The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36002 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46196 - 08/04/09 08:19 PM Re: Walking Speed? Blisters? Pack Weight? Help Please! [Re: Slogger]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I would definetly cut out the thermal mug and get a cheap plastic one, weight almost nothing. Other things I would drop replace with something lighter are : Windproof fleece, mess tins, cooking set(small micro gas folding gas stove with smallest gas cartridge lasted me 10 days and was still half full) 2 x 500mil bottles instead of hydration pouch and litre bottle, leatherman,walking poles and if carrying tent why take a Bivvy bag, even in winter, if cold just sleep in clothes.
Dave.

#46202 - 09/04/09 01:02 AM Re: Walking Speed? Blisters? Pack Weight? Help Please! [Re: Zadren]
The Lost Walker Offline

Loc: Grimsby
Hi Zarden
Great choice for your cause......I'm ex forces, you guys n girls are doing a great job out there, BZ to all of you, (cant say I agree that you should be there but we wont get into politics) I,m just a bit bitter lost, 20 shipmates on HMS Sheffield in the Falklands Conflict, (only 18 yrs old, bad crap stays with for a long time & it was my 1st ship)

Anyway back to the thread...when do you start your walk, two of us start on the 17th Sept plan to be RHB on the 28th Sept. Hope we can meet somewhere along the route.

The only advice that I can give you is start on shorter walks and easier terrain....get used to your kit and build up the weight slowly. Increase the distance and level of difficulty of terrain with each walk. Just done Lose Hill, Mam Tor Winnits Pass from Hope, only covered about 8 miles, but it was the first walk with some half decent hills since we started training, took about 5.5 hours, could have done it quicker but didn't want to rush off the hills, was carrying about 10 kgs which is a lot more that we intend carrying on the c2c. When we first started training we jumped straight into a 25 mile walk, carrying weight and suffered (we thought we could do it because we spend all day walking in ours day job)

Lesson learnt, advice from this forum taken on board and now enjoying the training. Don't over estimate your abilities (we did!!!!)

Can't give you advice on what to take as we are using the Sherpa Van service to carry our kit, but will still be taking the bare minimum, some on here may think we are wimping out but we want to enjoy the walk, so will only be carrying a daypack. We are also camping at most locations, you can get good quality pop up tents which only weigh about 2 kgs and other quality light weight equipment.

Unless they have drastically changed what they issue these days, I would ditch the military issue kit, from what I remember it is big, bulky and weighs a ton (but I left in 1990) so they may have moved on from World War 2 kit issue!!!

Keep safe on your next tour smile

Good luck

TLW

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917