The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47779 - 17/06/09 12:04 AM Re: C2C starting June [Re: *tim*]
The Lost Walker Offline

Loc: Grimsby
Originally Posted By: *tim*
TLW I didn't book any of the places. In fact I made most of camping destination decisions the day before, obviously places with limited campsites was an easy choice. No contact numbers either, I just walked to the campsite location as shown on OS maps.

Start of June is outside of peak season and I only met 3 other C2C campers along the route. The only site that was full was the one in Robin Hood Bay, however it was a Saturday night and probably the first really nice weekend of the year.

The pub in Shap only has space for 4 maybe 5 tents, but I doubt they take bookings. Carrick Bridge farm campsite has a very small camping area, but after all it is a farm so I'm sure they would find space for you if busy.

Ruth / Ian. Thanks!

Thanks for the info, this has helped us a lot with our planning. Doing the walk in the last two weeks of Sept, so hopefully the campsites shouldn't be to busy.

TLW

#47785 - 17/06/09 08:39 AM Re: C2C starting June [Re: The Lost Walker]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Originally Posted By: forkhandles
thanks tim, some great info. our plans are pretty much the same apart from Patterdale-Side Farm and Littlebeck-Intake Farm.We're also hoping to get to Low Gillerthwaite on the first day with an early start so if anyones camped there recently,any info would be appreciated.
Once again cheers,it helps when planning the finances.

The Patterdale site is supposedly very nice. The one is Littlebeck is 7 a night I believe, I spoke to a chap who stayed there the same night I was in the prison [sorry holiday] camp at York House.

#47798 - 17/06/09 10:37 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: forkhandles]
onlyme Offline

Loc: lancashire uk
hi to be truthful car'nt to remember the wild camping as it was very short notice to are selfs see one get in it most where by rivers we stayed at seatoller theres a good one there toilets showers and if you get off early you don't pay or its 3 50ppin shap theres the bulls head which says its the only camp site in shap 5pp no showers and toilets locked at 12 drunks in the garden till late a bit further down the road near the start of the next walk is a farmers field toilets hot water 3 50pp pub across the road better memory gone blank from here with the pain good luck to every one setting off very enjoyable walk

#47799 - 17/06/09 10:59 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: onlyme]
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Is this farmers field opposite Greyhound at S end of Shap? - would well suit me if it is. I can understand the pain does permanent damage though! I think 5 at Black Bull a bit steep with only shed for toilet arrangements...

#47800 - 17/06/09 11:02 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: lightweightmick]
onlyme Offline

the toilets are in the pub thats why its closed at 12 Not sure of the name of the pub but its the last one in the village nearest the motorway turning only about a mile from the pub

#47801 - 17/06/09 11:03 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: onlyme]
onlyme Offline

a mile from the bulls head pub i mean

#47845 - 19/06/09 02:02 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: forkhandles]
HairyHikers Offline

haha well that sounds like a typical yorkshireman waiting for a derbyshirian to come to his aid haha, only kidding mate we might do depends on how long we take first week we have motorised support taking the bulk of weight second week we're on our tod and planning on wild camping as much as poss. and we're thinking at the moment of doing the rosthewaite to patterdale in one hit depending on how we feel at grasmere

if we don't see you have a good one mate and leave a trail of breadcrumbs for us to follow save me looking at the map

#47903 - 21/06/09 09:00 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: HairyHikers]
forkhandles Offline

starting 10am monday 22nd and cant wait! not been this excited since we used to go 'ont club trip 30yr ago'

#47989 - 28/06/09 09:29 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: *tim*]
Lozsing Offline

Loc: notts,uk
We did the ctoc in the summer of 2006 in july it was red hot we were B & B all the way across, Since then we have aquired a dog .Last year we did the WHW with the dog and we camped all the way. We have decided to do the c to c again , camping all the way starting Friday 10th July, there is something about it that once you done it you just want to do it again , I have had some great holidays but never enjoyed them as much as when i did the c to c. I can tell you i had a tear in my eye walking into robins hood bay . I dont think you can understand unless you have done it, we met some great people. Just one question tim we fancyed wild camping along ennerdale water but if i remember right isnt it very rough along the water with tree roots and such?? as advice welcome , thanks
ps got my pack down to 30 pounds plus water and dog biscuits , hehehehe

#47991 - 28/06/09 10:48 PM Re: C2C starting June [Re: Lozsing]
flatlands Offline

I agree with you, Lozsing. The Coast to Coast does get better all the time, I don't why. I've done the Coast to Coast 4 and a half times now crazy, the 2007 walk was finished at Kirkby Stephen, due to a bad knee frown. That's reason for my last one in May this year and I completed it, camped everynight, carried all the gear, had sore feet and bad blister's (Aldi Boots madand wonderous joy smile on seeing Robin Hood's Bay. Was it worth it, yes it was!

I can't explain the feeling, but I think it's the best walk (2009)I've done and would love to do the Coast to Coast again next year on a East to West Crossing whistle.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917