The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#47790 - 17/06/09 03:57 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: rogere]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: rogere
Get a dark green tent, put it up at dusk, leave early the next day and leave no mess and you will be fine!

or fined !

#47791 - 17/06/09 05:08 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
welcome back L.L.

#47793 - 17/06/09 07:52 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: joe yak]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
LWM,
Yes I did the route at the end of August/1st week September. The sleeping bag is 2 season down filled. It compresses to around 6" x 5" and warm enough with clothes on. I wouldnt use it in the Autumn or Winter. When is the big day!?
Dave.

#48105 - 05/07/09 07:02 PM Re: Camping and the Pennine Way [Re: Slogger]
Night Owl Offline

Hello everyone,

I finally completed my Pennine Way walk after 15 days (though 3 of these were spent trying to recover from tendonitis, doctors orders!) I started at Kirk Yetholm and very glad I did, as this was perhaps the hardest part for me.

With regard to camping on the moors, I didn't find I had any choice on a few occasions so left it as late as I could to pitch up with an hour or so light and simply packed up at sunrise. There is one piece of advice I would give for the Byrness to Kirk Yetholm section take water and LOTS of it!I found I didnt have nearly enough and was incredibly glad to get to the stream near the roman fort the following day. I've never been so thirsty.

Camping on the moors was an incredible sight to wake up to, but never leave any trace of you being there, (it's always disheartening and unsightly to come across litter when surrounded by such beautiful scenery).

I would thouroughly recommend doing it at an easy pace and stopping off in Alston as its a lovely place full of friendly people.

Thanks to all who offered advice and the kind people who gave me water when I really needed it.

Night Owl.
p.s. I've managed to raise 860 so far for JTSMA so very pleased.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917