The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2888
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35975 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#46368 - 20/04/09 05:48 PM Walking the ODP
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Hi there - just got back yesterday from walking the ODP. Really great - no idea why more people don't walk it - I would rate it as my second favourite so far (after the PW). Deeply indebted to Janice's suggestions re. baggage transfer - which worked a treat. Weather was generally great apart from a couple of rough days - only to be expected in Wales I guess. The best thing was I had gorgeous sunshine on both the Black Mountains and the Clwydian Range. Can't ask for more than that.

If anyone is thinking about doing the ODP and booking B&Bs - particular favourites of mine were the Lancaster Arms at Pandy, the Fleece House in Knighton and the Bradford Arms at Llanymynech. Others were also good - but those ones stuck out for me.

I'd have to reluctantly say that I agree with Mr Lizard about Prestatyn. It looked lovely from the cliffs above in gorgeous sunshine, but when you get down there, it really didn't amount to much as the place I'd spent the last ten days and 170 miles trying to get to.

Back at work today - wondering what life is all about - and with back and knees aching.

#46370 - 20/04/09 05:53 PM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Bliss 60]
Bliss 60 Offline

One further point - for anyone who has trouble navigating LDPs - the ODP is the one for you. Just about everything going has a waymark on it. You barely need to look at a map. It would be next to impossible to loose your way on the ODP.

#46385 - 21/04/09 05:09 PM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Bliss 60]
bogstomper Offline

Well done Bliss 60, the ODP is my favourite LDP, even better than the C2C. I completed the walk in October 2007 and the highlights for me was the stunning 360 degree panorama from Moel Famau, seeing the Black mountains for the first time as you approach Pandy, visiting the Skirrid Inn (The most haunted pub in Britain) and how friendly people were along the route!
I'll be doing the Pennine Way this Year, so I'll see how they all compare.
People say they're put off by the ODP due to all the stiles, but I found that there was normally a gate by the side of most of them that you could go through, so no problem!
Also the B & B's were cheaper than the C2C.

#46404 - 22/04/09 01:33 PM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: bogstomper]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
Well done Bliss...glad you were able to sort the baggage transfers out ok.

#46406 - 22/04/09 07:13 PM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Well done! Sounds like the waymarking has improved since I did it around 8 years ago.
Dave.

#46407 - 22/04/09 07:30 PM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Bliss 60]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
One further point - for anyone who has trouble navigating LDPs - the ODP is the one for you. Just about everything going has a waymark on it. You barely need to look at a map. It would be next to impossible to loose your way on the ODP.

I can navigate well and intend walking about of Offa's Dyke as part of my Land's End to John O'Groats walk next year. Whilst waymarking now appears to be good what else do you recommend taking to stay on track? I intend to take extracts from my OS maps but what problems would that cause going through towns/villages? I want to keep weight down to a minimum so I don't want to take unnecessary items. Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#46414 - 23/04/09 04:49 AM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Harland]
Bliss 60 Offline

I'd suggest doing what you say - taking extracts from OS Maps. I had a full set of OS Maps - but then I was having my luggage transported for me - and I was rarely looking at them other than out of interest. I also walked with a guy on the Hay to Kington stretch for most of the day who was doing Lands End to John o Groats and he was doing the posting maps to post offices approach.

Very few places of navigational note, but these might be some:

. not sure if you'd join the ODP for the little bit between Sedbury and Chepstow - apart from the ODP's very start, its mostly walking through housing estate - well signposted I remember - but you'd want to have a good map of that bit up to where the ODP leaves Chepstow

. at Redbrook (2 miles short of Monmouth) - some people opt to take the Wye Valley route to Monmouth because one more up and over on the ODP might seem like overkill

. Monmouth I think is the only real town of note where you have the potential to go wrong. My recollection is that the signs are all there - but then there are about a couple of miles through the town - where there could be potential to go wrong. As it happens, I don't think it was that difficult. Head for Agincourt Square - which locals will all know - and then head down the main obvious shopping street to the Munrow Bridge (which again the locals will all know) - turn right after the bridge - and keep going till you get to Watery Lane on your left - follow that till it bends round and heads off into countryside.

. Pandy - the path comes in - crosses the road - the path goes out! (by the Lancaster Arms Guest House)

. Hay - very simple - head past the big clock tower (locals will know it) - turn left down a road signposted to Clyro - head over the main bridge over the Wye north of the town - turn right - again pretty much all signposted

. Kington - it very obvious coming into Kington - and then there's a big signpost pointing up through a central square - and then directing you up a hill to a golf course

. Knighton - I think you may be turning off here anyway - but if not - its a case of following the main street past the library to the Offas Dyke Centre and following the signs

As I say - I'd advise taking your copies so that you have the basic gist - but you'll hardly need them. I had the full set of OS maps - but you pretty quickly get used to not looking at them because it would seem like at every possible turning there would be a clear indication of which way to go.

#46416 - 23/04/09 05:57 AM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Bliss 60

I'd have to reluctantly say that I agree with Mr Lizard about Prestatyn. It looked lovely from the cliffs above in gorgeous sunshine, but when you get down there, it really didn't amount to much as the place I'd spent the last ten days and 170 miles trying to get to.

Having seen how Cardiff Bay has been transformed ( for better or worse is a matter of opinion ) perhaps the Welsh Assembly should turn its attention to Prestatyn, bulldozing the whole town though learning from the mistakes of Milton Keynes and Telford in planning the replacement buildings.

#46417 - 23/04/09 08:05 AM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Bliss 60]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Bliss60

Thanks very much, that is very useful and I'll write your comments on my map extracts. I also intend to use the Post Office's "Poste restante" system so I can post some things backwards and forwards. When I walked the Pennine Way walk in 2005 I took 8 OS maps which weighed over a kilo. That was my first long distance walk and I have learned to reduce weight since then, even if it only taking off the covers!

It was good to hear about your views on the ODP and the recommended accommodations, I have put these on my accommodation list. In view of the length of the walk I don't intend to book accommodation ahead but will be taking a tent so that I am free to stop whenever and wherever I want. However as I will be walking for about 10 weeks even taking lists of possible accommodation or campsites all adds to the weight.

Again thanks for taking time to respond to my post.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

#47155 - 23/05/09 06:43 PM Re: Walking the ODP [Re: Harland]
skirridfawr Offline

Loc: ABERGAVENNY WALES
Harland,

I recall sometime ago you were sounding the possibility of someone to walk all or part of LEJOG with you. I have completed ODP 5 times and will be completing it for the 6th time next month. I am an OAP and have just complted a 300 mile walk from my home town to our twin town in France for the 20th anniversary. As you may have guessed I very interested in joining from start to finish Let me have your thoughts on the matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917