Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4961 - 06/12/04 10:21 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
Andy Walker Offline

Thanks for the pointers.

Looks like I have 2 options.

1) Walk from edale to somewhere like Marsden. Making a long first day. Then a shorter second day.

2) Walk from edale to crowden and have a shorter first day but longer second.

Originally I dismissed option 2 thinking I need to make more progress on day 1. However I remember it as being quite tough anyhow. Does anyone think it makes sense to do it this way?

#4962 - 07/12/04 12:48 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
Romur Offline

I dont know what your time schedule is overall but found it easier to make up distance later in the walk rather than earlier on. For instance, I walked from Hardraw to Baldersdale YH in one day and it is probably the majority of people who walk from Byrness to Kirk Yetholm in one day.

Edale to Crowden is roughish terrain and probably enough for most people on day 1. For me, if I do a really long distance one day, I am probably knackered for the next and the distance I cover is limited, so overall I am probably not doing much more mileage than if I had walked two moderate days.

#4963 - 07/12/04 04:10 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Most times I have stopped at Crowden on the first day but once I carried on to Globe Farm.The next day I reached Hebden.Previously when stopping at Crowden on the first day I got no further than Whitehouse on the second day.

It took about 12 hours to do the 26 miles from Edale to Globe Farm but my legs weren't too bad the next day and the terrain is far easier from Standedge.Walk from Whitehouse to Heden is a stroll and the last two miles are downhill.Walking from Crowden to Hebden wouldn't leave much in reserve for day three which is quite tough.

#4964 - 07/12/04 04:38 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
Tom de Sherwood Offline

Loc: Nottingham, England
Sorry to tell you, but Globe Farm stopped doing B/B as from August this year

#4965 - 08/12/04 09:03 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
latic Offline

Loc: Saddleworth,England
As Globe Farm has now shut,Suggest you try Forest Farm Guest House.Approx 0.75m off Pennine Way about 0.75m before Standedge.
You will then be close enough to hit the high spots of Marsden in the evening!
Snoopys van is open 7 days a week (though may shut Christmas Day)serving hot drinks (in pot mugs!) and monster sandwiches all at ludicrously low prices.On weekdays you will also find a snackbar at Windy Hill (just before M62)But this cannot be relied on at weekends.

#4966 - 11/12/04 07:45 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
Andy Walker Offline

Ok, Will try Forest Farm Guest house. Make for a long first day though.

Hoping to complete in about 13 days. planning to walk to lothersdale on day 3. I have walked the bit from edale to bowes once before fut a while ago. I can't remember the bit after Hebden Bridge being that hard.

Andy.

#4967 - 11/12/04 09:20 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
Romur Offline

There is a steep ascent up from Hebden Bridge with a number of ups and downs in river valleys for several miles. I did it at the end of the day and it was particularly tedious. Probably what you dont want at the beginning of a day either.

#4968 - 11/12/04 10:14 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
Andy Walker Offline

I plan to stay at Badger fields farm at the end of day 2, which is just after Hebden Bridge. Hence getting that steep bit out of the way on the end of the previous day. I am actually wondering if I have any possibility of pushing on beyond Lothersale from Badger Fields Farm. What do you think.

#4969 - 12/12/04 09:30 AM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Romur and Latic, thanks for the useful info on 'Snoopy's' - lets hope it's worth their while to stand regular! Good luck Andy.

#4970 - 12/12/04 04:05 PM Re: Accomodation For Second Night
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
The next habitation after Lothersdale is Thornton in Craven,about five miles from Lothersdale.Its quite a slog from Hebden to Lothersdale and I feel this will be more than enough considering you are doing the Edale-Hebden section in two days.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561