The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#44996 - 03/02/09 08:13 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: LE1]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Cows generally don't bother walkers apart from sometimes sitting doggedly across the path. Having said that, I had an incident on the C2C when a cow inexplicably became a bit agressive. I don't think I was doing anything in particular, but I just did what people on this site said - was confident - put my arms out to make myself look bigger, and walked on. They got the message.

Not sure if I've imagined it, but I have seen a thing where a herd of cows have one of their number detached from the group. I think this is to act as a sort of decoy - ie. fooling potential predators to think that they can go for the individual cow - and then if it happens, the whole herd comes charging down. Maybe I'm imagining it, but perhaps a good idea to steer clear of cows on their own.

As for bulls - not sure if there's that many around are there? The males are what your T Bone is made of in the pub for your evening meal. If there are bulls around, often farmers put up signs saying there is a bull in the field - and so if you're particularly nervous, you can wait for other walkers - which there will probably be on the Dales Way.

I did the Dales Way last year - I don't recall any significant encounters with any large or small beasties.

#45002 - 03/02/09 03:47 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
Cows generally don't bother walkers apart from sometimes sitting doggedly across the path. Having said that, I had an incident on the C2C when a cow inexplicably became a bit agressive. I don't think I was doing anything in particular, but I just did what people on this site said - was confident - put my arms out to make myself look bigger, and walked on. They got the message.

Not sure if I've imagined it, but I have seen a thing where a herd of cows have one of their number detached from the group. I think this is to act as a sort of decoy - ie. fooling potential predators to think that they can go for the individual cow - and then if it happens, the whole herd comes charging down. Maybe I'm imagining it, but perhaps a good idea to steer clear of cows on their own.

As for bulls - not sure if there's that many around are there? The males are what your T Bone is made of in the pub for your evening meal. If there are bulls around, often farmers put up signs saying there is a bull in the field - and so if you're particularly nervous, you can wait for other walkers - which there will probably be on the Dales Way.

I did the Dales Way last year - I don't recall any significant encounters with any large or small beasties.

Moles can be dangerous, or to be more precise mole hills can be a trip hazards, as was the case with causing the death of a former King of England, although this might not have happened had he not been riding a horse.

#45031 - 04/02/09 07:36 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
We did the Dales Way last "summer" - it rained every day! Just outside Dent we were chased by the bullocks. Painful! My wife called them heffers - or something like that. Seriously, try and give cows a wide berth with a plan B - through another field, climb over a wall etc.

Let's be realistic, problems with cows do not happen very often - many on this forum will have walked many years with no cow problems - and when they do it is easy to out manoeuvre them most of the time. Just very, very occasionally does it go seriously wrong. Plan ahead and take care.

#45035 - 04/02/09 11:59 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Kate's Dad]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
If the cattle are running and it bothers you, try singing loudly to them. It seems to fascinate cattle and sheep alike.
I discovered this as it was getting dark and I was walking alongside a wall with cattle at the other side. They were trotting across to peer at me when two Tornado jets roared overhead at low level. The cattle started running, so I broke into a (extraordinary?) rendition of the song "Rawhide". The cattle stopped and turned to look at me, so I carried on singing to the very end. The savage beasts were tamed.
Humans would, of course, have carried on running when I sang, their general direction being "away".
Note: I have yet to try this method when faced by an onrushing herd on my side of the wall, but if all else fails I'll stand tall, wave my arms, and do my Frankie Laine (not Lois Laine) impersonation.

#45164 - 11/02/09 10:35 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Stottie]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Hi
Itinary looking at bit like this at the moment:

Arrive Ilkley - Archway Cottage?
Ilkley to Burnsall (13 miles)- decide between Holly Tree Farm and Wharfe View Farm?
Burnsall to Buckden (14 miles) - West Wind Tearooms
Buckden to Cowgill (19 miles) - Sportsman's Inn
Cowgill to Sedbergh (10 miles) - Dalesman Country Inn
Sedbergh to Grayrigg (10 miles) - Morsedale Barn?
Grayrigg to Staveley (9 miles) - lunch at Eagle & Child (yum) then afternoon train home.

I have already walked the Stavely to Bowness section a couple of years ago, so thought I would leave this bit out (at the moment anyway)

#45172 - 11/02/09 01:40 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
it looks a nice steady schedule

#45175 - 11/02/09 03:57 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: tim smith]
Calluna Offline

Tim

I may combine the last 2 stages into a 19 mile day, and stay at the Eagle & Child for the last night. Will have a think about it.

#47637 - 12/06/09 06:55 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
NanaT Offline

Hi Calluna

My daughter agreed to do the Dales Way with me and we are now booked up to arrive in Ilkley on 4th September and start the walk on the 5th. We may bump into you along the way as I've planned an 8-day walk for us as we haven't tried a multi-day walk before and the daughter (althoug young, fit and healthy) hasn't done much walking yet!

Quite excited now we are booked. laugh Hope your plans are going well.

Regards
NanaT

#47672 - 15/06/09 11:41 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: NanaT]
Calluna Offline

Brilliant, nice to see you got your daughter to go with you. Unfortunately I have a none-walking family, so no companion for me! Which also means I have to carry all my stuff with me as Sherpa only take a minimum of 2 baggages for this walk, darn.

What is your itinery? we may be able to meet up along the way (maybe have a pint and meal)

Good luck

#47689 - 15/06/09 01:28 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
NanaT Offline

Well - if all goes to plan our overnight stops will be as follows:

4th - Ilkley
5th - Burnsall
6th - Kettlewell
7th - Oughtershaw
8th - Dent
9th - Sedbergh
10th - Grayrigg
11th - Staveley
12th - Windermere

So, if our paths will meet anywhere, just let me know and we'll keep an eye out for you. smile

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917