The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48691 - 16/07/09 11:35 PM Walking/Hiking Snobbery!
forkhandles Offline

Myself and 2 friends(crazy postmen)recently completed the c2c and,apart from 1 issue,we had a wonderful time,met some great people and saw some beautiful places.That 1 issue is the snobbery that is shown to people,like ourselves,who dont wear all the expensive clothing/boots/poles/maps...etc
I stopped playing golf because of this very reason but was very surprised to witness it again whilst walking the c2c.
It was great to be in the company of the'hairy hikers' whom were very much of the same ideals and felt it important to contribute to the ecconamy of each village/town/public house we passed through.
We may have had a few late nights in a number of village pubs but we made a lot of good friends along the way.
So remember,if you're one of those people who look down your noses at us because we might be a bit loud or not dressed correctly or singing Abba songs out loud! Well heres a message for you-"people like us have got as much right to walk the c2c or any other path we choose,as you have so lose the snobbery!
Apart from that it was the best 2 wks i've had for a very long time.

#48692 - 17/07/09 12:15 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
RedDevil Offline

Loc: Rochdale
Sorry to hear the snobbery issue

unfortunatly this isnt an issue with walkers.... it seems to be everywhere, as you said golf too

seems you had a bad experience, ive never had this problem... dont let it put you off

PS
although the problem maybe the ABBA songs LOL

#48694 - 17/07/09 09:30 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: RedDevil]
Black Sailor Offline

This is sad, forkhandles, and also a bit surprising - I've always felt that one of the many good things about walking is that it's a great 'leveller'. How was this snobbery actually apparent?

#48695 - 17/07/09 10:19 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
Oldun Offline

Loc: Renens, Vaud, Switzerland
I noticed a change in the type of walker we met at weekends on the C2C, especially when it was a sunny day. On a wet Monday morning we were back to the hardened friendly "hairy" walkers. The only real time I noticed people looking down their noses at us was in Reeth, it being a very hot evening with plenty of day trippers about drinking beer at the open air tables. I felt that people objected to us even being present in the same vicinity as them. We were stared at and given a wide berth. Mind you I suppose that a couple of bearded wrinklies carrying large packs and smelling a bit high would cause a commotion anywhere.

#48699 - 17/07/09 01:02 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Originally Posted By: forkhandles
who dont wear all the expensive clothing/boots/poles/maps...etc

You wear maps and poles... I understand why you feel you didn't fit in wink

There are dicks in all walks [sorry] of life, why should walking the C2C be any different?

Forget about them, it sounds like you had a great time!!

#48700 - 17/07/09 01:23 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: *tim*]
boggleholed Offline

i have to say i'm very surprised ; never my experience ; ok you do get those who get dressed up for the ocassion and attach themselves to all the latest gizmos and gadgets ; but at the other extreme you'll also find those wearing their normal popping down to the pub wear.

maybe you just have one of those faces.

maybe you are one of those 'best steer clear of' types.

maybe you are paranoid.

it's seldom always just the other blokes fault ; especially if it keeps happening.

#48701 - 17/07/09 02:01 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
I've got used to it over the years. As Ronald Turnbull observes, expensive clothing doesn't get far...
You can judge how close you are to civilisation ie. car parks, watering holes, etc. by the labels. I've seen more Goretex jkts in Tesco than anywhere... with thousands of miles behind me I have yet to own a Goretex jkt! These people will look down on you as you are actually doing what the label intended...
Manufacturers have been quick to promote this and it sounds feasible that the extra sales help keep the price of gear down. I had a RAB eVent jkt for my last C2C - did I stay dry? Did I f*ck. I always wonder where all the fancy boots and jkts get to out there? You don't see so many where they are designed to be - in the middle of nowhere when it's banging it down...
cheers,
lwm

#48703 - 17/07/09 02:03 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
just one question Forkhandles.
was it folk on the c2c or visiting folk in the towns and villages.
as i have always found that when out walking the fells it is hail fellow , well met.
most walkers when they meet like to swap a few words of comfort or warning, which pubs to go or which to give a miss or just some experiences they have had.

#48704 - 17/07/09 02:05 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
ps. the RAB jkt got stolen... screwdrivered the lock and bent the door!

#48705 - 17/07/09 02:15 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
Black Sailor Offline

Originally Posted By: boggleholed
it's seldom always just the other blokes fault ; especially if it keeps happening.

Quite. And anyway, how can you tell that someone is 'looking down their nose' at you? Might this not be simply a justifiable reaction to having a peaceful country walk disturbed by three guys singing Abba songs? ;-)

#48706 - 17/07/09 03:59 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
June Offline

Loc: Birmingham, West Midlands
As others have said, how could you possibly tell what people were thinking about you? Give them a questionnaire? (with ratings for technical merit and artistic impression)? I've never come across real snobbery while walking - you might get some pub talk when people try to outdo each other in terms of how good their equipment is (like most bloke-talk) but it doesn't mean much. Wear whatever you like, so long as it doesn't frighten the sheep, and just enjoy your walking.

June.

#48707 - 17/07/09 03:59 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Myself and 2 friends(crazy postmen)recently .... singing Abba songs out loud! .

- maybe that was the problem, fourcandles

#48708 - 17/07/09 05:13 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
Mark Bradshaw Offline

Myself and 2 friends(crazy postmen)recently completed the c2c and,apart from 1 issue,we had a wonderful time,met some great people and saw some beautiful places.That 1 issue is the snobbery that is shown to people,like ourselves,who dont wear all the expensive clothing/boots/poles/maps...etc
I stopped playing golf because of this very reason but was very surprised to witness it again whilst walking the c2c.
It was great to be in the company of the'hairy hikers' whom were very much of the same ideals and felt it important to contribute to the ecconamy of each village/town/public house we passed through.
We may have had a few late nights in a number of village pubs but we made a lot of good friends along the way.
So remember,if you're one of those people who look down your noses at us because we might be a bit loud or not dressed correctly or singing Abba songs out loud! Well heres a message for you-"people like us have got as much right to walk the c2c or any other path we choose,as you have so lose the snobbery!
Apart from that it was the best 2 wks i've had for a very long time.

There are people who think buying all the expensive gear is going to substitute any effort on their part. Don't take it to heart,forkhandles - snobbery is an attitude of the ignorant. You finished the walk - did they? - and you enjoyed it - did they? - and you did it with your close friends,and that is all you want.
Nimrod

#48710 - 17/07/09 05:27 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
m/ark Offline

Loc: Cirencester.
[quote=

.That 1 issue is the snobbery that is shown to people,like ourselves,who dont wear all the expensive clothing/boots/poles/maps...etc

[/quote]

Hi fokhandles

I know what you mean, but have you ever thought these people might have felt threatened by you, a bit like when a big dog aproaches a little dog they feel scared because they have left their safe work inviroment where they might have some power and be in charge of somebody, but in the hills they are back in the real world. I experience this on my walk, you know the types that would not make eye contact, but dont let them get you down, they have probably had a sad life, Just because some people have a bit of money they seem to think they are above everybody who does not have right kit. Although I must add I do have the money and the kit, but my tatoos can be frighting. But then I am not a comformist. good post well said.

#48712 - 17/07/09 05:29 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
m/ark Offline

Also dont let googlehead wind you up.

#48713 - 17/07/09 05:44 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
m/ark Offline

By Jemima Lewis
Published: 12:01AM GMT 01 Feb 2004 telgrath newspaper

It's official: the classless society is finished. After decades in remission, the most infamous of British vices - snobbery - is making a comeback.

#48717 - 18/07/09 12:51 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Perhaps you didn't sing "take a chance on me"...?

#48721 - 18/07/09 09:55 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: canmal]
Black Sailor Offline

What puzzles me about this thread is that having read it a couple of times, I still can't figure out how you can spot a 'snob'. The only visible sign, it seems, is 'expensive clothing'.

This is beginning to worry me. My trusty old Berghaus waterproof has been soaked and re-proofed so many times it's now almost completely porous. So I'll need to get a new one soon. But will this make me a 'snob'?

#48723 - 18/07/09 10:42 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
m/ark Offline

Originally Posted By: Black Sailor
What puzzles me about this thread is that having read it a couple of times, I still can't figure out how you can spot a 'snob'. The only visible sign, it seems, is 'expensive clothing'.

A snob is somebody who thinks they are superior to every body else, guess that make me a snob, but I only feel this way about people that think they are better than myself.

#48724 - 18/07/09 10:49 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
m/ark Offline

There is a thing called the "forum snob" they like to try and ridicule people for their spelling. So I guess I have also been a vitim of the snob.

#48749 - 18/07/09 08:37 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
rjb1978 Offline

i don't go for much of this equipment b.ollox. i have a ten quid tent an a five pound sleeping bag from a major supermarket, is fine for a summer hike. You don't need to be an expert - i am an idiot and managed the whole thing with a guide book in my hand, literally, the entire way.

So long as you have bit of common then you should be right.

#48753 - 18/07/09 10:57 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Oldun Offline

By definition a snob is a person who strives to associate with those of higher status and who behaves condescendingly to others.

So therefore one wonders who are the people of higher status amongst the walkers and who are of lower status that the well dressed walkers are trying to ape, or look down on?

So by definition, those that feel they are being "snobbed" subconsciously feel they are of a lower status, and people that do not feel that they are being snobbed, or do not notice snobbery are of the higher status.

Am I making myself clear on this point, or do I have to explain it further?

#48754 - 19/07/09 12:12 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Oldun]
amibarkingmad? Offline

4candles,

Life's too short!

Walk, enjoy, feel sorry for the mindless minority with all the gear & no idea!

#48755 - 19/07/09 12:15 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: amibarkingmad?]
amibarkingmad? Offline

ps

if you haven't already, ignore the "trashy walkers" thread as it was clearly written by one of the "mm" mentioned above

#48761 - 19/07/09 01:44 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: amibarkingmad?]
m/ark Offline

We are often told that this originated as an abbreviation for the Latin phrase sine nobilitate 'without nobility', used to mark out those of a humble social background. None of our informants can agree on the circumstances in which this abbreviation was supposedly used: on lists of names of Oxford or Cambridge students; on lists of ships' passengers (to make sure that only the best people dined at the captain's table); as a marginal note in genealogies; on lists of guests to indicate that no title was required when they were announced. But the word snob (or in Scotland snab) is first recorded in the late 18th century as a term for a shoemaker or his apprentice. At about this time it was indeed adopted by Cambridge students, but they did not use it to refer to students who lacked a title or
Oldun

get your facts corect definition Oxford dictionary online/

"SNOB"

those who patronize or ignore anyone they perceive as inferior in social position, education, or taste.

So I guess Harland is a snob as he has decided to ignore me.

#48765 - 19/07/09 04:40 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: m/ark
We are often told that this originated as an abbreviation for the Latin phrase sine nobilitate 'without nobility', used to mark out those of a humble social background. None of our informants can agree on the circumstances in which this abbreviation was supposedly used: on lists of names of Oxford or Cambridge students; on lists of ships' passengers (to make sure that only the best people dined at the captain's table); as a marginal note in genealogies; on lists of guests to indicate that no title was required when they were announced. But the word snob (or in Scotland snab) is first recorded in the late 18th century as a term for a shoemaker or his apprentice. At about this time it was indeed adopted by Cambridge students, but they did not use it to refer to students who lacked a title or
Oldun

get your facts corect definition Oxford dictionary online/

"SNOB"

those who patronize or ignore anyone they perceive as inferior in social position, education, or taste.

So I guess Harland is a snob as he has decided to ignore me.

No, being a snob is only one of many reasons for ignoring someone. There may be other good reasons why someone is ignored, and not necessarily for continually making frivolous comments.

#48773 - 19/07/09 07:41 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Oldun]
Black Sailor Offline

Originally Posted By: Oldun
By definition a snob is a person who strives to associate with those of higher status and who behaves condescendingly to others.

So therefore one wonders who are the people of higher status amongst the walkers and who are of lower status that the well dressed walkers are trying to ape, or look down on?

So by definition, those that feel they are being "snobbed" subconsciously feel they are of a lower status, and people that do not feel that they are being snobbed, or do not notice snobbery are of the higher status.

Am I making myself clear on this point, or do I have to explain it further?

Crystal clear, Oldun, and hits the nail on tne head. In other words, it's all in the mind.....

#48780 - 19/07/09 09:55 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
m/ark Offline

[/quote]
No, being a snob is only one of many reasons for ignoring someone. There may be other good reasons why someone is ignored, and not necessarily for continually making frivolous comments. [/quote]

Dont realy get your point, although I detect some frivolous comment.

#48785 - 19/07/09 10:51 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Reading this thread, it seems that a suggestion that those who wear expensive walking clothing and equipment are all snobs. That suggestion is ludicrous. Snobbery is arrogent and is in the mindset not in the clothing worn or equipment carried.
During my 52 years of hill walking, fell running and mountaineering, starting out in the early years with any attire I could get my hands on and having to make do, I have learnt that you really do get what you pay for.
Sure you can get away with the cheaper of stuff but if you want durable, long lasting resiliant, gear thats going to serve you well you have to pay more to get something better.
For example a simple nylon rucsac on your back will hold all you need and may be bearable for a day or two. However a purpose made rucsac cushioned, shaped and accessorised will last for years and be capable of multi activity use. The same is true with clothing, do you think the mountain rescue teams wear expensive clothing and equipment because they are snobs, no its because their gear is better than the cheaper gear.
If you want gear that is going to get you through a walking day then why spend a lot on it, but if you want gear that going to serve you well and last, then you have to be prepared to pay the higher price. Thats common sense not snobbery.
Dave.

#48792 - 19/07/09 12:41 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Slogger]
flatlands Offline

Originally Posted By: Slogger
If you want gear that is going to get you through a walking day then why spend a lot on it, but if you want gear that going to serve you well and last, then you have to be prepared to pay the higher price. Thats common sense not snobbery.
Dave.
I agree, that I used to buy cheap gear, but I was a poor paid warehouse worker. However, things have improved in the wages, so I tend to get the better stuff. But I did make a error on my recent Coast to Coast Walk, I had some cheap Aldi walking boots, never again, a lesson learned. The old saying is you get what you paid for, true enough.

#48798 - 19/07/09 04:06 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: flatlands]
m/ark Offline

"lesson learned. The old saying is you get what you paid for, true enough"

Not realy true in to days pricy market, I brougtht a jack wolf skin jacket and the zip fell apart after a year. burghous is not much better or north face, it all depends on what you are doing, good boots are a must for any long term walk, but waterproofs for the C2C might as well be purchased from ALDI.

#48805 - 19/07/09 08:08 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
RedDevil Offline

end of the day... waterproof is waterproof!!

if your caught in sideways Rain on top of the moors, then fancy clothing logos will not impress, but staying dry will smile

#48808 - 19/07/09 09:27 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: RedDevil]
forkhandles Offline

Just returned from a golfing wkend in Whitby and the "snobbery" thing raised its ugly head once again! After giving the golf club lots of my hard-earned cash for the pleasure of walking aroung their course,i was refused the right to enter their clubhouse,to hand over more cash,because i wasn't wearing a TIE!
I think i've found the solution to combat my fear of "snobbery" once and for all!
Golfing the C2C.
I will Tee-off from St.Bees beach and then see how many shots it takes to reach RHB.I will be wearing a mixture of Plus fours,hiking boots,a diamond tank-top,golfing glove and will carry a rucksack and pull my trolley behind me.I will wear around my neck a map and a distance chart and will wash my balls in the rivers and streams!

#48809 - 19/07/09 10:12 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
Oldun Offline

This I must see

#48812 - 19/07/09 10:40 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Oldun]
m/ark Offline

I think you are wrong with this one, it is just a dress code,although I can immagine the type of people that play golf wearing their pringle jumpers and and silly hats, one thing does baffle me, they tend to drive large estate cars, such as BMWs and after a round of golf they hit the ninteenth hole in the bar, but how many of them ever get a taxi home after drinking three or more pints? Just look at all the cars out side the club house next time you visit the course.

I bet these people drive home and will never get pulled by the police as they tend to look law abiding in their pringle jumpers and silly sherlock hats inside there flashy BMWs. if you drive a ford you might be taking a gamble.

#48815 - 20/07/09 01:05 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
flatlands Offline

"lesson learned. The old saying is you get what you paid for, true enough"

Not realy true in to days pricy market, I brougtht a jack wolf skin jacket and the zip fell apart after a year. burghous is not much better or north face, it all depends on what you are doing, good boots are a must for any long term walk, but waterproofs for the C2C might as well be purchased from ALDI.
I'm never going to buy anything from Aldi again, esq the walking boots. There gave me feet problems from Richmond to Robin Hood's Bay, really there should of been binned in Kirkby Stephen. I had bad blister's and sore feet from Borrowdale, infact the last of the hard skin has gone.

The North Face and Berghaus is all good stuff, I've boots, jackets, t-shirt's, tents and trainers from these two company and still the best. But I'm not a snob, just love the name. Come on, there are the best.

#48822 - 20/07/09 11:52 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Lounge Lizard Offline

I think you are wrong with this one, it is just a dress code,although I can immagine the type of people that play golf wearing their pringle jumpers and and silly hats, one thing does baffle me, they tend to drive large estate cars, such as BMWs and after a round of golf they hit the ninteenth hole in the bar, but how many of them ever get a taxi home after drinking three or more pints? Just look at all the cars out side the club house next time you visit the course.

I bet these people drive home and will never get pulled by the police as they tend to look law abiding in their pringle jumpers and silly sherlock hats inside there flashy BMWs. if you drive a ford you might be taking a gamble.

Driving home after a good session in the nineteenth hole isn't a problem for these people as they are mostly police officers, magistrates or freemasons - one law for them and one for the rest of us.

#48826 - 20/07/09 01:16 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
RedDevil Offline

they can drive home drunk... cos there good DRIVERS

geddit... golf...drivers smile doh!

ok sorry, ill get my coat frown

#48827 - 20/07/09 01:39 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Slogger]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
" The same is true with clothing, do you think the mountain rescue teams wear expensive clothing and equipment because they are snobs, no its because their gear is better than the cheaper gear.
quote]"

Why do you think I joined? Couldn't afford the gear any other way !!!!

#48840 - 20/07/09 06:57 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Janice & Rottie]
m/ark Offline

Does rottie get the kit as well?

Yes there is some truth with having expensive gear, but I think the question should be asked why is it so expensive in this country and just a normal price every where else in europe?

although I still think it is all over hyped, instead of buying an expencive fleece just use a layer system this is much more effective as you get better control over your body temp, also it does not matter what trousers you wear as long as they dry out quick, the point is you dont need all this kit just for a silly walk over the lakes, although if you was going to do a proper mountain like in french alps, then of couse you would need good kit and probably much better than the designer kit you see people wearing on the lakes.

#48841 - 20/07/09 07:18 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Andy J Offline

Loc: Bucks,England
Golfing the C2C what a great idea; 18 days I guess as it's a fair way to go and you would not want to putt yourself under too much pressure. Plenty of hazards along the way - streams, bunkhouses and rough going under foot. Always the prospect of a friendly B&B landlady at the end of the day with a welcoming cup of tee, made properly with loose tea from a caddy. A good map wood help you iron out any navigational problems and if you are lucky you may see the High Street eagle and some other birdies. Take a handkerchief in case you nose runs. If you start to flag because you're handicapped by your baggage I'm sure you could pin your hopes on a par tner like Sherpa helping out.

#48859 - 21/07/09 02:09 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
[quote=m/ark]Does rottie get the kit as well?

Fraid not M/ark. They wouldn't have her in the team. If the casualty wasn’t having a heart attack, they soon would be if a Rottweiler ran up to them barking !!!!

On a more serious note, I actually only have one extravagance and that is my walking gear...I will pay for quality because I spend so much time on the fells, but I do admit to being dissapointed. Sometimes the item is not up to the hype. It doesn't matter to me at all what other walkers's wear as long as it does the job for them.

#48867 - 21/07/09 05:45 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
The thing is how do you know what others have been up to. Seems to me there are some that look down on others who are wearing expensive brand gear. As is suggested you dont need fancy gear for a simple walk, but how do you know what they have been doing. They may well have been doing some outlandish adventure thing that you wouldnt even possibly conceive of doing, you never know.
My mate and myself had to laugh a few years ago when we had completed a climb up LLewedd on Snowdons Horseshoe. We has all the gear and very expensive at that. My mate wanted to walk down the path alongside the railway track to visit the point where he and his son had reached the week before on a walk which they abandoned because of poor visibility. After we had found this spot we turned and were walking back up the same path before descending doown Crib y Dyssygl. We got some funny looks before it dawned on us that people must have thought we were right pratts with all that gear just to walk up the Snowdon Railway path!
Dave.

#48881 - 21/07/09 10:19 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Slogger]
Oldun Offline

When we are talking about posh gear, are we talking about stuff that looks expensive but does not do the job, or are we talking about stuff that just happens to be expensive because it does the job?

#48885 - 21/07/09 11:16 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
boggleholed Offline

Just returned from a golfing wkend in Whitby and the "snobbery" thing raised its ugly head once again! After giving the golf club lots of my hard-earned cash for the pleasure of walking aroung their course,i was refused the right to enter their clubhouse,to hand over more cash,because i wasn't wearing a TIE!
I think i've found the solution to combat my fear of "snobbery" once and for all!
Golfing the C2C.
I will Tee-off from St.Bees beach and then see how many shots it takes to reach RHB.I will be wearing a mixture of Plus fours,hiking boots,a diamond tank-top,golfing glove and will carry a rucksack and pull my trolley behind me.I will wear around my neck a map and a distance chart and will wash my balls in the rivers and streams!

what in the lords name has snobbery got to do with dress code? keeps out the riffraff and the low life and the face that doesn't fit types.and of course the paranoid. and the dancing queens. and the snobs who won't wear a tie. ( this i believe may constitute a tautologous argument - what do you think forkinghandles? )

maybe it's just that i'm more a pitch n putt man myself. pay & go the f**k off.

a series of unfortunate events appear to follow you around forkinghandles don't they?

what's next?

#48889 - 22/07/09 12:14 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
RedDevil Offline

wooahh... Boggleholed!!

Had a bad day mate?

#48891 - 22/07/09 02:39 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
m/ark Offline

[/quote]

should that be (pay & go and f**k off. not sure if this sentence made sence.

#48909 - 22/07/09 01:05 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
boggleholed Offline

you may need to register as the 'new m/ark'

i'll check forum rules and get to you.

#48918 - 22/07/09 02:15 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
m/ark Offline

thanks for that, I told you my spelling was getting better.

#48967 - 23/07/09 05:11 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
forkhandles Offline

oh dear boggleholed! guess you're another internet hardman hiding behind your little screen eh?
Well tell you what,next time i'm doing some part of the c2c,hows about coming to meet me and saying it to my face instead of mouthing at the [email protected]!
Golfing the C2C.

what in the lords name has snobbery got to do with dress code? keeps out the riffraff and the low life and the face that doesn't fit types.and of course the paranoid. and the dancing queens. and the snobs who won't wear a tie. ( this i believe may constitute a tautologous argument - what do you think forkinghandles? )

a series of unfortunate events appear to follow you around forkinghandles don't they?

what's next?

#48975 - 23/07/09 09:19 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
m/ark Offline

come on forkhandles boggleholed will tear you up, he served as a royal marine in the SBS, I would not mess with him

#49010 - 24/07/09 01:09 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
boggleholed Offline

oh i'm really really sorry forkhandles.

i'm only a little man with a bald head and a big tummy. and i speak with a squeaky voice....please don't hurt me.

i know you are a big strong man who drinks ( on average ) 11 pints every night.

i bet you also have a lovely singing voice ( bass of course ) which works very well on abba songs.

i'm sure we can sort all this out amicably ; how about a round at whitby pitch n putt followed by f&c in the magpie ( no dress code - dress as scruffily as you like - and its licensed ) you'll probably be allowed to burp and fart.

don't forget your whooppee cushion ; we'll have loads of fun.

#49030 - 25/07/09 12:12 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
m/ark Offline

I told him you was in the SBS, not sunshine bus service, come on boggleholed be a man and stand up for yourself instead of whimping out.

#49034 - 25/07/09 12:22 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
forkhandles Offline

Yeah Boggleholed lets get this thing sorted man to ?.You set off from the west,me from the east and we'll meet somewhere nr Keld on The Bridge Over The River Swale. Winner takes it all!

#49083 - 26/07/09 10:39 AM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: Black Sailor]
boggleholed Offline

ok ok keld it is.

i know you'll want to start with a couple of looseners in the lodge ; diet coke for me with ice and a slice.

we'll then arm wrestle followed by a tug-of-war.

we'll then have a farting and burping competition.

finished off with a who can sing the rowdiest ( and f**k the other punters ) competition.

i know these games play to your strengths but i'm prepared to give it a go.

BH.

BTW who's been causing you offence this weekend : checkout assistant in aldi who gave you a funny look? traffic management operative who turned the sign to red as you approached because he didn't like the look of your number plate? the victor meldrew fan club that returned your application form because forkcandles wasn't a valid name? the rain clouds and black dog that keep following you around?

have a nice day.

#49111 - 26/07/09 07:06 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
m/ark Offline

well boggleholed, looks like you have shut him up.

#49113 - 26/07/09 07:53 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
And some shin kicking for good measure.

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#49114 - 26/07/09 07:56 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
boggleholed Offline

i believe he may have a prior engagement.i understand he is auditioning for the lead role in the new misical ' ABBA : there part in my downfall'.it's the story of a ronnie barker fan with tourettes who walks from one side of the country to another shouting out the lyrics from songs of an old swedish pop band. he annoys everyone he meets with his boorish behaviour ( although most pretend to laugh with him ). his behaviour gets worse as the sun falls and as he drains barrel after barrel of peroni 'ale'. as he piles on the miles he gets increasingly paranoid and thinks everyone is out to get him. infact all they want him to do is STFU!!it's actually a very sad story. be sure and bring your tissues if you go and see it.

#49115 - 26/07/09 07:56 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
boggleholed Offline

musical

#49122 - 26/07/09 09:11 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
m/ark Offline

that is funny.

#49138 - 26/07/09 11:30 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: m/ark]
boggleholed Offline

i'm a funny guy.

but forkhandles is funnier.

#49179 - 28/07/09 05:14 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: boggleholed]
forkhandles Offline

Ah,you managed to spell my username right this time bumbedhole? Disgraceful mistake from a perfectionist like yourself eh? Shit think i got your name wrong! or mabey not?

#49201 - 29/07/09 01:30 PM Re: Walking/Hiking Snobbery! [Re: forkhandles]
m/ark Offline

Bogglehead and fockhandles what is wrong with you too, you both have sence of humour and are wasting it on each other. when there is plenty of fresh meat to be had in greener pastures.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917