The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#45735 - 17/03/09 08:09 AM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Originally Posted By: Oldun
Originally Posted By: Tortoise
Hi Oldun,

Starting off round the NW corner of Ennerdale Water, up Great Borne (via Rake Beck), along the ridge via Starling Dodd to Red Pike, then on over High Stile and High Crag before dropping down to Scarth Gap.

Thanks for the info. Look interesting, but I can imagine that the walk should not be done in poor weather. As point of interest, what is the "Co.Const & C.P. Bdy" line marked on the map after Great Borne? Is this just an invisible boundery line? How is the track...is it well trodden or is it an idea that requires careful navigation?

"County Constituency and Civil Parish Boundary" or something similar so little use as a footpath !

some of these boundaries have the remains of a boundary fence on them ie; on top of high Stile

#45736 - 17/03/09 09:25 AM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: Stottie]
Tortoise Offline

Loc: South Bucks
I think Pete's pretty much covered it! A good walk on a clear day.

#45744 - 17/03/09 05:08 PM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: Tortoise]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
We stayed at Black Sail in 2005 - no single sex rooms then. Suggest you ask when you book. We also did BS to Grasmere in a day - took about 7 hours. Watch navigation after Loft Beck if misty and after Lining Crag.

#45770 - 19/03/09 01:24 AM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: void_star]
Chris Wright Offline

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland, Cana...
Keith,
I think Black Sail to Grasmere is doable. It should take you about 8 hours, give or take one. You probably know you have a testing climb almost immediately you turn left after Black Sail Hut. After that it is a steep decent to the Youth Hostel and slate shop. Following that a lovely pastoral walk into Rossthwaite and Stonethwaite. Have lunch in one of these communities and begin the trek along the gill up to Linings Crag. Pause at the top to take in a great view from where you have come. After the quiet repost, soldier on to Grasmere. It is a good hike and challenging up one huge hill. The stage briefly described is one of my favourites on the C2C. Very best wishes!
Mark (Nimrod) - I am currently in Adelaide. We take the Ghan train to Alice Springs and Ayers Rock in a couple of days. Then on to Cairns for a week and back to London vis a week at my neice's place in Dubai. Regina goes back to Newfoundland on April 18 and I will spend another six weeks with my ailing mother in Retford. I'll phone you re our trek to Cook's Monument and Roseberry's Topping. Visited Cook's original cottage in Melbourne last week. The Aussie's brought it over in the 1930s. Hard to believe but there it was and I enjoyed going through it and the English garden surrounds. We've had a once in a lifetime retirement trip. Yes, the Black Watch was actually a cruise ship and we sailed in frosty climes on Jan 6 from Southampton. Via the Atlantic, the Panama Canal, calling in on some interesting South Pacific Islands to Brisbane and Sydney. My favourite spots were Tonga, the Cooks, and Santa Marta, Columbia. We have spent three weeks in New Zealand and was very impressed with the people and the land. Looking forward to my first Spring in England for 39 years. I am anxious to see bluebells again. Off back to Newfoundland on June 1 but very much hope to walk with you on the North Yorkshire Moors. Cheers from Downunder. Chris.

#45773 - 19/03/09 09:09 AM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: Chris Wright]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
remember to lookout and cross the bridge past Stonethwaite or you maybe have to wade across the beck at Smithy pool
was in a party and that busy calinng we got to the pool some of the party went back to the bridge two managed to wade across after taking off boots and socks

#46179 - 08/04/09 01:03 AM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: tim smith]
void_star Offline

Thanks again all for the input - we wound up deciding to have an easy day 3 by staying at the Gillercombe B&B... who wants to rush the lakes district anyway!

If the weather is good that day we may try to pickup the high route again by going back up to Scarth Gap. Are there any better ways to do Black Sail to Longthwaite given that we will have plenty of time that day?

#46191 - 08/04/09 07:46 PM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: void_star]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Shortly after leaving Gillerthwaite, you come to a gate and a stile giving access to the broad break in the forest. You can head upwards roughly in the centre of this clearing and head for a shallowdepresion/gully running directly down the Fell in front (Looking up slightly to the right) a faint path heads that way. Basically that gives you the general direction and just keep climbing up the wards. This is actually the Ennerdale side of Red Pike. If you go too far right you will miss Red Pikes summit cairn, but it doesnt matter as you will come across the ridge before it drops away into the Buttermere valley. You simply then turn right and follow the ridge line which eventually after several undulations brings you to Haystacks and further on to Honister.
Dave.

#46203 - 09/04/09 09:19 AM Re: Black Sail to Grasmere- Looking for staging advice [Re: Slogger]
Tortoise Offline

Loc: South Bucks
"Undulations"!!! Not quite the word I'd use - the drop down from High Crag is one of the steepest around!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917