The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45616 - 10/03/09 04:22 AM Taxi Access
Arial Offline

I am walking with a friend this year. Mary is 70+ and invited herself along. While I have asked her if she was sure a few times, I haven't had the heart to tell her I just don't think she can do the walk. Recently, Mary has been dropping hints that she may use a taxi on a couple of days. Considering I have had gigantic blisters, broken toes, and a sprained ankle and continued walking, taking a taxi has never been a consideration for me. We will be walking E2W, so my question for ya'll is if you think she could take a taxi from any point to any other point (with BSH being the exception)?

#45620 - 10/03/09 08:56 AM Re: Taxi Access [Re: Arial]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
Arial. Is this you back again after a couple of years break?

If Mary chats nicely to Sherpa I am sure that they can give her a lift in the luggage van if she feels faint.

#45632 - 10/03/09 07:05 PM Re: Taxi Access [Re: Oldun]
geofconnor Offline

Loc: Katonah, NY, USA
Arial

If Sherpa have stopped doing E-W then it may be difficult to get a lift with them.

When I did W-E my wife did half of it with me but on the longer days she got a taxi from the B&B (after a lie in) and met me half way. For instance she met me at Dandy Wiske on the Richmond Ingleby day. This way she didn't miss a days walk but managed to avoid the blisters etc. by keeping her walks to 12 miles or less.

Geof

#45636 - 11/03/09 03:06 AM Re: Taxi Access [Re: Oldun]
Arial Offline

Oldun,

Has it really been a couple of years? After my 2007 walk and 6 weeks away from home, the boyfriend said I couldn't go away again. Well, I spent last summer 5 minutes away from work, making plans for this coming summer's walk. So yes, I am back and happy to chat.

#45638 - 11/03/09 03:10 AM Re: Taxi Access [Re: geofconnor]
Arial Offline

Geof,

As you mention, Sherpa no longer services E-W, and they have forced me to be unfaitful. Thank you for the great idea about half-days. I can mention this to Mary as an alternative.

Did you have any problem getting a taxi from any town? I always try to anticipate problems and work through them in advance. My boss and I have come to refer to this particular trait as "my inner border collie."

#45644 - 11/03/09 01:45 PM Re: Taxi Access [Re: Arial]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Your B&B accommodation hosts may also be willing to take Mary on or pick her up. I sometimes finish my walk for the day somewhere other than where my acommodation is. I have always found my B&B hosts willing to pick me up and drop me off at the same spot the next morning. As I have mentioned in the Offas Dyke Section, I always offer to pay them for their time and petrol.

#45647 - 11/03/09 05:30 PM Re: Taxi Access [Re: Janice & Rottie]
geofconnor Offline

Loc: Katonah, NY, USA
Arial

No problem all; the B&Bs will help in this regard. It might seem a long way between stages when you are walking but for a taxi it is peanuts, even wuth detours. All the drivers of taxis (4) that my wife took said that they often get calls from people who are lost or have had enough for the day. Of course in the Lakes it is a bit more difficult as the detours around the main ridges are long, especially Grasmere to Stonethwaite and Stonethwaite to Enerdale. For the former, a bus from Grasmere to Keswick - a nice town worth a few hours- and another bus later to Stonethwaite and for the latter Mary could get the bus up from Stonewthaite to Honister pass and then maybe arrange a taxi to come to the end of the north shore of Ennerdale to shorten that day.

Geof

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917