The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45595 - 09/03/09 10:24 AM Baggage carrying
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I am planning an Offa's Dyke trip over Easter, and I note that Sherpa don't do baggage carrying on Offa's Dyke. Does anyone know a reasonable alternative? I have had one quote of 300 which seems a lot to me (and perhaps puts into perspective people saying that Sherpa is expensive on a previous message).

I usually carry my own stuff, but I'm currently not very fit and so I thought I might use a baggage carrier if there was one - so I can ease myself back into it. Any thoughts?

#45597 - 09/03/09 01:55 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Bliss 60]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
When I booked to do the walk the B&B's all agreed to take my baggage on to the next B&B. Of course there would be a charge. However we are talking a few years ago and I never actually got to do the walk because of foot and mouth....2001?

So simply ask when you book your accommodation and don't forget to offer to pay the petrol costs.

#45598 - 09/03/09 03:15 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie
When I booked to do the walk the B&B's all agreed to take my baggage on to the next B&B. Of course there would be a charge. However we are talking a few years ago and I never actually got to do the walk because of foot and mouth....2001?

So simply ask when you book your accommodation and don't forget to offer to pay the petrol costs.

Any accomodation provider might be insulted with an offer to "pay the petrol costs".
They may or not be willing to provide this service but if they do surely you should take account of other costs of running the vehicle and their time.
Alternatively you could use taxis but that could prove quite expensive.
So perhaps it would be best just to get yourself fit and carry it all yourself !
Incidentally, how many days have you allowed for the walk ?

#45599 - 09/03/09 03:51 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Bliss 60 Offline

I was thinking that offering just petrol might be a little cheeky. But its not a bad idea - I might sound people out and see how it goes. As you say - I could just get a bit fitter - I've done it before!!!

I'm not intending to do the tight 5 day schedule previously discussed on this site. I'm going for the more leisurely schedule below:

Day Zero - the little bit from Chepstow to Sedbury cliffs and back - 3 miles
Day One - Chepstow - Monmouth - 16.8 miles
Day two - Monmouth - Pandy - 15.6 miles
Day three - Pandy - Hay on Wye - 17.2 miles
Day four - Hay on Wye - Kington - 14.4 miles
Day five - Kington - Knighton - 12.6 miles
Day six - Knighton - Little Brompton - 15.4 miles
Day seven - Little Brompton - Llanymynech - 21.2 miles (hopefully I'll be fitter by then)
Day eight - Llanymynech - Llangollen - 16.8 miles
Day nine - Llangollen - Clywd Gate - 15.4 miles
Day ten - Clywd Gate - Bodfari - 11.4 miles
Day eleven - Bodfari - Prestatyn - 11 miles

How does that sound?

#45600 - 09/03/09 04:00 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
I was thinking that offering just petrol might be a little cheeky. But its not a bad idea - I might sound people out and see how it goes. As you say - I could just get a bit fitter - I've done it before!!!

I'm not intending to do the tight 5 day schedule previously discussed on this site. I'm going for the more leisurely schedule below:

Day Zero - the little bit from Chepstow to Sedbury cliffs and back - 3 miles
Day One - Chepstow - Monmouth - 16.8 miles
Day two - Monmouth - Pandy - 15.6 miles
Day three - Pandy - Hay on Wye - 17.2 miles
Day four - Hay on Wye - Kington - 14.4 miles
Day five - Kington - Knighton - 12.6 miles
Day six - Knighton - Little Brompton - 15.4 miles
Day seven - Little Brompton - Llanymynech - 21.2 miles (hopefully I'll be fitter by then)
Day eight - Llanymynech - Llangollen - 16.8 miles
Day nine - Llangollen - Clywd Gate - 15.4 miles
Day ten - Clywd Gate - Bodfari - 11.4 miles
Day eleven - Bodfari - Prestatyn - 11 miles

How does that sound?

Eleven days should be leasurely enough.
The 300 you mentioned earlier, at about 1.50 a mile, might not be a lot different to what taxi fares would be.
Have a good walk, and try not think about the fact that you are heading towards Prestatyn.

#45605 - 09/03/09 07:37 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Thats a similar schedule to what we did some years ago, minus a day. We had time for a few lunch time pub sessions en route. The probable reason why its 300 for baggage carrying is that not that many walkers do the route, or at least not that many are on the route at the same time, unlike the C2C. Still, its an LDP well worth doing I definatly going to do it again sometime the other way, North to South.
Dave.

#45618 - 10/03/09 06:07 AM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Bliss 60 Offline

[/quote]

Have a good walk, and try not think about the fact that you are heading towards Prestatyn. [/quote]

I've never been to Prestatyn - what's the problem with the place? I was only planning to get the train back from there - on the basis of what you are saying - I presume this is a good idea.

#45623 - 10/03/09 01:38 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Bliss 60]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
I simply ask whether they would be willing to transport my baggage to my next B&B and say that obviously I will pay for their petrol and time. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with anyone taking insult and everyone was very willing.

I have done this in the past with other long distance walks and to be honest I have always been met with a response something like "oh I am sure we can arrange something".

#45624 - 10/03/09 02:52 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
[/quote]

Have a good walk, and try not think about the fact that you are heading towards Prestatyn.

I've never been to Prestatyn - what's the problem with the place? I was only planning to get the train back from there - on the basis of what you are saying - I presume this is a good idea. [/quote]

Not so much a problem with the place, but I walked north to south to avoid the prospect of spending six days walking towards it. Other than Wigan, Prestatyn is arguably one of the most dismal, god forsaken settlements in Britain, its only claims to fame being that John Prescott and Carol Vorderman were born there, and they both soon moved away and keep quiet about the fact, and that that dreadful 1970 film 'On The Buses' was filmed there. Hopefully you won't have too long a wait for your train back.

#45626 - 10/03/09 03:53 PM Re: Baggage carrying [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie
I simply ask whether they would be willing to transport my baggage to my next B&B and say that obviously I will pay for their petrol and time. I haven't had any problems whatsoever with anyone taking insult and everyone was very willing.

I have done this in the past with other long distance walks and to be honest I have always been met with a response something like "oh I am sure we can arrange something".

'Insulted' isn't perhaps the appropriate word but if I was asking for such a service I would expect to pay at least 25p per mile for their return trip plus about 10 an hour. There is though a lot of goodwill out there as you suggest and I remember one publican where we stayed for a weekend offering to drive us a good distance from the pub to give us a better day walk with no suggestion of any payment ( but we were good customers both evenings ).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917