The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47650 - 14/06/09 11:00 AM Re: C2C starting June [Re: HairyHikers]
forkhandles Offline

HairyHikers,we'll probably be seeing you in the watering holes along the way.Look out for 3 'yorkshiremen' who look lost!

#47686 - 15/06/09 01:12 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: forkhandles]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Phew, got back late last night.

Arrived in Robin Hood's Bay a little before midday on Saturday - what a good feeling that was.

Very enjoyable, yes there was difficult (trying) moments but mostly it was happy walking. Good times.

Will type up my day log over the coming the few weeks and will post it up on the internet - maybe the walkingplaces website, else blogger or somewhere.

I'll answer specific questions if anyone has any for the time being

#47687 - 15/06/09 01:14 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: *tim*]
ruth020989 Offline

congratulations big man.

would you have found an umbrella useful tim?

#47690 - 15/06/09 01:31 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: ruth020989]
*tim* Offline

No Ruth, but then I'm not a girl wink

I actually had very good weather, rain on maybe 2 / 3 days. However, when it was raining it was also very windy so walking with a umbrella would not been practical. If you have the space (and baggage company to carry it) it could be useful for trips to the pubs in the evenings, but personally I'd just put on the waterproof jacket and pop the hood up.

Having said that, if you read hiking light website, especially those from the States, they quite often use umbrellas.

#47692 - 15/06/09 01:54 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: *tim*]
forkhandles Offline

Hi tim,
3 of us starting 22nd june (1st timers) and hoping to camp all the way and have one night of 'wild camping' somewhere in the lakes.Could you tell us where you stayed and the cost of the campsites please? It would be a big help for us.

#47713 - 15/06/09 05:39 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: forkhandles]
*tim* Offline

Please see my list of campsite below. Prices were what I paid for a lone backpacker.

St. Bees Seacote Park - 10
Ennerdale water camped along bank free
Rostewaite - Gillercombe Farm C&C site - 6
Grasmere / Patterdale wild camped between places free
Shap Bulls Head Inn (back garden) - 5
Kirkby Stephen Pennine View - 6.50
Keld Lodge Farm campsite - 4
Reeth Orchard camping site - 5
Carrick Bridge some farm unsure of name - 3
Osmotherly Cote Ghyll - 7.50
Blakey The Lion Inn - 2.50
Hawsker York House 12.50
Robin Hoods Bay Middlewood Farm - 7

Favourite two
1 - Keld. Beautiful location if you can get along the river bank
2 - The Lion Inn. Camp in a field with sheep and bunnies next to the pub. Lovely.

Worst two
1 - York House. Expensive. Horrible 'Holiday' camp type place
2 - Seacote Park. See above.

YMMV

If I was doing it again I would stop short on the last day either at the Rigg Farm (about 1 mile prior to York House), or stop in Littlebeck, maybe 6 miles short.

Wild camping, I would suggest somewhere like Grisdale Tarn or even Red Tarn. Thinking about it I'm not sure if there is a campsite in Ennerdale, so you might want to wild camp there. The site in Patterdale is supposedly very good

#47727 - 15/06/09 06:56 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: *tim*]
The Lost Walker Offline

Loc: Grimsby
Originally Posted By: *tim*
Please see my list of campsite below. Prices were what I paid for a lone backpacker.

Hawsker York House 12.50

Favourite two
2 - The Lion Inn. Camp in a field with sheep and bunnies next to the pub. Lovely.

Worst two

YMMV

If I was doing it again I would stop short on the last day either at the Rigg Farm (about 1 mile prior to York House), or stop in Littlebeck, maybe 6 miles short.

Wild camping, I would suggest somewhere like Grisdale Tarn or even Red Tarn. Thinking about it I'm not sure if there is a campsite in Ennerdale, so you might want to wild camp there. The site in Patterdale is supposedly very good

Tim....congratulations.

Two of us doing pretty much the same route in September, did you have to book the campsites or did you just turn up.

Do you have contact numbers for the places you stayed at?

Thanks

TLW

#47750 - 16/06/09 07:06 AM Re: C2C starting June [Re: The Lost Walker]
ruth020989 Offline

congratulations

#47766 - 16/06/09 05:38 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: ruth020989]
*tim* Offline

TLW I didn't book any of the places. In fact I made most of camping destination decisions the day before, obviously places with limited campsites was an easy choice. No contact numbers either, I just walked to the campsite location as shown on OS maps.

Start of June is outside of peak season and I only met 3 other C2C campers along the route. The only site that was full was the one in Robin Hood Bay, however it was a Saturday night and probably the first really nice weekend of the year.

The pub in Shap only has space for 4 maybe 5 tents, but I doubt they take bookings. Carrick Bridge farm campsite has a very small camping area, but after all it is a farm so I'm sure they would find space for you if busy.

Ruth / Ian. Thanks!

#47774 - 16/06/09 08:34 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: *tim*]
forkhandles Offline

Originally Posted By: *tim*

Hawsker York House 12.50

Favourite two

Worst two

YMMV

thanks tim, some great info. our plans are pretty much the same apart from Patterdale-Side Farm and Littlebeck-Intake Farm.We're also hoping to get to Low Gillerthwaite on the first day with an early start so if anyones camped there recently,any info would be appreciated.
Once again cheers,it helps when planning the finances.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917