Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4978 - 13/12/04 11:11 PM food
andy crawford Offline

Loc: worcester england
i planning to do the pw next may should i take enough food for the whole trip or buy it on the way, any suggestions

#4979 - 14/12/04 09:17 AM Re: food
Geordie Offline

Loc: Scotland
Andy It's a few years since I did the PW, but unless things have changed for the worse you should have no problem getting food en route. If you are camping, there are plenty shops catering for the walker, and if you plan your days well you should hit a pub most lunchtimes and evenings. I camped it in March and a lot of places, including pubs, didn't open fully till after Easter, but you should have no problems in May.
By the way, how's George Dixon keeping?
(Joke for the over 50's only!)

#4980 - 14/12/04 09:38 AM Re: food
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Best to carry a couple of days food for sections where shops are thin on the ground or if its early closing day.

Work it out yourself though.If you allow say 3lb perday for food and are going to take fifteen days that equals forty five pounds on food alone!Add to that twenty pounds for other kit and you will find yourself staggering up Grindsbrook with a 65lb pack!Not recommended unless you want to jointhe SAS after you have finished.

#4981 - 14/12/04 05:46 PM Re: food
andy crawford Offline

thanks tony k i will be doing it in about 15 days from start to finish ( i hope ha ha )so i think i will pack about 5 days worth. is dryed food best.

#4982 - 14/12/04 05:47 PM Re: food
andy crawford Offline

thanks geordie cheeky i'm not over fifty yet

#4983 - 14/12/04 09:01 PM Re: food
tonyk Offline

Andy,2-3 days of food is more than enough.I have walked this route half a dozen times and have always found somewhere to purchase supplies.The last thing you want to do is carry extra weight.It is possible to carry seven days worth of freeze dried meals but whether you would want to live on this stuff for seven days is a different matter.Take a couple in case you get caught out but don't rely on this stuff for nutrition.

#4984 - 15/12/04 09:26 PM Re: food
andy crawford Offline

thanks tonyk

#4985 - 17/12/04 03:25 AM Re: food
Arial Offline

TonyK,

You are so blessedly helpful!

A friend and I are planning this walk for July/August. I'm suggesting 20 days (with 2 rest days - one in Haworth - we're both Bronte fans) and one in Northumbria at a friend's mum's house.

Having done the C2C, what should I know about this walk in particular. It's longer and has more high bits. What else?

Thanks in advance!

Renee

#4986 - 17/12/04 01:10 PM Re: food
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Hi Andy,
your body is designed perfectly for such a hunting foray! Every pound of fat you're already carrying is equal to 3500 calories!
If you plan to take a stove why not get yourself aquainted with 'just add boiling water' stuff? - (rice based is best), don't go wasting hard earned money on over-priced tasteless AFD rubbish! Re-pack portions and work out water amounts before you go. Add dried milk, sugar, xtra fruit etc. to muesli portions so you only need to add water. Use thicker grade freezer bags and weld with soldering iron or cellotape to secure your portions.
Stock up on cereal bars when you can too.
Anything to keep your pack weight down - and you'll have something to fall back on when doors are closed!

#4987 - 18/12/04 08:32 PM Re: food
tonyk Offline

Arial,in my experience the PW can be done comfortably in 15-18 days.A lot depends on how much it rains in the weeks preceding the walk.In a dry period the peat takes on the quality of a carpet and makes for easy walking but after weeks of heavy rain it turns into a quagmire.A lot of this walk has now been paved and some of the more notorious sections are now a thing of the past but its still a long hard walk that deserves respect.

The climbs are quite moderate,apart from Penyghent which is quite steep near the summit.Its also quite a slog to the top of Knock Fell and Bryness Hill but both come at the start of the day.Also avoid taking the shortcut from the summit of Cross Fell due to there being a lot of open mine shalfts on the flanks.A walker was killed here when he fell down a 200ft deep shaft.Not the most pleasant way of ending your walk.

Do you intend to camp or stay in B&B?

[This message has been edited by tonyk (edited 18 December 2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561