The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45708 - 14/03/09 08:07 PM travel to St Bees Head and back from RHB?
rjb1978 Offline

I am in Bedfordshire - about 45 miles north of London. To get to Carlisle by bus is 56 each way. then i still got to get to SBH by train - so I guess about 70 quid, then similar getting back from RHB = nearly a ton fifty!! I presume train will be even more expensive. Does anyone know any cheaper alternatives or secrets. It is cheaper if you get a return ticket rather than two secrets, which is why I thought a return to Darlington, then to SBH and then from RHB back to Darlo at the end. All complicated, but i have time on my hands (unemployed) but am looking to save as much money as poss. Anyone know any secrets?

Thanks in advance smile

#45710 - 14/03/09 09:42 PM Re: travel to St Bees Head and back from RHB? [Re: rjb1978]
Howie Offline

Loc: Cumbria
Sometimes when I travel by train I always book well in advance and the lady in the ticket office always looks for the best deals on offer. Sometimes it is cheaper getting single tickets than return tickets and if I am going to somewhere in the country that is not a stop on a Inter City train she will give me a ticket to the nearest Inter City stop to my destination then another ticket from the Inter City stop to my destination which can often work out cheaper than one ticket direct to my destination.
In your case living in Bedfordshire I would maybe try getting a ticket from either Watford or Milton Keynes to Carlisle on the West coast line and another ticket from Carlisle to St Bees. A single ticket from Carlisle to St Bees wil cost about 7 or 8 pounds.

#45711 - 14/03/09 10:29 PM Re: travel to St Bees Head and back from RHB? [Re: Howie]
rjb1978 Offline

cheers for the reply. i have done a bit more research, looks like the best bet is to down to london (15), then a coach from victoria to carlisle - 35quid, then down to st bees (10). Getting back is a lot easier, just 35-45 from whitby all the way back to biggleswade, depending on how much notice i give them. total 100 there and back, so not too bad it turns out. Train fare biggy to stbees was about 100 one way, surprised it was so cheap from whitby to biggy. it should just be a few quid to get from rhb to whitby i am hoping.

#45723 - 16/03/09 11:07 AM Re: travel to St Bees Head and back from RHB? [Re: rjb1978]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Try www.nationalrail.co.uk well in advance and there's a good chance of getting a real bargain for any route.

#45727 - 16/03/09 06:33 PM Re: travel to St Bees Head and back from RHB? [Re: Lounge Lizard]
rjb1978 Offline

cheers for help. Am sorted now will have to get a train down to london - 15, then a bus to carlisle - 35, then a train to st bees head - 10. Coming back is just a train from Whitby all the way to Biggleswade, with 3 changes - 23 all in.

Total will be about 83 all in, which isn't bad imo.

I've booked it all, so am comitted now - will start bright and early friday 27th, and return bus is wed 8th april. clocks go forward on sat 28th, so should have loads of daylight while i'm up there, and 12 days should easily be enough to finish the walk in. can't wait now

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917