The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45947 - 27/03/09 12:58 AM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Harland]
Night Owl Offline

Sheep aside, if I find a sufficienty rotten animal am I allowed to take its horns/antlers/skull as a trophy of my walk? or is there a law which I am not aware of regarding carcasses (skeletons in particular). This seems a flippant question but would like to know anyway.

#45949 - 27/03/09 05:52 AM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Night Owl]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Night Owl
Sheep aside, if I find a sufficienty rotten animal am I allowed to take its horns/antlers/skull as a trophy of my walk? or is there a law which I am not aware of regarding carcasses (skeletons in particular). This seems a flippant question but would like to know anyway.

I doubt if the farmer would object, and having a sheeps skull on the coffee table would be a nice alternative to walking round in a tacky Coast To Coast T shirt all the time.

#46053 - 01/04/09 12:01 AM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Night Owl Offline

Just another thing too. How many calories can I expect to burn if I'm walking an average of say 20 miles a day with a backpack of 30Lbs? I dont want to run myself into the ground if I can help it. Once again thank you for everyone's advice and help!

Night Owl.

#46063 - 01/04/09 08:01 AM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Night Owl]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Night Owl
Just another thing too. How many calories can I expect to burn if I'm walking an average of say 20 miles a day with a backpack of 30Lbs? I dont want to run myself into the ground if I can help it. Once again thank you for everyone's advice and help!

Night Owl.

It would depend on how much you weigh as well.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019 - 2020 NOTHING!.

#47212 - 25/05/09 11:47 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Harland]
Night Owl Offline

Dear All,

Thanks for your advice so far i'll be starting my journey on the 29th of May and after quite a bit of training feel confident I can do it in 14-16 days. I'll be starting at Kirk Yetholm instead of Edale (as it's closer to my house at the end).

I do have to state that I am absolutely 'having kittens' but looking forward to the challenge, though I'm a bit dissappointed with how much I've raised so far (hoping it'll pick up when I actually doing it) I will write up my journey when I get back.

Once again, Thanks for your help and advice everyone,

kind regards,

Nightowl.

www.justgiving.com/joecolgan
www.jtsma.org.uk

#47652 - 14/06/09 04:30 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
That sleeping bag sounds very light Dave... was this done last August? It's a good av. pace with 30lb sac.
cheers
lwm

#47691 - 15/06/09 01:47 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: lightweightmick]
RedDevil Offline

Loc: Rochdale
i suppose loads have said/asked this.... but why cant walkers of the Pennine way just Camp on the moors?

i am doing the walk in 6 weeks time, this coincides with the 6 week holidays as my 15 year old son wants to come with me.

we was thinking of setting up camp, where we are...so to speak, pack up and leave early (taking any mess with us btw)

is there a law against this.... obviously cheaper and easier too, as we dont have to look for campsites each day smile

#47710 - 15/06/09 05:13 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: RedDevil]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Byelaws and regulations by Nat Trust and Nat Parks abound.

I've been told that on Kinder Scout the wardens do evening patrols to send campers back down.

Wild camping is OK if people do as you suggest - pitch late, depart early, leave no mess.

But if you ask, the official answer is "no" in England.

#47780 - 17/06/09 12:06 AM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: RedDevil]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: RedDevil
i suppose loads have said/asked this.... but why cant walkers of the Pennine way just Camp on the moors?

i am doing the walk in 6 weeks time, this coincides with the 6 week holidays as my 15 year old son wants to come with me.

we was thinking of setting up camp, where we are...so to speak, pack up and leave early (taking any mess with us btw)

is there a law against this.... obviously cheaper and easier too, as we dont have to look for campsites each day smile

Hi RedDevil,
I discreetly camped at times, pitched late, left early, no mess, no problems. However, I found that logistically (access to food) it was often more convenient to make for a location that had a campground or YHA facility by the end of day, also some areas of the moors where I would have pitched, I found were too 'boggy' and would have resulted in tent floor seepage.
Good luck with the walk, great that you can do it with your son!
Geo.

#47789 - 17/06/09 03:52 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Geo]
rogere Offline

Loc: UK
Get a dark green tent, put it up at dusk, leave early the next day and leave no mess and you will be fine!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917