Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2631
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1462
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8252 Members
17 Forums
3340 Topics
34937 Posts

Max Online: 234 @ 03/05/12 11:34 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#4988 - 19/12/04 04:17 AM Re: food
Arial Offline

TonyK,

We plan on trying to stay in hostels and camping barns whenever possible, with a few B&B's thrown in wherever necessary.

I might choose to camp more often, but my friend has a hip injury and is not certain she could carry the additional weight for camping gear. Even if it's just the mental thing. I know the walk is possible. She's never done an LDW. Her nervousness wins over my whimsy.

I will be happy to a softer bed and hot cup of coffee in the morning.

Thanks for the warning on Cross Fell. Poor bloke. I have thought I wouldn't mind dying with my boots on, but I'd rather be looking up at the stars than down a mine shaft.

What are the highest summits?

#4989 - 19/12/04 09:19 PM Re: food
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Cross Fells the highest at 3000ft-also known as Fiends Fell and with good reason.The inital climb to Knock Fell is quite hard but the other summits on the way to Cross Fell are quite a stroll provided you don't get caught in gale force winds.

Penyghent is about 2200ft,Shunner 2300ft and The Cheviot 2600ft.

#4990 - 01/01/05 06:57 PM Re: food
FootSore Offline

Loc: UK
Buy food on the way; then you can buy local specialities on the way.

I carry museli for breakfast as it looks like it is meant to after a week in the sack.

Tend to carry two/three days dinner in the form of penne pasta (tubes) or similar. I know the farfell (little bows) cook 1 minute faster but they look a little suspect when camping.

Lunch tend to carry some bread/cheese/spread/ham/jam or whatever for no more than two days ahead as there are plenty of opportunites to restock.

Navigation is tougher than on the C2C, but as long as you can read a map and operate a compass then you should be OK. There are also a couple of longer days but walking is why you went!

FootSore

• C2C
  • Pennine Way
  • West Highalnd Way
  • South Downs Way
  • St Cuthberts Way
  • North Downs Way
  • Cleveland Way
  • Offa's Dyke Path
  • Hadrian's Wall
  • Dales Way
  • Cumbrian Way

#4991 - 02/01/05 04:02 AM Re: food
Arial Offline

On this topic, If staying in YHA, how often is it necessary to eat the nightly meal at the hostel? Where, in particular, is it going to be difficult to visit a pub for dinner (apart from Keld)?

#4992 - 02/01/05 10:28 PM Re: food
latic Offline

Loc: Saddleworth,England
Arial,

Not sure of you itinerary but the first night in Crowden could be a problem.Nearest pub almost 4 miles away so would recommend you book evening meal at hostel

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

Copyright The Sherpa Van Project, 29 The Green, Richmond, North Yorkshire DL10 4RG. Tel 0871 5200124 Fax (44) 01748 825561