The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1685
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35966 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46161 - 07/04/09 12:21 PM Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls
Adnan Offline

Since I haf heard about PW (about 2 years now). I wanted to do it, but have got no navigation skills. I consider myself fit as I have been running. Did GNR (2h8min)last year. I cud walk 15 miles in 4 hrs. and Can run 10 miles in 1h30m. Wud like to do PW as quickly as possible. I enjoy camping out and would try to keep the budget as low as possible. I haf read few posts and found out most ppl doing it around May time. i wud be glad if any of yous would like to haf me on board :-).

#46162 - 07/04/09 02:44 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Adnan, If your nacvigation skills are no better than your spelling ability then it's no surprise that you are seeking a conpanion for the walk, but you are unlikely to get many offers on here without giving a bit more information about yourself - sex, age, occupation, etc.

#46166 - 07/04/09 03:32 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Adnan Offline

Sorry, its not the spelling actually, its just the way i got used to type it in sms.

And thank you for the reply.

I am called Adnan. I am 22, male. I am an accountant. Resides in Sunderland. I have light brown skin, black hairs, brown eyes. I am 5.7 tall and about 65kg heavy. I dont drink or smoke. I started running in October 2007 to get fitter. Loved it and been doing it since then. Did few cross country races and a half marathon. I haf also thought of doing leeds half marathon this year. I can get along with anyone.

I hope this doesn't sound like a dating profile, eh ;-)

#46167 - 07/04/09 04:25 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I guess that as you don't drink then Lounge Lizard will not be walking with you; unless of course you let him drink your share!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#46169 - 07/04/09 05:24 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Harland]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Adnan,
If as it seems you have limited walking experience then I think the fastest you should looking for on the PW is 16 days, as many allow 21 days for the route. As I only have 9 days available again, Im afraid I cant accomomodate you. Good luck to you anyway.
Dave.

#46173 - 07/04/09 06:31 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Slogger]
Adnan Offline

Thank you for the reply. I might have little walking experience but I am looking to do it in 10 days or under. 16 days is too much and 21 days is way tooooo much :S. I can do it in 9 days, wont be a problem. If I can run it I think walking wouldn't be much harder/different. If I could able to go by myself I think I would haf done it in 7 days. Wud like to give my best shot.

#46174 - 07/04/09 08:20 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
I'm not sure you even know what the pennine way is, can you really do 38 miles a day for seven days?

#46176 - 07/04/09 10:25 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Nick Mac]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
If you are going south to north I don`t reckon I`ll be seeing you but good luck with it anyway. Joyce
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#46178 - 08/04/09 12:16 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: joyce taylor]
Adnan Offline

You are right Nick. I dont know what the PW is about. But I am quite sure it will be challenging and exciting. I like to take challenges. I wouldnt even mind doing 50 miles a day. I know its too much to say. Anyways, if someone can help me with the navigation skills that will be great.

I think if I go myself. I'll be circling around the same place again and again or end up in a dead zone, eh.

I m a gd company ppl! :-)

#46185 - 08/04/09 11:08 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

Gd Morning Every one.

I haf had a gd read of other topics. It does sound as if i was talking rubbish.

I haf plans to do it in late may or early june. And wud prefer to do it by my own (wudn't mind meeting ppl on the way) but the only problem is I am not good at navigation.

Could yous pls help me in improving my navigation skills. I am not sure where to start and how do i improve it :-S.

And, is the route well sign posted all the way?

#46188 - 08/04/09 05:07 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Robbie Offline

Loc: Cheshire, UK
Buy the Cicerone "Map & Compass" book by Pete Hawkins and then try using this knowledge out on the fells. Even with clear, sunny days, some parts of the Way would require basic compass skills (thats all I really have). Commonsense also goes along way. You could always buy one of the new GPS bits of kit that show Ordnance Survey maps to 1:25000.
Robbie

#46194 - 08/04/09 07:59 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

The problem is you dont have a lot of time and the art of navigation takes time out there in the hills getting experience. You can read all the books and have all the instruction, but it is learnt through making mistakes and learning from them. It is about compass work and not merely reading a map but understanding the map and attention to the smallest detail, and how to get back on track when you have wandered off route. The best navigators make mistakes all the time, however the art of it is to be able to recognise (in all conditions) as soon as possible when an error has occured so that getting back on route in the shortest possible doesnt become a major epic.
Dave.

#46200 - 08/04/09 10:38 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
A dutch couple were trying to walk down from Kirk Yetholm to Byrness last year not only with no compass but NO MAP or guide book luckily for then a guy was walking in the opposite direction and had a map and 2 guide books he loaned them one and wrote his address in the front so that they could send it back to him. They were still shaken when they got to Byrness and almost called it a day, they were surprised that navigation skills and maps were needed they thought there would be markers every couple of hundred yards. (they did continue and made it to the end)
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#46206 - 09/04/09 01:45 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: joyce taylor]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
You don't have to have excellent navigational skills but you do need commonsense, especially when things aren't going to plan ie. you realise you are not on the right path or the mist is coming down. I hold my hand up and say I couldn't take a compass bearing. So I rely on my map to tell me which way I should be going and the compass to point me in the general direction (ie. I need to be heading Northwest. Before each day's walk I study the map and look for critical features to confirm I am on the right path, and also escape routes if necessary.

If I were you, I would purchase a good compass from a walking shop and ask if they know of anyone who would be willing to teach you, other than that, simply get a book on the topic and practice.

#46210 - 09/04/09 02:16 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I suggest that whatever navigational skills you manage to aquire then you should also take the Trailblazer guide to the Pennine Way written by Edward de la Billiere and Keith Carter. The guide has 1:20,000 trail maps (3 1/8" to the mile) which should keep you on the right path. However if you go off the path you will be in trouble if you don't have a map and some understanding of how to read it.

By the way Edward de la Billiere is the son of General Sir Peter Edgar de la Cour de la Billière, KCB, KBE, DSO, MC & Bar. Sir Peter was the Commanding Officer of 22nd SAS where he managed the UK's problems in Northern Ireland, the Iranian Embassy Siege and the Falklands War. His son Edward was on TV a few years ago when he undertook and completed the 1,150 mile Iditarod Trail Race dog sled race in Alaska.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#46211 - 09/04/09 03:09 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Harland]
Nick Mac Offline

Loc: Cleckheaton
Try this for size, there are a few things they can send you.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/education/teachingresources/index.html

#46253 - 12/04/09 12:20 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Night Owl Offline

Dont despair its a learning curve (lernin kurv)! If you start with a compass and a map of where you live you can figure out how to read one and navigate more easily than if you have a map of elsewhere. Thats how I got my bearings and learnt the basics of it. Also I'm sure the Ordnance Survey people will be most helpful if you look on their website or e-mail them. wink

#46267 - 12/04/09 10:30 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Night Owl]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Navigation isn't really a problem as more than 120 miles of the route is paved.In fact I would go as far as saying its one of the easiest routes to navigate these days.The only difficult bits are Cross Fell in mist and the section from Lamberley to Greenhead which is very confusing even for those who are familiar with the terrain.

Best advice I can give you is to have a crack at it and see how you get on.Ten days might be a bit too ambitous to start with and I agree with Slogger that 16 days might be a far more realistic target.Biggest problem is your feet getting bashed up on the paving so make sure you have decent footwear that absorbs the shock of the ocnstant pounding.

#70715 - 02/09/12 12:25 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: tonyk]
Adnan Offline

Hello again. I am back after 3 years. I think i am more prepared this time and i would love to do PW next year sometime. I did the Hadrians Wall last weekend in one go. I was on my feet for 30 hours and the actual running/walking time was 25 hours. My legs were ok. only got bad back and shoulders off running with heavy backpack on (35 litre) and burning feet with blisters because i had road running shoes on and did 2/3 of the route with wet shoes on. I have learnt from this experience and it has boosted my confidence. i am going to attempt the C2C over 2 days and finally the PW in 5 days. That's my future plans. Love to hear from people who actually did it in 5-7 days.

#70724 - 03/09/12 12:07 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Read Wild Trails to Far Horizons by Mike Cudahy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wild-Trails-Far-Horizons-Ultra-distance/dp/004440381X

Its mainly about his numerous attempts,and record breaking run, on the sub three day PW and coast to coast record attempt.

#405711 - 06/08/13 02:34 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

Hello everyone.

Coast to Coast was done in May this year but I only ran 65 miles as this was done in a relay with club runners. We completed the Wainwrights C2C route in 43 hours. If I get enough time in September I might be tempted to do Solo Bike C2C route in 2 days.

Come next year, I would definitely have done the Pennines. Fingers crossed :-) I have been thinking about it few years now :-(

#405714 - 10/08/13 05:47 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

Doing really long distance stuff, especially from a younger age, you have to be aware of the price you may have to pay in the long term, although the thought of this is unlikely to prevent anyone with the passion, from not doing so.
Mike Cudahy had a double hip replacement several years ago and a guy in our village who once held the world veterans 24 hour record, is knacked with Osteoarthritis.
Though the thought of that won't stop me and probably won't stop you.
Dave.

#406169 - 06/01/14 11:23 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

Thanks Dave.

After feeling few niggles around my kneecap on my attempt of bob graham round last year I have now started strength workouts at the gym, hoping it makes a difference and I don't end up with all those injuries :-/

I am on planning stage now for S->N. Looking to start on the 2nd May bank holiday weekend (weather dependent). Would love to do it in 5 days maximum 7. So will be travelling light. No tent or sleeping bag for me, just loads of socks.

Going to start early from Edale and hoping to make it to Hawes in 36 hours and take a first stop at Hawes. Second Stop at Dufton/Alston and final stop at Bellingham/Byrness.

Just few questions,

Are there few cafe/shops along the route to get food/water ?

Is it safe to travel through night ? I get slightly scared walking through thick forest / cemeteries during night :-$

Do the hostels/hotels allow late check ins ?

Thanks

#406170 - 06/01/14 10:06 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

There are enough cafes and pubs to get food and water. The only problem with high mileage in short time is that many of these will closed when you pass through, ie, very early morning and late to overnight, so you will have to carry more to allow for that.
At night it is as safe as any trail, obviously you have to be more careful, especially with the navigation and there are some long desolate moorland sections. However a 7 day schedule near to June 21st, should allow all your movement to be done in daylight, and moving really fast even a 5 day schedule should only have you in semi darkness for an hour at each end. At that time of year outside of daylight hours will be a bit too late for arriving at most accomodation I would have thought. Although up to 9pm may be ok.
I don't know if you have already seen, but you can check out my blogs. Click on 'more' to see the full list and look for the two Pennine Way walks. Also the 'Spine Race'. which hopefully I will be having another crack at starting this Saturday 11th Jan.
https://www.blogger.com/home?pli=1
Good luck, Dave.

#406171 - 07/01/14 09:47 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Slogger]
Adnan Offline

Thanks Dave. I had to create an account to view that link but for some reason when I click on the link it takes me to my own blogging home page. I think I have found you. https://www.blogger.com/profile/11708091430385696889

Just read the Spine 2013 blog, didn't realise it was you who got the CNF. I read about your group last year on the Spine FB page. Good luck with this years race. Hope you make it all the way to the finish. There are 2 people from my running club (Sunderland Strollers) attempting it this year and there will be few more supporting them. I will keep an eye on the trackers. Stay Safe and enjoy.

#406172 - 07/01/14 12:02 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

Thanks, My preparation leaves much to be desired with ongoing injuries this year and a recent virus. All I can do is start and see how it goes. I am no. 50 by the way, although may be different on the tracker.
Dave.

#406173 - 07/01/14 02:50 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

Just had a quick look on the spine tracking and I think Tracker 50 is assigned to David Lee which I am guessing is you. My friends are no. 6 and 48.

http://spine.opentracking.co.uk/race/

I had a quick read at the Dales Way Blog which sounds interesting too. I was going to do Hadrians Wall again but I think Dales Way will be a good alternative.

#406280 - 21/03/14 11:29 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

I am doing LAMM now so second may bank holiday is looking iffy :-( . I really want to get it done and over with.

Anyway, I am doing Dales Way tomorrow. Looking to start at 10 am from Ilkley and hoping to finish by Sunday morning at Windermere. Night section will be from Cow Dub onwards. Hope I make it to the Pub at Cow Dub/Dent for last meal.

Any suggestions on pub food stops and night section? I have planned Grassington, Hubberhome, CowDub/Dent and Staveley as food stops.

Thanks

#406281 - 23/03/14 06:11 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

Well, I guess you will be on your way home or indeed at home by now. I hope things went well for you. Sorry I couldn't respond earlier we've been down at our sons in West Sussex since Friday.
Dave.

#406282 - 23/03/14 07:13 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

Thanks Dave. Yes got it done in 22 hours. Only stopped at the Sportsman Inn Pub. Everyone was very friendly there and fed me well.

Hope you had a good weekend too.

#406283 - 23/03/14 09:28 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

Cheers, Ive only ever walked the Dales Way, several times though, my fastest is 29hrs 15mins. You have now started me thinking of having a go at it Ultra style!
Dave.

#407126 - 13/07/16 04:26 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
DodgeyKnee Offline

Loc: London
Just found this. Quite interesting.

Does anyone know if Adnan managed to do the PW?

I realised it's 30 years since I PW'd and was thinking of a celebratory jaunt.

Mike

#407341 - 03/04/18 10:44 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

Hello Mike and others,

Hope everyone is keeping well. I couldn't remember the password and this site wouldn't let me reset the passwords. But its all back working now.

Its been nine years since I first posted on here and reading back reminds me how naive I was. Thank you everyone for being so helpful.

Yes, I managed to put the Pennine Way to bed finally in April 2016. I organised it as a 9 days running holiday with couple of friends and their family members joining us for some of the sections. We stayed mainly at the Youth Hostels along the way and Forest View Inn on the final day.

Link of the whole route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/542030741

Complied few photos here
https://youtu.be/XrOkja3h3-E

#407342 - 03/04/18 10:50 AM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Adnan Offline

We loved our running holiday in 2016 so much that we decided to do something similar. So on this long Easter Weekend we did the Coast to Coast. Same theme with the youth hostels and averaging 33 miles a day for 5 days and then last 6 miles on Monday to finish it off.

Link of the route.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1485999050

PS. My spelling and navigation has improved a lot over the last few years :-)

#407345 - 09/04/18 11:25 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Good on you Adnan. (also good to see your spelling has improved) wink
Nice PW photo presentation. Great choice of soundtrack!

#407346 - 13/04/18 04:13 PM Re: Want to do PW, haf no map skills, Can i Join u pls [Re: Adnan]
Slogger Offline

Well done Adnan, interesting route on the C2C some similar lines to what I used last time I completed, but you went on some of the high ground too. Well supported and travelling light I see. Looking at Strave it really is amazing how little of the time spent in total on the route is actual moving time, if only we could do without stops and sleep.
Dave.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917