Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2630
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3337 Topics
34926 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4904 - 09/11/04 05:21 PM Whey hey it works
Redlesweb Offline

Loc: London & Glasgow
Great kids - it's working without having to log-in.

So, erm, Pennine Way. Not done it. Would love to. One of my best friends just completed and was almost blown into a Peat Bog. Sounds like fabulous fun.

#4905 - 09/11/04 09:50 PM Re: Whey hey it works
Anonymous
Unregistered

Its a great walk and one I have done many times.Not as bad as it was prior to 1990 due to the stone paths that have been laid but its still a hard slog and the weather can be grim.

Not to be missed is a night in Gregs Hut.

#4906 - 10/11/04 05:54 AM Re: Whey hey it works
Arial Offline

Who's Greg?

BTW, Apparently New Barn and Globe Farm are no longer options. Is there anyplace else to stay near or at in Standedge?

#4907 - 10/11/04 11:27 AM Re: Whey hey it works
Romur Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Arial:
Who's Greg?

BTW, Apparently New Barn and Globe Farm are no longer options. Is there anyplace else to stay near or at in Standedge?

There is a B&B about a mile downhill from Globe farm towards Diggle. I cant recall its name. I see there is a B&B listed at Harrap Green Farm, Diggle but I dont know if this is the same.

Gregs Hut is a grotty, damp and unkept bothy on the downside of Cross Fell coming from Dufton. You are better of sleeping in a tent.

The great thing about the Pennine way is that it is virtually all offroad with also few forest tracks.

#4908 - 10/11/04 01:17 PM Re: Whey hey it works
Anonymous
Unregistered

Standedge can be a problem.Its possible to find B&b in Marston or Diggle.The alternative is to push on for a few miles and camp in an old quarry near the Whitehouse Inn.Its an easy walk from Standedge and takes about two and a half hours.

I believe Greg was killed in a climbing accident in the late sixties and the hut is a memorial to him.Damp it may be but you will be glad of it if you get the usual high winds and rain on Cross Fell.

#4909 - 10/11/04 08:23 PM Re: Whey hey it works
Arial Offline

Good to Know!

I've thought about camping 1/2 the time, but am attempting to get a friend to walk with me. She is afraid the additional weight associated with camping out will be too much for a sometimes irritale hip, so...

Is it possible to Hostel-it all the way up the PW? Feels like one's cheating, but it would be nice to have the company.

#4910 - 10/11/04 11:01 PM Re: Whey hey it works
Anonymous
Unregistered

From what I can remember there are hostels at the following locations,most are close to the the route.

Edale,Crowden,Mankinholes,Earby,Malham,Hawes,Baldersdale,Middleton,Langdon Beck,Dufton,Alston,Greenhead,Once Brewed,Bellingham,Bryness and Kirk Yetholm.

#4911 - 12/11/04 11:07 PM Re: Whey hey it works
Romur Offline

There is also a hostel at Haworth, 1-2 mile offroute. This is Bronte Country if that is of interest. Dufton was/is closed for renovations. Long distances between hostels are: Crowden to Mankinholes about 23 miles and Byrness to Kirk Yetholm, 25 miles and more if you take in the Cheviot. You will probably want to stay a night in Horton in Ribblesdale, There is no hostel there.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561