The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46322 - 17/04/09 07:35 AM Richmond E2W
Arial Offline

Confession: I have managed to miss the trail through the woods on the way to Richmond both times I have walked the C2C.

This year will be the first time I walk with a friend, and I don't wish to feel absolutely foolish by missing the trail again. It has something to do with a missing waypoint (I picked my waypoints up from Guy Wilson's page). I know one option is to leave the gps at home, but I like having it with me.

I need some help figuring out where I go wrong and how to solve the problem. As I walk E2W, I do manage to make it to the Hagg Farm ruin. I am looking at Hannon and see that there should be a stile as I enter the woods. What kind of stile? Is the path clear at this point? Should I be able to see the Swale as I enter the woods? According to Hannon's map, there is a footbridge over a small stream (Is "creek" American?) after which there is a divided path. Is there a better choice - left or right? Is there another stream before I leave the wooded area? Is there a style at the end of the wooded area? Should I be able to see the Swale while I am in the wooded area? What sort of stile marks the end of the wooded area (mile 119 Hannon)? As I walk out of the woods, am I above the sewage works? Should I be able to see the sewage works? What marks Sand Beck? Is there a clear path to the road at that point?

Any tips, suggestions, or photos you could offer would be fabulous.

Thanks.

#46325 - 17/04/09 10:24 AM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: Arial]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Arial,
you should turn right past the Hag Farm ruin and make straight for the wood the stile should be in front of you, the track through the wood wanders about a bit, the seweage works should be on your right, when you come to the the divided path we took the right one it leads into Richmond
you may get some better advice as it was long time ago when we walked the route

#46326 - 17/04/09 12:30 PM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: tim smith]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
This is interesting. Last time I took to the road (due to conditions)from Kiplin Hall through Brompton-on-Swale. From Colburn it isn't too obvious from the air on Google/SatMap either. Ern, E-W the path looks as though it passes HaggFm round to the left on the footprint map...
This may help:
http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/
click on PINK button 'I want to Get-a-map now'
type this grid ref. in search box:
SE189992

This link might go straight to aerial photo on 'multimap' (fingers crossed!)

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?lat=53.28187&lon=-1.17748&zoomFactor=13#map=54.38996,-1.7147|17|32&bd=useful_information&loc=GB:54.40518:-1.73663:14|Richmond|Richmond,%20North%20Yorkshire,%20England,%20DL10%204

No it doesn't. But copy and paste into browser will bring up Richmond, and you can then scroll the rectangle in the little box down right to Red House Farm with the Hagg Fm ruin visible on the other side of the Swale. A bonus with MultiMap is that you can now switch between aerial and O/s map (and zoom in on the 1:25,000 scale as well!)
Arial, this should be quite useful if you can get the hang of it!
If you're on Facebook, I'm mapping the route out on a similar tool, though finding it a bit slow...
cheers
lwm

#46333 - 18/04/09 10:41 AM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: lightweightmick]
tim smith Offline

LWM,
as you approach Hag farm, the path does pass on the left of the farm then right to the wood, as i said there may be better advice from some one who has walked the route recently

#46334 - 18/04/09 12:10 PM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: tim smith]

My sincere apologies Ern... yes, your instructions make perfect sense now - I should have gone to Specsavers!
I'm not one to give advice here really as I haven't covered this section on the ground, though I have traced the route via the above mentioned. Otherwise the only reference I have is the footprint map. I could do with reccying this section myself!
Maybe both suggestions will help Arial and friend get to Richmond.
cheers Ern,
lwm

#46337 - 18/04/09 08:16 PM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: lightweightmick]
tim smith Offline

L.W.M
no problem, as i said " it is a long time since i have done the walk " and things do change.woods can be felled and farmers can knock hedges out.
another thing though is, when there are 2 of you and you are walking and talking, it is easy to miss a landmark.
last year or the year before, i went on a path i had not used for 60 years. For years a different route had been used and when the farmer wanted the old route reinstated, his neighbouring farmer objected (as part of the previous route was accross some of his land) and it was diverted on to dike bank, very bad walking.

#46338 - 18/04/09 10:15 PM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: tim smith]

Yes, often the actual line of the right of way is very different on the ground. That's why I think the aerial views are so useful now. But that's only useful if there is some evidence of usage on the ground to show up on aerial photogaphy! And then of course under tree cover its quite useless! On 1:25.000 O/S green dashes alone often incidicate little use... as I discovered using the Lovesome Hills route last time (though I did emerge at the road where expected...)
cheers
lwm
psst... we're hijacking Arial's thread here, as I remember she can be well fiesty!

#46345 - 19/04/09 10:51 AM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: lightweightmick]
tim smith Offline

LWM
yes, i was thinking the same last night, better revert back to general chat.

#46358 - 20/04/09 05:16 AM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: tim smith]
Arial Offline

Please refrain from departing my thread. I am in the midst of a stack of 40 reasonably terribly first year essays. Your banter keeps me entertained.

Thanks for the link, LWM. Perhaps it will help. I am red-faced at having missed the turn twice. I think I get turned around when I hit the wood. Augh!

#46359 - 20/04/09 05:20 AM Re: Richmond E2W [Re: Arial]
Arial Offline

LWM,

The OS map seems to be a bit clearer than Hannon. Are there still stiles on both ends of the wood?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917