The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48798 - 19/07/09 04:06 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: flatlands]
m/ark Offline

Loc: Cirencester.
"lesson learned. The old saying is you get what you paid for, true enough"

Not realy true in to days pricy market, I brougtht a jack wolf skin jacket and the zip fell apart after a year. burghous is not much better or north face, it all depends on what you are doing, good boots are a must for any long term walk, but waterproofs for the C2C might as well be purchased from ALDI.

#48805 - 19/07/09 08:08 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
RedDevil Offline

Loc: Rochdale
end of the day... waterproof is waterproof!!

if your caught in sideways Rain on top of the moors, then fancy clothing logos will not impress, but staying dry will smile

#48808 - 19/07/09 09:27 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: RedDevil]
forkhandles Offline

Just returned from a golfing wkend in Whitby and the "snobbery" thing raised its ugly head once again! After giving the golf club lots of my hard-earned cash for the pleasure of walking aroung their course,i was refused the right to enter their clubhouse,to hand over more cash,because i wasn't wearing a TIE!
I think i've found the solution to combat my fear of "snobbery" once and for all!
Golfing the C2C.
I will Tee-off from St.Bees beach and then see how many shots it takes to reach RHB.I will be wearing a mixture of Plus fours,hiking boots,a diamond tank-top,golfing glove and will carry a rucksack and pull my trolley behind me.I will wear around my neck a map and a distance chart and will wash my balls in the rivers and streams!

#48809 - 19/07/09 10:12 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
This I must see

#48812 - 19/07/09 10:40 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Oldun]
m/ark Offline

I think you are wrong with this one, it is just a dress code,although I can immagine the type of people that play golf wearing their pringle jumpers and and silly hats, one thing does baffle me, they tend to drive large estate cars, such as BMWs and after a round of golf they hit the ninteenth hole in the bar, but how many of them ever get a taxi home after drinking three or more pints? Just look at all the cars out side the club house next time you visit the course.

I bet these people drive home and will never get pulled by the police as they tend to look law abiding in their pringle jumpers and silly sherlock hats inside there flashy BMWs. if you drive a ford you might be taking a gamble.

#48815 - 20/07/09 01:05 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: m/ark
"lesson learned. The old saying is you get what you paid for, true enough"

Not realy true in to days pricy market, I brougtht a jack wolf skin jacket and the zip fell apart after a year. burghous is not much better or north face, it all depends on what you are doing, good boots are a must for any long term walk, but waterproofs for the C2C might as well be purchased from ALDI.
I'm never going to buy anything from Aldi again, esq the walking boots. There gave me feet problems from Richmond to Robin Hood's Bay, really there should of been binned in Kirkby Stephen. I had bad blister's and sore feet from Borrowdale, infact the last of the hard skin has gone.

The North Face and Berghaus is all good stuff, I've boots, jackets, t-shirt's, tents and trainers from these two company and still the best. But I'm not a snob, just love the name. Come on, there are the best.

#48822 - 20/07/09 11:52 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: m/ark
I think you are wrong with this one, it is just a dress code,although I can immagine the type of people that play golf wearing their pringle jumpers and and silly hats, one thing does baffle me, they tend to drive large estate cars, such as BMWs and after a round of golf they hit the ninteenth hole in the bar, but how many of them ever get a taxi home after drinking three or more pints? Just look at all the cars out side the club house next time you visit the course.

I bet these people drive home and will never get pulled by the police as they tend to look law abiding in their pringle jumpers and silly sherlock hats inside there flashy BMWs. if you drive a ford you might be taking a gamble.

Driving home after a good session in the nineteenth hole isn't a problem for these people as they are mostly police officers, magistrates or freemasons - one law for them and one for the rest of us.

#48826 - 20/07/09 01:16 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
RedDevil Offline

Loc: Rochdale
they can drive home drunk... cos there good DRIVERS

geddit... golf...drivers smile doh!

ok sorry, ill get my coat frown

#48827 - 20/07/09 01:39 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Slogger]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
" The same is true with clothing, do you think the mountain rescue teams wear expensive clothing and equipment because they are snobs, no its because their gear is better than the cheaper gear.
quote]"

Why do you think I joined? Couldn't afford the gear any other way !!!!

#48840 - 20/07/09 06:57 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Janice & Rottie]
m/ark Offline

Does rottie get the kit as well?

Yes there is some truth with having expensive gear, but I think the question should be asked why is it so expensive in this country and just a normal price every where else in europe?

although I still think it is all over hyped, instead of buying an expencive fleece just use a layer system this is much more effective as you get better control over your body temp, also it does not matter what trousers you wear as long as they dry out quick, the point is you dont need all this kit just for a silly walk over the lakes, although if you was going to do a proper mountain like in french alps, then of couse you would need good kit and probably much better than the designer kit you see people wearing on the lakes.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917