The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#49428 - 02/08/09 10:55 PM any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/=
m/ark Offline

Loc: Cirencester.
???? sick

#49943 - 07/08/09 09:12 PM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: m/ark]
BMurray Offline

No, Wher is it?

#49948 - 08/08/09 05:50 AM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: BMurray]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
It's probably his idea of a joke - the Pennine Way dressed in women's clothing.

#49973 - 08/08/09 08:09 PM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
The Trans Pennine Trail is what we're hearing about - isn't it?

Intersects the Pennine Way in the Longdendale Valley where it uses the former course of the Manchester-Sheffield railway, crosses the A628 Woodhead Pass and drops down to Dunford Bridge where there used to be a decent pub (think it's closed now) and heads east on the same railway.

Might be OK for the cyclists, but I can't imagine ever walking it - actually I can imagine walking it, and it conjures up a dire experience for one who loves the hills and the informality of making his own way.

I've got a feeling it runs between Liverpool and Hull, two of the most "used-to-be" cities in England, if not the world.

#49985 - 09/08/09 08:42 AM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: Stottie]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: Stottie
The Trans Pennine Trail is what we're hearing about - isn't it?

Intersects the Pennine Way in the Longdendale Valley where it uses the former course of the Manchester-Sheffield railway, crosses the A628 Woodhead Pass and drops down to Dunford Bridge where there used to be a decent pub (think it's closed now) and heads east on the same railway.

Might be OK for the cyclists, but I can't imagine ever walking it - actually I can imagine walking it, and it conjures up a dire experience for one who loves the hills and the informality of making his own way.

I've got a feeling it runs between Liverpool and Hull, two of the most "used-to-be" cities in England, if not the world.

yes it does, there are connections from York, and I think there is also a branch going from Hull to Filey.
it is a cycle, walking and think also a bridle path

#49995 - 10/08/09 01:20 AM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: tim smith]
walkingwoman Offline

Loc: NY
The trans-pennine is a west/east trail from Southport, Liverpool, Widnes, Warrington, Stockport and Hadfield. It then crosses the Peak District,the Longdendale valley via the Longdendale Trail to Woodhead, then down through Dunford Bridge and Penistone, Doncaster, Selby, Hessle, Hull and Hornsea. The European Trail E8 uses part of it. This european trail begins using the north side of the Beara Way, in the Beara peninsula in West Ireland (the most gorgeous trail I have ever walked) and continues accross Ireland getting to East Ireland using the wicklow way, then crosses from Dubling to Liverpool and goes through England to Hull using the trans-pennine way. In Hull it crosses to Holland and continues all the way to Turkey, via Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Bulgaria and then Turkey. This last portion is unfinished. In England it uses a great portion of the trans-pennine way which in most parts is available to cyclist, riders and Wheel chair users. If any of you wanto check the other European trails, here are teh links

http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/
http://www.era-ewv-ferp.com/index.php?page_id=29t

#50003 - 10/08/09 09:04 AM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: walkingwoman]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
i think if i had been a bit younger , that would have wetted my appetite

#50012 - 10/08/09 03:37 PM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: walkingwoman]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: walkingwoman
The trans-pennine is a west/east trail from Southport, Liverpool, Widnes, Warrington, Stockport and Hadfield. It then crosses the Peak District,the Longdendale valley via the Longdendale Trail to Woodhead, then down through Dunford Bridge and Penistone, Doncaster, Selby, Hessle, Hull and Hornsea. The European Trail E8 uses part of it. This european trail begins using the north side of the Beara Way, in the Beara peninsula in West Ireland (the most gorgeous trail I have ever walked) and continues accross Ireland getting to East Ireland using the wicklow way, then crosses from Dubling to Liverpool and goes through England to Hull using the trans-pennine way. In Hull it crosses to Holland and continues all the way to Turkey, via Holland, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Bulgaria and then Turkey. This last portion is unfinished. In England it uses a great portion of the trans-pennine way which in most parts is available to cyclist, riders and Wheel chair users. If any of you wanto check the other European trails, here are teh links

http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/
http://www.era-ewv-ferp.com/index.php?page_id=29t

That trans european trail sounds good and I might consider it next year if I can get a month off work, but to be still be a proper challenge like all good long distance walks are meant to be is it considered acceptabe to take a ferry from Dublin to Liverpool and Hull to Holland ?

#50015 - 10/08/09 03:55 PM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I am not sure that I could manage the alternative although rumour has it that someone used to be able to do it!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#50037 - 10/08/09 11:38 PM Re: any one done the trans penine way ?+?+/= [Re: Harland]
walkingwoman Offline

Loc: NY
Lounge Lizard: Do you realize that the E8 is about 4390 km long? Even if you walk very fast non-stop, not sleep, no-food and yes....no ale...you will have to walk 146 km/day (91.25 miles) at a speed of 6.08 km (3.8 miles/h) to do it in a 30 day month?

Now... if you take 8 hours of sleep, food, drink and other activities, then you will have to walk for 16 hours/day at a speed of 9.12 km/h (5.7 miles/hour). As the ferries are part of the design of the journey, you should feel no guilt about it, but should think about how many hours do the two ferries take.

Nevertheless...if you take the challenge :-), I have lots of info on the Irish bit. I did this bit and then I realized that after Ireland, it was turning into a very boring walk and quit. Look at the other E trails, I believed that some of them are far more interesting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917