The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#48879 - 21/07/09 09:35 PM Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!!
vfrracer Offline

I was hoping to pick the brains of all you veterans of the PW- fair play to you all! I have always wanted to walk the Way, and have decided that next year is IT. Have planned to do it in 19 days, and stay in B&Bs, but I am a bit scared of that being a bit too restrictive and regimented, being tied to a destination every night... so I am now considering some camping, and maybe realx a bit more about the timescales. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

#48880 - 21/07/09 09:59 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Whilst you are considering some camping don't forget youth hostels. It is good to mix with fellow walkers in the evening and decide on which pub to go to!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019 - 2020 NOTHING!.

#48882 - 21/07/09 10:35 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: vfrracer
I was hoping to pick the brains of all you veterans of the PW- fair play to you all! I have always wanted to walk the Way, and have decided that next year is IT. Have planned to do it in 19 days, and stay in B&Bs, but I am a bit scared of that being a bit too restrictive and regimented, being tied to a destination every night... so I am now considering some camping, and maybe realx a bit more about the timescales. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

If carrying a tent is no problem for you then I wouldn't bother pre-booking B&B's. My thoughts are that would be too restrictive. You may want/have to lay up a day somewhere but will be unable to because of a schedule. I didn't book anything along the PW and just combined tent/YHA/B&B. The couple of times I decided to look for a B&B it was no problem finding one with a vacancy.
(it's also cheaper to supplement your accomodation with tent or YHA!)
Good luck.

#48895 - 22/07/09 08:19 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
There's a world of difference between camping and using B&B/hostels.
If you can manage the extra weight of tent and sleeping bag, take them. You can then stop where and when you want, and if the weather or tiredness afflict you there's still the other option.
I don't take cooking gear. There are plenty of ways of feeding yourself, provided you aren't attached to regular mealtimes and traditional full English breakfasts.
Enjoy it - 19 days should be a nice relaxed timescale on the PW for most regular walkers.

#48896 - 22/07/09 09:53 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Stottie]
tomread Offline

We did it in 20 days, including a "rest day" of just 4 miles from Garrigill to Alston, so probably similar to your 19 day schedule. We pre-booked everything along the way, and this was not a problem. If anything it drives you on, and on a 19 day schedule you don't need the flexibility to do a shorter one, a longer one etc, the days are all manageable.

If/when I do the Offa's Dyke Path, the C2C or even the PW again, I will again pre-book the full route. More details here:

http://tomread.co.uk

#48908 - 22/07/09 12:55 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: tomread]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
It really does depend when you are doing it, booking ahead is wise in high season but not as crucial at other times. If you book ahead and hit a snag you can ring your next stop and delay for a day provided your B&B or hostel has space they are usually more than happy to shift your booking. The people who offer accommodation along long distance walks are well used to the this kind of thing.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#49055 - 25/07/09 12:45 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I wouldnt be scared of not making the daily distance over a 19 day trip. It will be harder carrying camping gear over the same time lengh, but if you feel you are capable of carrying it, then making the daily distance without it, using B&B's will be a doddle.
Dave.

#49292 - 31/07/09 07:54 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Slogger]
Oates Offline

Loc: Derby
Hi vfrracer!
we did it in August 2007 (Jackie and Me with 15 yr old son!)Took 21 days with some 'days off'
We carried camping gear and combined it with YHA and B&B!

Before we set off we booked our first night at Crowden campsite.

Also booked our first weekend at Malham (my sister picked us up in Malham on Friday and took us to Ribblehead hotel) - Baths and food and laundry done!!

The only other bookings that we made were 2 nights on the posh campsite at Bellingham, and our last night at the Border Hotel in KY.
We used six YHA altogether, (2 camping in the grounds as there were no beds available), but of course we still got to use all the facilities.

We used Langdon Beck (they had a Family Room with En-suite!), and booked Dufton as we left ready for the next night. Did the same again as we left dufton for Alston, (no room but camped in grounds)
Just remembered that we also booked Tan Hill for Camping! (charged us two pounds (not each!!)

A number of times we just stopped on the hill for the night! A memorable one was it getting dark and as we rounded a wall we saw a wonderful flat area so we put up the tents, made dinner and slept sound! Next morning Jackie looked out of the tent and said, "Hey there's a ruined house that we didn't see last night!" It was Top Withens of Bronte fame!

Also stayed at Hawes YHA. we were concerned that it might be booked up so we rang them in the afternoon and booked it by phone while we stood outside the hostel! Sure enough when we got to reception at around 5:30 the group in front of were told that there were no rooms available!

And make sure you book early with Joyce at Byrness! (Camping avialable there as well if you need it!)

So We didn't plan too tight allowing us to go along as we felt fit, but had destinations booked every so often to keep us on track!

Hope it's been of some use to you!

Good luck with the planning!

#49327 - 01/08/09 09:49 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Oates]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
When I did the PW back in 1995, we took the camping gear. If you haven't done it before, I'de advise you to pack your rucksack with what you think you will need and go for a long day walk with hills included.

On our first day, it rained from Kinder Scout onwards relentlessly. When we got to Crowden, we were both extremely tired and really didn't fancy having to put the tent up in the rain. Fortunately the YHA space for us and soon we were showered and tucking into well appreciated dinner.

On our last night we camped at Clennel Street in the Cheviots, which saved us another 6 miles to the B and B and also about 100. So maybe...take the tent etc as long as you understand you have to carry it over @ 70,000 feet (or whatever it is) of asent/decent. We were as fit as we had ever been after carrying 35 - 40 lbs packs to Kirk Yetholm. Anyway, good luck with your choice. Test the weight of the pack out first though.

midgetarget

#49332 - 01/08/09 10:44 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: midgetarget]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
If you take your full kit and find it's too heavy, then you could always use the Sherpavan service to carry your gear. They don't cover all of the walk though, only from Malham upwards, I think and you're still restricted in that you obviously need to be where they drop your bags off at the end of the day.

midgetarget

#49358 - 01/08/09 11:14 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: midgetarget]
joyce taylor Offline

The post office in Bellingham is kept busy by North to southers posting home all the things they thought they would need.I dare say there is a post office about 20 miles up from Edale being kept busy by the south to northers doing the same.

#49377 - 02/08/09 12:44 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: joyce taylor]
Oates Offline

Maps are heavy! And you need about 10 for the Pennine way!

We swapped the used up ones for the next lot when my sister met us and we resupplied at Malham. As there were three of us though we were able to share them out, but every little helps!

If you have any accom. booked then you can post a parcel to them for when you get there!

We sent a parcel on to the Border Hotel so that we had clothes and shoes to sit in the restaurant and to travel back home in! Also we were able to ditch all sorts there including my boots which had really given up from Hawes!

As you walk down the road into KY there's a cottage with lots of pairs of old boots outside, so I guess that the PW has that effect on lots of other peoples as well as mine!!

We also sent maps and other things to the campsite at Belligham for when we arrived as we were there for two nights, (Although the shop on the site is very good, and of course most things are available in Bellingham itself!) Try the Cafe just up from the bank. Good food, good price! Also a good Hardware store with most things for backpackers/campers. AND the butchers is very good!

Good Luck!
Pete

#49378 - 02/08/09 12:47 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Oates]
Oates Offline

Oh! And I've mentioned before about Joyce's cupboard at Byrness - so remember to 'look into it'!!

#50072 - 11/08/09 11:28 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Oates]
Geo Offline

Loc: Oamaru, New Zealand
Originally Posted By: Oates
Maps are heavy! And you need about 10 for the Pennine way!

Yes, maps are always a problem when several are needed!
Luckily for the PW, I took a small guidebook "The Pennine Way" by Martin Collins, published by Cicerone press.
175mm x 120mm x 10mm
220gms.
The cover is 'plasticised' which proved very practical when things got a bit damp.
It covered the entire trail with description and coloured topographic strip maps reproduced on each page. Also included info such as accomodation, camps, resupply points etc.

Worth checking out. I found it excellent and all that was needed.

#50172 - 15/08/09 11:40 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Geo]
vfrracer Offline

I have the trailblazers book and the 2 PW National Trail Guides which both seem to be very comprehensive. Will these be enough or will I need to take all the OS maps aswell?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a decent 2 man tent? We will be sharing the weight, so we have also been looking at lightweight 3 man tents to give us more room?? Ay ideas?

Thanks for all the help so far, it has been great!!

#50173 - 15/08/09 12:39 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I have a 2 man Taurus Ultralight tent that weighs 1.95 kilos and is quick and easy to pitch. It has a vestibule, fly sheet, sown in groundsheet, the weight also includes a groundsheet protector. Having had a quick look on the Internet for the current cost it appears to be about 100 more than I paid although I did get mine in a sale.

As far as OS maps are concerned then I must admit that I like taking them so that you can see what is "off route" alternatively you could borrow them from your library, regrettably you are not supposed to take copies as they are copyright.....!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019 - 2020 NOTHING!.

#51747 - 19/10/09 06:22 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: midgetarget]
Les + Heidi Offline

Loc: hertfordshire
We did the Ridgeway and the coast to coast this year and now starting to plan the pennine way for our 2010 LDP. When are you planning to do the walk ?
les

#51793 - 21/10/09 05:01 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
vfrracer Offline

We are intending to start in early June next year....depends on my exam timetable at Uni, we wnat to get started as soon as my exams have finished.....

#51897 - 28/10/09 07:06 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Les + Heidi Offline

We've penciled in the first Wed in June 2010 to leave Edale, probably an 18 day walk. We may see you on the trail !!

#52704 - 07/12/09 08:34 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: midgetarget]
happywalker Offline

Loc: england
We did it in 19 days, in June 2006. We had a day off in Hawes, booked all our accommodation in advance and had our luggage carried. It was still DEAD HARD! but a great experience, not as good as the C2C which we have done twice, you meet more people on the C2C. Good luck!!!!

Happywalker.

#52720 - 08/12/09 08:46 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: happywalker]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: happywalker
you meet more people on the C2C.

That could be agood enough reason to do the Pennine Way! grin
Dave.

#52738 - 09/12/09 07:43 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: happywalker]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
"not as good as the C2C"

Yes ... there's nothing like the sheer exhilaration of walking alongside the Whitby/Scarborough road. Much preferable to Cross Fell any day.

#52944 - 27/12/09 01:58 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: slowcoach]
beefy Offline

Well said Slogger and Slowcoach, when I crossed the C2C on the P.W. I was really envious of the many people I could see in the valley below walking this route near Keld. It looked like a high street from my viewing point high above. Each to their own I suppose!

#54499 - 28/03/10 12:22 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: beefy]
Les + Heidi Offline

Its been a while since I posted here; our Pennine way attempt is drawing closer, now planned for first Tues in June this year. My other half isn't able to come with me this time as she is now a staff nurse and doesn't have sufficient holiday so I'll be walking with an old friend who has completed the way twice before.

We're camping all the way so I've made some in roads into reducing pack weight, I purchased an Osprey Exos 58 last year, less than a kilo and very comfortable.
Have just got the new Vaude power Lizard tent at 900g, and have an Alpkit PD400 sleeping bag at 750g on order. I'm hoping to have the pack weight down to approx 15-17lbs.

Heidi and I are going to do the White Peak way over easter as part of the training, its a lovely part of the world so really looking forward to trying out this new kit.

I hope everyone planning the way this year the very best of luck. VFRRACER are you still going early june ??

Les'

#54501 - 28/03/10 02:02 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
joyce taylor Offline

I dont know about VFRRACER but the world and his wife are walking it in early June.Last week of May and first in June are extremely busy we have at least 50% more booking for that fortnight than we had last year,other dates are busier too it looks as if the effect that the opening of Hadrians wall path had on the Pennine way is receeding.

#54502 - 28/03/10 02:33 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: joyce taylor]
vfrracer Offline

Yes, we are still setting off from Edale on the 5th June 2010... getting vey excited now! We have had to cut down the budget so have ended up buying a Vango Banshee 200 tent, its 2KG but my husband and I are going to share the weight so thats not too bad. Got our rucksacks and sleeping bags sorted. Doing the first days walk from Edale to Crowden (and then back again after a night in Crowden testing out the gear) next weekend as a training walk. Just been planning our schedule to try and avoid taking cooking gear and just use supplies collected along the way.
Also we are doing the walk in aid of Help for Heroes, so if you feel like sponsoring us visit www.justgiving.com/kirsty_Atkinson, as all donations are gratefully received!

#54597 - 04/04/10 03:34 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Originally Posted By: Les + Heidi

We're camping all the way so I've made some in roads into reducing pack weight, I purchased an Osprey Exos 58 last year,
Les'

I did the PW with an Osprey 50 litre Athmos, I have been after a bigger sac but all my searches have only found the 46ltr Exos. The only 58 ltr ones I have found seem only to be available in the USA. Where did you purchase yours from?
Dave.

#54754 - 12/04/10 02:14 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi Dave,
Sorry for the slow reply, have been away (managed a few days on the Chiletrn way over easter). The Exos 58 was a real job to find but I got it here in th UK from Blacks down in Surrey but I've just done a search and I cant see it listed on the website anymore. When I got mine it was one of only three they had so maybe it was a one of stocking, I'm not really sure. My other half wants one too, so am on the lookout again myself so will reply here again if I find a supplier. Let me know if you have any luck
Rgds
Les

#54757 - 12/04/10 03:33 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Les + Heidi Offline

Hi again Dave,
My memory was playing tricks. I didnt get the sack from Blacks, it was from 'Outside LTD' in Haversage. Their website has the 58 showing in S/M/l.
I just spoke to Osprey UK and they pointed me in the direction of outside and also Taunton Leisure for the 58. All Cotswold staff are trained to measure you for the osprey range and they can special order a pack for you apparantly.
Hope this helps
Les

#54760 - 12/04/10 04:50 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Thanks very much for that, not the cheapest but the best never is.
Dave.

#55624 - 31/05/10 07:49 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Slogger]
Les + Heidi Offline

Well the time has come at last, heading north to Edale this afterrnoon and starting the walk tomorrow. Wish me luck, I wonder if I'll bump into anyone. Will report back in 18 days (hopefully not before !!.
Cheers
Les

#55632 - 31/05/10 07:18 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
Slogger Offline

Good Luck, don't get lost, don't wimp out, don't worry about the weather just have a fantastic time.
Dave.

#55662 - 01/06/10 08:17 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

They're doing a survey of walkers undertaking national trails this summer, so if a bearded, bespectacled bloke accosts you with a clipboard at the White House, Malham or Keld remember that he is very susceptible to bribes of old ale ....

#55683 - 02/06/10 06:41 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: slowcoach]
Stottie Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
They're doing a survey of walkers undertaking national trails this summer, so if a bearded, bespectacled bloke accosts you with a clipboard at the White House, Malham or Keld remember that he is very susceptible to bribes of old ale ....

If anyone accosted me when I was into my stride he'd get short shrift! But if he was paying for the beer, well...

#55699 - 02/06/10 09:29 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Stottie]
slowcoach Offline

In all seriousness these surveys provide a lot of valuable feedback which, horror upon horror, is actually acted upon!

One question asks for any problems experienced on the walk. It is this question that prompted the inclusion of accommodation on the website (of all trails) and the increasing availability of information in locations away from the traditional walking areas.

Bear this question in mind as you walk along (and don't reply " ban people taking surveys" .... this has been said .....

#56191 - 19/06/10 01:30 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: slowcoach]
Les + Heidi Offline

I'm afraid my attempt wasn't successful. All was well upto Dufton when I got some kind of nasty stomach upset (stomach cramps, vomitting and the unmentionables). Nothing I drank or ate stayed in me for more that half an hour for the next three days. I carried on hoping it would pass but had to call it a day at Once Brewed on the Wall. Im sitting at home now three days later still rough as hell and very week. Bloody shame as it had been really enjoyable upto that point.
There will have to be a return visit on of these days.
Les

#56197 - 19/06/10 04:55 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
slowcoach Offline

Heartfelt commiserations. What a shame that you got so close to completing the walk, but, not feeling too grand isn't a good idea in the Cheviots. You can now look forward to planning and completing it at some time in the future.

#56242 - 20/06/10 06:19 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Les,
So sorry you had such a bad time and had to call it a day. I understand the disappointment you feel. We had to turn back on the Everest Base Camp trek after my wife went down with altitude sickness and couldn't stop vomiting.
There's always another day.
Dave.

#56258 - 21/06/10 07:38 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Slogger]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Really sorry Les. If you have to drop out due to a cock up you have made then that's your fault. But to be beaten by illness is such bad luck.

I'm sure that you will be able to use your experience of the PW for next time for as Slow ans Slogs say above, enjoy planning again as there will be another day!

#56259 - 21/06/10 08:53 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Kate's Dad]
Sentinel Offline

Unlucky Les but you did the right thing. The hills will always be there for another day but if chance it and get stuck somewhere you may not.

#56261 - 21/06/10 08:58 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Kate's Dad]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: Kate's Dad
Really sorry Les. If you have to drop out due to a cock up you have made then that's your fault. But to be beaten by illness is such bad luck.

I'm sure that you will be able to use your experience of the PW for next time for as Slow ans Slogs say above, enjoy planning again as there will be another day!

i echo that

#56280 - 22/06/10 06:12 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Sentinel]
Les + Heidi Offline

Thank you all for your kind words, they're much appreciated. Im still off work but on a penicillin course after a visit to the doctors yesterday so hopefully things will improve soon (Im loosing more weight than I was when walking lol). Tentative plan forming to go for the PW again summer 2012.
All the best
Les

#56281 - 22/06/10 06:13 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Sentinel]
Les + Heidi Offline

Thank you all for your kind words, they're much appreciated. Im still off work but on a penicillin course after a visit to the doctors yesterday so hopefully things will improve soon (Im loosing more weight than I was when walking lol). Tentative plan forming to go for the PW again summer 2012.
All the best
Les

#56448 - 24/06/10 08:23 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
vfrracer Offline

Les, we saw your note in Gregs Hut when we spent the night there (I think about 6 days after your visit) stating that you were not too good. Sorry you had to drop out, what a shame as I can imagine the mental struggle you must have faced in that decision. Hope you feel better soon!

Without trying to sound like I am rubbing salt in the wound... we made it! As first time long distance walkers carrying all our own kit (including camping gear) we completed in 19 days with 1 rest day, and I am bordering on astonishment. We were met with much shock whenever we mentioned to anyone that this was our first walk, but we still made it... Thanks to all who offered advice on this forum as it wouldn't have been possible without it!!

#56451 - 24/06/10 09:51 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Stottie Offline

Well done racer - Glad the feet didn't stop you.
Feels fantastic, don't ya think!?

#56464 - 25/06/10 10:15 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
Les + Heidi Offline

Congratulations VFR, Im really pleased for you. Planning going back to do it again with Heidi in 2012 now.

Whats next for you ?

PS Was it busy when you did the walk, I was surprised how busy it was TBH, I regulary crossed pathes with 7 or 8 people doing roughhly the same schedule as I was. Like being back on the C2C lol

#57097 - 11/07/10 03:27 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
vfrracer Offline

I was surprised how many people were walking the way too. There were 3 other couples and a lone female who all set off on the walk on the same day as us. two of the couples were completing in 15 days, the other in 17. I just guessed that was usual??

#57098 - 11/07/10 05:03 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: vfrracer]
joyce taylor Offline

Nope it was not unusal. This year has seen a return to the numbers of people Pennine Waying that used to walk it.We have had up to 20 on one night and very few nights since late April has there been no-one Pennine waying.So if you add up that there will have been people camping the numbers are way up on the last few years

#57132 - 13/07/10 08:13 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: joyce taylor]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I had to pack in my first attempt at the PW in 2005. It was my first LDW and I wasn't properly prepared - my boots were falling apart - I had blisters all over my feet - it was constant rain etc etc. I guess it was dissappointing at the time but you kind of know when its time to stop.

I went back and did the full thing in 2006. It was great (not least because I had nearly 2 weeks of sun).

Surprising to hear of the numbers doing it. I think that's a good thing - the PW is the best and its a national monument to people being able to walk across the country - and as such it needs to be cherished. At the time I was doing it, I don't think many other people were doing it.

#57826 - 22/08/10 06:38 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Bliss 60]
Les + Heidi Offline

After blowing out in June when I got ill I now have a short notice opportunity to go back and finsih th last four days. So with a bit of luck I'll be back in Once Brewed on Friday evening and heading north on Sat morning !
Les

#57830 - 22/08/10 08:12 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
walkanddrink Offline

Loc: Blackpool
Les, good luck. I'm busily planning my next year's attempt after failing last year.

Mick

#58016 - 02/09/10 09:24 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: walkanddrink]
Les + Heidi Offline

A quick update just to say I finished it !
From Greenhead to Byrness it was as windy as hell with plenty of showers mixed in with sun. Enjoyable couple of days but the highlight was the Cheviot crossing. The wind dropped to virtually zero and the sun came out. I walked to just short of the Cheviot and the first day and wild camped at the begining of the path to the summitt.I found a single tent sized piece of grass amoungst the bog. Not a breath of wind, sitting on the stile when the path turns sharp left watching the sun set looking down over auchop cairn and the hills beyond was magic. THe next morning an early start up to the summit and breakfast there as the sun rose up and warmed me (there had been ice on one side of the tent when i got up at dawn, and the duckboards were icey). The last ten miles to the end were magical too, the sun highlighting the wonderful views all the way (took the high route to prolong things).
A great walk, will be back again in 2012 when Heidi wants us to walk it together.
Les

#58018 - 02/09/10 11:24 AM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: Les + Heidi]
joyce taylor Offline

It`s that last man on earth feeling that Northumberland does so well.I was thinking of you in your tent as we had our first frost that morning.Glad you made it and enjoyed it. Joyce & Colin

#59120 - 09/12/10 05:05 PM Re: Doing PW 1st time 2010- help please!! [Re: joyce taylor]
vfrracer Offline

Thats brilliant Les!! Many congratulations as I am sure the desire to complete must have been all consuming after you had got so far in June!!
I am really pleased for you
Kirsty

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917