The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45126 - 09/02/09 02:11 AM Flights from London to Manchester
LizzieS. Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
I was wondering why no one flies up to Manchester from London as it's so very cheap. We'll be arriving from Boston on Sept 20 at 6:50 in the morning (Heathrow) and there's a flight out of Gatwick on BA at 10:00 for only 41.28pp. Then of course we'd have to get the train then bus (?) to St Bees, right? It would save us so much time as the flight is only an hour. I just found this particular airfare on edreams.com.

Has anyone else done this travelling from the U.S. or even anyone from the London area???

#45129 - 09/02/09 09:53 AM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: LizzieS.]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Hi Liz,

It may be worthwhile but it is very unlikely that you will get from Heathrow to Gaywick in time. IF the plane arrives on time then, although I haven't travelled through Heathrow lately, by the time you get your luggage it will be about 08.30. There is no way, unless you fly (I mean by aeroplane!), you will ever get to Gatwick in time to board a plane by 10.00.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#45130 - 09/02/09 10:17 AM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: Harland]
uncle arthur Offline

Hi Liz,

Harland is right, you will fail to make your connection.

Internal flights in the States are rather like hopping on a bus, things dont run that smoothly over here, we dont do internal flights very well.

By the time you've paid for taxis, trains and buses you will have paid out around 150 and from the time you land at Heathrow to the time you arrive at St.Bees will take approx. 6 hours, that's if things run smoothly.

Cancel your Gatwick flight, hire a car at Heathrow for the day and drive up there, quicker,cheaper and less stressful.

#45135 - 09/02/09 03:40 PM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: LizzieS.]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: LizzieS.
I was wondering why no one flies up to Manchester from London as it's so very cheap. We'll be arriving from Boston on Sept 20 at 6:50 in the morning (Heathrow) and there's a flight out of Gatwick on BA at 10:00 for only 41.28pp. Then of course we'd have to get the train then bus (?) to St Bees, right? It would save us so much time as the flight is only an hour. I just found this particular airfare on edreams.com.

Has anyone else done this travelling from the U.S. or even anyone from the London area???

Liz, The reason why no one flies up to Manchester from London is because in Britain, being a smaller country than the USA, it is more practical to catch a train, railway stations being practically in the city centre whereas airports are several miles out, and some of the London Euston to Manchhester Picadilly trains taking just 128 minutes.
As for getting from Heathrow to St Bees, surely it's easiest just to get the underground into London and then just change trains at Carlisle. Times may be different by the autumn, and would be slower on a Sunday, but travelling tomorrow for example someone could leave Heathrow about 10.20am to catch the 11.30 from Euston arriving at Carlisle 2.46pm and then get the 3.12 which arrives in St Bees at 4.28pm, a relaxing journey and some lovely scenery too especially along the Cumbrian coast.

#45141 - 09/02/09 05:52 PM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: Lounge Lizard]
LizzieS. Offline

Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Originally Posted By: LizzieS.

Liz, The reason why no one flies up to Manchester from London is because in Britain, being a smaller country than the USA, it is more practical to catch a train, railway stations being practically in the city centre whereas airports are several miles out, and some of the London Euston to Manchhester Picadilly trains taking just 128 minutes.
As for getting from Heathrow to St Bees, surely it's easiest just to get the underground into London and then just change trains at Carlisle. Times may be different by the autumn, and would be slower on a Sunday, but travelling tomorrow for example someone could leave Heathrow about 10.20am to catch the 11.30 from Euston arriving at Carlisle 2.46pm and then get the 3.12 which arrives in St Bees at 4.28pm, a relaxing journey and some lovely scenery too especially along the Cumbrian coast.

Why thanks LL. That's the reason I asked. So, we hop the tube (to which station?) and nip to Carlisle and then get another train to St. Bees (I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, sometime, but I can't find it). Thank goodness I have 7 months to prepare, LOL. At least we'll be able to sleep on the train...

#45142 - 09/02/09 06:05 PM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: LizzieS.]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Liz,
On the Underground from Heathrow, it's the Piccadilly line -
either to Green Park then the Victoria line to Euston,
or to Leicester Square then the Northern line to Euston.

For the whole journey from Heathrow to St Bees there's quite a variety of fares including some bargains . These have been discussed on this forum and further advice can be given again, perhaps nearer the time.

#45144 - 09/02/09 08:49 PM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Liz,
Two alternatives to getting the Underground from Heathrow into London are
(1) catch the Heathrow Express train which runs every quarter hour and takes just 22 minutes to Paddington, then it's a short taxi ride to Euston, or
(2) get the Railair coach link from Heathrow to Watford Junction railway station ( which is 17 miles north of Euston ) BUT very few of the Euston to Carlisle through trains stop at Watford Junction so you would probably have an additional change of trains.

#45148 - 09/02/09 11:18 PM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Liz, I've done this routine from Heathrow several times when going up north to walk. and will do it again for the C2C in May.

The train is definately the best way to go. For St. Bees, best is to go through Carlisle, then the local down to St. Bees. Schedules and prices are on www.trainline.com. Best prices occur about six weeks before the trip, currently about 36 pounds. Prices will change dramatically with time, so you have to stay on top of it. You purchase the ticket online and pick it up at the train station. To get the best price for the time you want to leave i.e. 11:30, you may have to get your online ticket to Carlisle, then get the local ticket to St. Bees at the Carlisle station (that price doesn't change).

At Heathrow, it will take an hour to go through immigration and customs, then a long walk to the underground station (you will need about four pounds for the tube). Get off at the Euston station in London and go to the fast ticket machine to collect your ticket.

Thats all there is to it !! Good luck.

#45149 - 09/02/09 11:33 PM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: Gregg]
LizzieS. Offline

Originally Posted By: Gregg
Liz, I've done this routine from Heathrow several times when going up north to walk. and will do it again for the C2C in May.

The train is definately the best way to go. For St. Bees, best is to go through Carlisle, then the local down to St. Bees. Schedules and prices are on www.trainline.com. Best prices occur about six weeks before the trip, currently about 36 pounds. Prices will change dramatically with time, so you have to stay on top of it. You purchase the ticket online and pick it up at the train station. To get the best price for the time you want to leave i.e. 11:30, you may have to get your online ticket to Carlisle, then get the local ticket to St. Bees at the Carlisle station (that price doesn't change).

At Heathrow, it will take an hour to go through immigration and customs, then a long walk to the underground station (you will need about four pounds for the tube). Get off at the Euston station in London and go to the fast ticket machine to collect your ticket.

Thats all there is to it !! Good luck.

Thanks Gregg. Between you and LL, we'll get there quite nicely. I used to live in London in 1971/72, first in Stamford Brook (Emlyn Road) on the District Line, then on Gloucester Terrace (no. 64) near Paddington (though then it was labled as Bayswater), then in Notting Hill Gate I think in Pembridge Villas. I was SO young (20/21) and the "flats" (I used the term loosely) in Paddington and Nottinghill were microscopic bedsits. Ah, memories. I like now much better thank you. And I like walking ALMOST better than anything. ; o )

#45192 - 12/02/09 02:49 AM Re: Flights from London to Manchester [Re: LizzieS.]
GreenMtnDave Offline

Lizzie-
Have you considered fyling directly to Manchester and taking train from there? This will save a lot of time and get you into St Bees early afternoon. I've done the CtoC twice traveling via Manchester. Train station is attached to the airport. Lierally walked across the terminal, stopping at an ATM first of course, and then got tix for train and left with little delay. I realize train connections are fewer these days so more advance planning may be in order but it could make for a shorter and more hassle free journey to St Bee's.
Best luck with whatever...

dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917