The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47995 - 29/06/09 03:28 AM Hadrian's wall vs C2C
RaeEllen Offline

I did the C2C in 2007 and still consider it one of the best vacations/most amazing hiking I have ever done.

This summer, I planned a trip back to England. Because of husband and baby (to be carried in pack), I decided to book with a service (not Sherpa) for what I thought might be C2C light. 4 days in Lake District (not on the C2C trail, but close by) and 4 days in Dales.

Anyhow, long story short, the company completely screwed up and with very little time to fix their mistake and no chance of refund to start over, they have offered us 4 days hiking Hadrian's Wall (center section) and 4 days in the Dale's.

The Lakes were so utterly spectacular to hike, I can't help but be nervous. On the other hand, it looks like this hike will be less difficult and perhaps with babypack, that will be a good thing.

Anyone with experience hiking both that can help me know what to expect.

#48004 - 29/06/09 12:20 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: RaeEllen]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Hadrian's Wall central section has a fair few ups and downs, but from reading your track record I'd say it will be easy for you.

It doesn't match up to the Dales or the Lakes for scenery (there are wide open vistas but no serious hills) but the Roman archaeology is good if that's your idea of fun, and you can make diversions to the museums and dig sites as you go. There's also a good bus service that runs between all the interesting bits, so if you or the baby need a day, or a few hours, away from the trail, that's possible too.
I met a lot of other walkers and casual visitors when I passed that way a few weeks ago: I guess your baby will attract quite a few coos and aaahs from the grannies and granddads on the Wall.
Go for it!

#48019 - 29/06/09 06:37 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: Stottie]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Compared to the Lakes and the Dales, I'm afraid you may find it somewhat boring.
Dave

#48025 - 29/06/09 10:00 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: Slogger]
RaeEllen Offline

I hope that's not the case frown

I should have just booked myself, but I had really, really good luck with Sherpa Walking Tours. (As I said, we did not book this trip with them!) I got our tour pack this week, and they had booked our Lake District Walk in the same hotel in Ravenglass each night with taxi transfers out to the walk. Totally, totally uncool. THey said they were unable to book single nights in any accomodations on any of their lake district walks.

I didn't insist on money back, as I'm afraid I'll be in even worse shape. But I was tempted to just self book the first few stages (with low mileage) of the C2C myself. However, even if I could get bookings, I'm not sure it would be the safest walk with a baby pack.

#48026 - 29/06/09 10:03 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: RaeEllen]
RaeEllen Offline

Btw, even wide open vistas would be cool. A few hills, a remote location, it won't be a letdown, especially with the Dales to look forward to. However, my husband is going to kill me if we end up on tarmac most of the way trudging to ugly, but interesting, history.

#48039 - 30/06/09 11:29 AM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: RaeEllen]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: RaeEllen
Btw, even wide open vistas would be cool. A few hills, a remote location, it won't be a letdown, especially with the Dales to look forward to. However, my husband is going to kill me if we end up on tarmac most of the way trudging to ugly, but interesting, history.

No, no. Not tarmac. No need for that. Think positive, despite our somewhat downbeat responses and our unfavourable comparisons of HW to Lakes/Dales. Get an Ordnance Survey map and go off the HW trail, and anyway the baby might take you to places you hadn't planned on visiting. Let serendipity rule OK.

#48057 - 02/07/09 01:07 AM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: Stottie]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
I only did two days on the wall but I was quite enchanted by it. The boring parts seem to be the far eastern and western sections, so the central part is fine. The experience is totally unlike the C2C, but its nice to have variety.

If you read the book by Hunter Davies, you will have the background to enjoy it more.

Trekking with a baby can be a lot of fun if you don't try to hurry. See my writeup with baby on the WHW. It can be accessed by looking at the WHW forum on this website.

#48162 - 07/07/09 02:53 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: Gregg]
RaeEllen Offline

Thanks for your encouraging words! I'm really quite a go with the flow hiker, but the responsibility of planning for both baby and husband's first long distance hike is making me second guess! That, and I should have just self booked with the Sherpa Service. My "other" company has been a nightmare so far!

I also enjoyed your trip report very much. FYI, it looks like the baby is in an Ergo carrier. We love ours, and the little one is very happy in it. (We will be taking it as a back-up) However, now that she is old enough for a frame carrier, she is happier for much longer and is much easier to take for distances. Just something to look forward to!

btw, We did a bike trip in your neck of the woods 2 years ago. Just spectacular!

#50974 - 15/09/09 02:01 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: RaeEllen]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
The other thing to consider is that on the Hadrians Wall Path, you are never very far from a road and thus civilisation. So if baby gets troublesome you can leave the walk easily.

I enjoyed the middle section of the walk, but it can not compare as favourably with the C2C and Dales Way because of the variation. It is easy though and you shouldn't have to worry at all about route finding (which I think is always a plus).

#50975 - 15/09/09 02:18 PM Re: Hadrian's wall vs C2C [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Janice & Rottie
The other thing to consider is that on the Hadrians Wall Path, you are never very far from a road and thus civilisation. So if baby gets troublesome you can leave the walk easily.

I enjoyed the middle section of the walk, but it can not compare as favourably with the C2C and Dales Way because of the variation. It is easy though and you shouldn't have to worry at all about route finding (which I think is always a plus).

Surely route finding is not a problem now you have got your GPS! laugh
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: Land's End to John o'Groats in stages 2018.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917