The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1696
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36020 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47693 - 15/06/09 02:01 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: NanaT]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Hi NanaT

I have sent you a personal message, thought I would let you know because it was 4 months before I realised someone had sent me my first one, dozy me!

#47913 - 22/06/09 10:31 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
Calluna Offline

okay.....so you remember earlier on in this post how I was going on about being scared of crossing fields with cattle in (on my own). Just read that a woman has been killed near Hawes whilst going through a field of cattle. She had 2 dogs with her but they were both on leads. This does nothing for my confidence in September!

#47929 - 22/06/09 08:06 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
This same last weekend, during my 3 day tip I noticed that whilst crossing two fields with cows and calfs, that the cows were more protective than usual and turned to face me at closer quarters than normal. I just stuck to what I always do and marched confidently on in as a straight a line as possible and as wide a possible berth, making sure not to look them in the eye.In fact to carry on through and totally ignore them, works for me.
Dave.

#49375 - 02/08/09 12:12 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Slogger]
KatC Offline

If you have a dog with you the cows will be far more interested in it than you. If they start to come towards you LET GO OF THE DOG. I can't stress this enough. The dog will outrun the cows easily - you can't if they stampede. You can meet up with your dog in the next field. Don't try and protect your dog from the cows as they are protecting their herd and will go through you to get to it!

#49382 - 02/08/09 01:18 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: KatC]
m/ark Offline

Loc: Cirencester.
I have to say I walk with my dog among cows every day, my advice is they will not bother you unless you act like you are scared stiff, if you run they will run after you, carry on as normal show some balls and walk as if you are the boss, if they come towards you, walk towards them. they will back off first, I just feel too many people are givin advice about cows that dont understand them, I can sit in the field and yes they will come around and suround me with my dog and calfs in tow, they will sniff as well, but as soon as I go boo they run as they are spooked. the worst thing you can do is panic, how do you think the farmer controls them? sometimes you may get the odd one will balls that will show a bit of agresion but stand up to it and it will back down, remeber they are heard animals and will all follow the leader if he or she runs they all run.

if you let your dog go it is more likly to spook them in to a frenzy and cause injury to the cows as they tend to run and can slip over. Remeber it is their field.

#50217 - 17/08/09 01:29 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
tictag Offline

Loc: manchester uk
Hi,

I will be doing the Dales way in July 2009. With my past experiencies with the wieght of the rucksack, I do recommend the luggage transfers, even if you have to pay twice for it. It will save all the aches and pains what goes with it.

If your not taking Sherpa's luggage service, then I hope you have a fantastic time.

Paul

#50219 - 17/08/09 07:21 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: tictag]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: tictag
Hi,

I will be doing the Dales way in July 2009. With my past experiencies with the wieght of the rucksack, I do recommend the luggage transfers, even if you have to pay twice for it. It will save all the aches and pains what goes with it.

If your not taking Sherpa's luggage service, then I hope you have a fantastic time.

Blimey, tictag, if I were you I'd have a word with Lounge Lizard about the late delivery of your post - he has connections in such matters, I understand.

Paul

#50220 - 17/08/09 09:16 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: tictag]
Calluna Offline

Originally Posted By: tictag
Hi,

Paul

Thanks tictag. I am using B&B's so can pack fairly light, it's only for 5 days after all.
Really looking forward to it now that September is nearly here grin

#50610 - 30/08/09 01:10 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
Daphne Offline

Hi Calluna

I just finished the Dales Way, walking on my own the whole way. There were lots of other walkers about, though far fewer once you get past Sedbergh. I didn't stay overnight, except for one night at Burneside - I caught public transport to and from Leeds at each stage, which was easy enough to arrange, and quite good fun in its own right - the Dales bus goes through some fantastic scenery, and the Settle - Carlisle railway is spectacular. That got harder towards the Cumbria end, as it meant much of the day was taken up getting to and from the walk, which put pressure on walking time, leaving very little leeway for errors in way finding (and unfortunately, it was the Cumbria end where the way finding was more of a problem.) Hence the decision to overnight in Burneside.

The only problem I struck on the whole way was an incredibly muddy field after Lambrigg Head, where I sank to just below the knees, and this was followed immediately by an electric fence. The couple who'd gone through an hour or so ahead of me didn't have any of the problem with the fence (they did get mud, but I don't think they sank quite as far as I did). However, a couple going through the next day did tangle with the fence. I didn't intially connect the fence to a problem farmer - it was the landlady at the B&B I stayed at who did that for me - she even guessed the farm where it happened as lots of her guests have had experiences there. Apart from the one instance, every one else was really good. And, the 'wilder bits' of the Cam area and the three peaks (I took the alternative route over the Galloway Gate instead of dropping down immediately into Dent Dale), were a doddle compared to that Cumbrian field and fence. However it will all probably have cleared up by the time you reach it as my land lady sent off emails to the appropriate contacts about the fence when I told her about it.

The way marking is really good for the majority of the Way, though it does get vague on some farms after Sedbergh. This was commented on by several other walkers walking the same leg the same day.

From Ilkley to Buckden the other walkers I came across were a mix of day walkers, families and locals etc wandering the Wharfe, not necessarily the Dales Way. After Buckden, it narrowed to mostly (but not exclusively) Dales Way walkers, but also Ribble Way and Pennine way walkers. By the time I got to Sedbergh, I was meeting walkers who were there for the Howgills (?) area.

I've found walking on my own to be more sociable than walking with a group - it is amazing how easy it is to strike up conversations with locals and other walkers when you are on your own. I do that much more often on my own than when I am with a group.

The Dales Way is a beautiful walk, and I'm really glad I took the time out to do it. I do recommend doing it in shorter sections as that enables you to stop, look and enjoy the scenery.

Have fun.

#50616 - 30/08/09 06:47 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Daphne]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
An electric fence that causes such a problem can usually be sorted out by connecting it to something nearby, such as barbed wire fence, that reduces its power or short circuits it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917