The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48879 - 21/07/09 09:35 PM Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!!
vfrracer Offline

I was hoping to pick the brains of all you veterans of the PW- fair play to you all! I have always wanted to walk the Way, and have decided that next year is IT. Have planned to do it in 19 days, and stay in B&Bs, but I am a bit scared of that being a bit too restrictive and regimented, being tied to a destination every night... so I am now considering some camping, and maybe realx a bit more about the timescales. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

#48880 - 21/07/09 09:59 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Whilst you are considering some camping don't forget youth hostels. It is good to mix with fellow walkers in the evening and decide on which pub to go to!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019 - 2020 NOTHING!.

#48882 - 21/07/09 10:35 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: vfrracer
I was hoping to pick the brains of all you veterans of the PW- fair play to you all! I have always wanted to walk the Way, and have decided that next year is IT. Have planned to do it in 19 days, and stay in B&Bs, but I am a bit scared of that being a bit too restrictive and regimented, being tied to a destination every night... so I am now considering some camping, and maybe realx a bit more about the timescales. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If carrying a tent is no problem for you then I wouldn't bother pre-booking B&B's. My thoughts are that would be too restrictive. You may want/have to lay up a day somewhere but will be unable to because of a schedule. I didn't book anything along the PW and just combined tent/YHA/B&B. The couple of times I decided to look for a B&B it was no problem finding one with a vacancy.
(it's also cheaper to supplement your accomodation with tent or YHA!)
Good luck.

#48895 - 22/07/09 08:19 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
There's a world of difference between camping and using B&B/hostels.
If you can manage the extra weight of tent and sleeping bag, take them. You can then stop where and when you want, and if the weather or tiredness afflict you there's still the other option.
I don't take cooking gear. There are plenty of ways of feeding yourself, provided you aren't attached to regular mealtimes and traditional full English breakfasts.
Enjoy it - 19 days should be a nice relaxed timescale on the PW for most regular walkers.

#48896 - 22/07/09 09:53 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Stottie]
tomread Offline

We did it in 20 days, including a "rest day" of just 4 miles from Garrigill to Alston, so probably similar to your 19 day schedule. We pre-booked everything along the way, and this was not a problem. If anything it drives you on, and on a 19 day schedule you don't need the flexibility to do a shorter one, a longer one etc, the days are all manageable.

If/when I do the Offa's Dyke Path, the C2C or even the PW again, I will again pre-book the full route. More details here:

http://tomread.co.uk

#48908 - 22/07/09 12:55 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: tomread]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
It really does depend when you are doing it, booking ahead is wise in high season but not as crucial at other times. If you book ahead and hit a snag you can ring your next stop and delay for a day provided your B&B or hostel has space they are usually more than happy to shift your booking. The people who offer accommodation along long distance walks are well used to the this kind of thing.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#49055 - 25/07/09 12:45 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I wouldnt be scared of not making the daily distance over a 19 day trip. It will be harder carrying camping gear over the same time lengh, but if you feel you are capable of carrying it, then making the daily distance without it, using B&B's will be a doddle.
Dave.

#49292 - 31/07/09 07:54 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Slogger]
Oates Offline

Loc: Derby
Hi vfrracer!
we did it in August 2007 (Jackie and Me with 15 yr old son!)Took 21 days with some 'days off'
We carried camping gear and combined it with YHA and B&B!

Before we set off we booked our first night at Crowden campsite.

Also booked our first weekend at Malham (my sister picked us up in Malham on Friday and took us to Ribblehead hotel) - Baths and food and laundry done!!

The only other bookings that we made were 2 nights on the posh campsite at Bellingham, and our last night at the Border Hotel in KY.
We used six YHA altogether, (2 camping in the grounds as there were no beds available), but of course we still got to use all the facilities.

We used Langdon Beck (they had a Family Room with En-suite!), and booked Dufton as we left ready for the next night. Did the same again as we left dufton for Alston, (no room but camped in grounds)
Just remembered that we also booked Tan Hill for Camping! (charged us two pounds (not each!!)

A number of times we just stopped on the hill for the night! A memorable one was it getting dark and as we rounded a wall we saw a wonderful flat area so we put up the tents, made dinner and slept sound! Next morning Jackie looked out of the tent and said, "Hey there's a ruined house that we didn't see last night!" It was Top Withens of Bronte fame!

Also stayed at Hawes YHA. we were concerned that it might be booked up so we rang them in the afternoon and booked it by phone while we stood outside the hostel! Sure enough when we got to reception at around 5:30 the group in front of were told that there were no rooms available!

And make sure you book early with Joyce at Byrness! (Camping avialable there as well if you need it!)

So We didn't plan too tight allowing us to go along as we felt fit, but had destinations booked every so often to keep us on track!

Hope it's been of some use to you!

Good luck with the planning!

#49327 - 01/08/09 09:49 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Oates]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
When I did the PW back in 1995, we took the camping gear. If you haven't done it before, I'de advise you to pack your rucksack with what you think you will need and go for a long day walk with hills included.

On our first day, it rained from Kinder Scout onwards relentlessly. When we got to Crowden, we were both extremely tired and really didn't fancy having to put the tent up in the rain. Fortunately the YHA space for us and soon we were showered and tucking into well appreciated dinner.

On our last night we camped at Clennel Street in the Cheviots, which saved us another 6 miles to the B and B and also about 100. So maybe...take the tent etc as long as you understand you have to carry it over @ 70,000 feet (or whatever it is) of asent/decent. We were as fit as we had ever been after carrying 35 - 40 lbs packs to Kirk Yetholm. Anyway, good luck with your choice. Test the weight of the pack out first though.

midgetarget

#49332 - 01/08/09 10:44 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: midgetarget]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
If you take your full kit and find it's too heavy, then you could always use the Sherpavan service to carry your gear. They don't cover all of the walk though, only from Malham upwards, I think and you're still restricted in that you obviously need to be where they drop your bags off at the end of the day.

midgetarget

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917