The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44852 - 29/01/09 11:01 PM Hadrian's Wall
bluwbird Offline

Loc: Notts/ Derbys border
My first post so be gentle! Lol!

I'm still in the planning stage, but I want to walk Hadrian's Wall from West to East in 4 days in late July, to raise money for Cancer Research.

I can easily walk 10 miles so want a challenging walk.
I don't know the country though, so need all the advice I can get. As the family will be going too, we need a camp site, we were thinking of Haltwhistle as a base. Would that be a good place?

Is there a "must have" guide, there are so many to choose from, so if you'd recommend one, if you've done the walk, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.

#44854 - 30/01/09 02:48 AM Re: Hadrian's Wall [Re: bluwbird]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I can't help you on which is the best guide, but a must read before the walk is
"Walk Along the Wall" by Hunter Davies. It was invaluable for me and a good read.

#45066 - 05/02/09 07:38 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall [Re: Gregg]
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
I walked it W-E two years ago as part of a longer charity walk and did it quite comfortably in four days. You can read about it here:

www.blencathra.org.uk/cfwalk

#45578 - 06/03/09 08:17 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall [Re: Fellwanderer]
bluwbird Offline

Loc: Notts/ Derbys border
Fellwanderer,

That is a great read, I can't wait to do the walk.

Gregg, I've now got a couple of books, one from either side and one of the maps. A friend suggested that I get a gps to keep a track of distances actually covered on the laptop which is tempting but a bit pricey. My husband will be doing the taxi service at day start and finish and I'll have my dog with me, possibly even my 11 year old daughter.

It's just a matter of training and getting some new walking boots.

#45583 - 07/03/09 05:47 AM Re: Hadrian's Wall [Re: bluwbird]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: bluwbird
Fellwanderer,

That is a great read, I can't wait to do the walk.

Gregg, I've now got a couple of books, one from either side and one of the maps. A friend suggested that I get a gps to keep a track of distances actually covered on the laptop which is tempting but a bit pricey. My husband will be doing the taxi service at day start and finish and I'll have my dog with me, possibly even my 11 year old daughter.

It's just a matter of training and getting some new walking boots.

Good luck with it, but you might find a GPS gadget more trouble than its worth and unnecessary extra weight.

#45588 - 08/03/09 07:03 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Fellwanderer Offline

Loc: Durham
Thanks bluwbird.

I'd agree with LL about the usefulness of a gps. Unless you really want one and would be using it again in the future, I really wouldn't bother. I've got one and I can't even remember the last time I used it - certainly didn't on that long walk.

#45610 - 09/03/09 11:12 PM Re: Hadrian's Wall [Re: Fellwanderer]
JawD Offline

Loc: Lanchester, Co Durham
Depending on what kind of Phone you have, things like iPhone's can use GPS applications. I've tried a few that measure your distance and altitude over time. Bit quirky and not great, but free if you felt like messing around. I tried one called RunKeeper.

Im just planning my walk and just about have it nailed. Doing it in 5 days though, not 4!

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917