The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1678
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35942 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49004 - 24/07/09 12:30 PM Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days
franaynge Offline

Have just returned from walking the lovely Offa's Dyke. we are two mid 20s girls who are moderately fit. Definitely a good plan to walk South to North as the more strenuous days are in the North and you will be fit by then.
Thought it might be a good idea to post our itinerary so other campers could perhaps use it. We did shorter days at the beginning until we were fitter.
Day 1 Arrive Chepstow (we did the walk to Sedbury cliffs and back this evening). Camp (or B&B) Upper sedbury house
Day 2 Chepstow to Bigsweir Bridge (then bus to Monmouth). Camp Monnow Bridge Caravan Site, Monmouth.
Day 3 Bus back to Bigsweir Bridge then walk to The Hendre. Camp The Rickyard (also has bunkhouse)
Day 4 The Hendre to Pandy. Camp Little Oasis Campsite (lovely). Nearby Old Pandy Inn is good for food esp sausages
Day 5 Pandy to Hay-on-Wye. This is a long day over the black mountains but otherwise you have to come down to go back up. Camp Radnors End Campsite
Day 6 Hay-on-Wye to Kington. Camp at Fleece Meadow Caravan Site
Day 7 Kington to Knighton. Camp at Panpwnton Camp site just beyong Knighton. Horse and Jockey Inn has cheap good food and amazing sofas for tired legs!
Day 8 Knighton to Brompton Crossroads. A hard day! We stayed at Little Brompton B&B which was good.
Day 9 Brompton to Buttington. Camp and eat at green Dragon Inn. Lovely Landlord
Day 10 Buttington to Porth-y-Waen. We got picked up by friend here, camped in Oswestry and went to Chirk Castle which is well worth a visit
Day 11 Porth-y-Waen to Pentre (near Froncysyllte) Camp at Ty Maen Farm (no shower).
Day 12 Pentre to Llandegla. B&B at Hand House (amazing breakfast at very friendly people). we took the permissive path over the aqueduct. The Plough inn does nice meals.
Day 13 Llandegla to Bodfari. A very long day but with beautiful views of the sea. Camp at Station house caravan park. Good pub Downing Arms
Day 14 Bodfari to Prestatyn. Yes a bit of an anticlimax but the beach is nice and the cafe at the end does really good cake!

#49008 - 24/07/09 12:55 PM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: franaynge]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
I walked north to south to avoid spending a depressing six days heading towards Pestatyn.

#49072 - 25/07/09 10:27 PM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: franaynge]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
Congratulations,
Day 13 seems a good slog...how far was that?..and how long?

#49085 - 26/07/09 10:57 AM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: canmal]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
Your account brings back memories although we B&B'd it, several years ago.
Dave.

#49086 - 26/07/09 11:33 AM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: Slogger]
bogstomper Offline

I completed the ODP 2 years ago from S-N and your account re-established what I've always thought and that is the ODP is better than the C2C!
The high-light of the walk must be on top of Moel Famau looking at the 360 degree panorama, with your goal in sight.
The only low point for me was that most of the pubs were closed at lunch-time, these included: The Hunters Moon Inn, Llangatock, Pandy Inn, Pandy, Green Dragon, Buttington, Golden Lion, Llangynhafal, Downing Arms, Bodfari.
In general though, the path was well sign-posted and some of the evening meals en-route were excellent, including The Horse & Jockey in Knighton which you also seemed to like. In fact you've got me in the mood to do the walk again, this time from N-S!

#49184 - 28/07/09 10:20 PM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: franaynge]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Well done - I did the ODP earlier in the year - in a couple of days less than you - but then I was B&Bing and didn't carry my own gear - so a much easier walk for me. I remember it all being pretty good - but I particularly enjoyed the Black Mountains and the Clwydian range - particularly because I was fortunate to have excellent weather on both of those stages.

#49721 - 05/08/09 07:17 PM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: Bliss 60]
m/ark Offline

Loc: Cirencester.
here we go again bliss is braging, was that before you met garry gliter or after?

#49987 - 09/08/09 05:56 PM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: canmal]
franaynge Offline

We think about 18 miles. But you are pretty fit by this stage so its not too bad. We did it in 9 hours despite enormous breakfast and lots of jellybaby stops.

#49999 - 10/08/09 03:13 AM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: franaynge]
canmal Offline

Loc: Toronto,Ontario,Canada
We'll be coming south on OD before cutting off to Castleton.Probably we'll be walking from Bodfari or Moel Arthur area to Llandegla for one stage. Last time I drove through Llandegla, I didn't see much..do you know of any handy B/b's in that area?..thanks

#50018 - 10/08/09 05:11 PM Re: Offas Dyke South to North in 14 days [Re: canmal]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Originally Posted By: canmal
We'll be coming south on OD before cutting off to Castleton.Probably we'll be walking from Bodfari or Moel Arthur area to Llandegla for one stage. Last time I drove through Llandegla, I didn't see much..do you know of any handy B/b's in that area?..thanks

Hi there - I would try the Willows Restaurant on 01978 790237. I didn't stop there - but I did call in for lunch, and the food was cheap and cheerful and the people friendly. I'm not sure that they do B&B, but I think they might do - and I'd guess that if they don't, they'd be able to suggest others round that area who do.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917