The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50331 - 20/08/09 12:00 PM Osmotherly Car Parking?
lightweightmick Offline

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
As Lordstones has become something of a sticking point on my 5 day C2C attempts...
and as I've got a window of opportunity for Mon&Tues next week - conditions look good (light rain - 18 degs) I was thinking of attempting getting the elusive extra 6m from Lord Stones...
I can drop the car at the Western end on the NYM on my way up to the CC site at Whitby from where I can cycle down to the start at RHB. Plan is then to walk back to van (which is only a few hundred yards up the May Beck road. Next morning set off for car... as there's a good chance of the last few miles in the dark, Osmotherly is probably a better bet as it's a bit nearer to the intended destination of Scarth Moor (Beacon Hill) and easier to get to in the dark (I also have the option of limping down the Cod Beck road!)
So... is there any free, relatively secure parking in Osmotherly does anyone know?
cheers
lwm

#50332 - 20/08/09 12:02 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Osmotherley of course...

#50336 - 20/08/09 12:38 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
You could ask the owners of the campsite if you could leave your car there.

midgetarget

#50347 - 20/08/09 04:25 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: midgetarget]
lightweightmick Offline

Hi, thanks MT,
I have used this site in the past... seems a bit cheeky to drop car off then go and use a site 40m away!
I note on google satellite there are spaces near the church - is the pub central do you know? (I seem to remember you started a thread on this pub?)
There's loads of roadside parking at the 'new' start of the Lyke Wake Walk on t'other side of Cod Beck Reservoir, but it's isolated... arriving late Tues to find car on bricks won't be much fun (if it's there at all!)
cheers
mick

#50366 - 21/08/09 07:55 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Plenty of parking in Osmotherley itself. Park as close to the village as possible. ON NO ACCOUNT PARK AT Cod Beck or Scarth Nick. Regularly visited by the unwelcome elemnt from outside the park. A lone car will be vulnerable and almost certainly broken into.

#50368 - 21/08/09 11:19 AM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: slowcoach]
lightweightmick Offline

Thanks sc - that was my thinking. They know walkers will be gone for hours... I've seen the police doing slow driveby's on that road in the past and taken this to be a bad sign! I've been stung before like this before but (luckily) only returned to find all the tyres let down...

#50669 - 01/09/09 12:36 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Offline

Successful trip!
No car parks as such in Osmotherley. Parked on main street nr pub without causing inconvenience to locals. Set off via Guisborough for Whitby.
After siting van at Low Moor, took bike to RHB and started at 6pm (earlier st for moor crossing) - arrived van 8.15. Collected bike with time left for chip supper as the chippy is open till 9! Though cold by time I got van back to site...
Set off next am at 6am arr Osmotherly 10.30 (needed head torch from Sheepwash Bank - a pig to descend in the dark!) Did use Quarry Rd (past Cod Beck) after all.
Later than expected but had a few hold-ups...
Conditions cooler than June attempt but felt that the Superglue trial went well...
not much time here - will post more later,
cheers
lwm

#50794 - 05/09/09 03:02 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Hi Mick,
Glad you had success on the early sections during your recent recce. Waiting to hear more details.
Dave.

#50802 - 06/09/09 12:47 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]
lightweightmick Offline

Hi Dave,
Busy busy here - somewhat stressful too. I'm really looking fwd to escaping to do the next section and also wondering how safe the car would be dropped at Surrender Bridge if I sited the van at the Cote Ghyl site in Osmotherley...
The test has run out on the Panda I use everyday and tow as support vehicle. I've just got the other (older) Panda back tested and am Waxoyling the newly welded repaired sill sections. I stripped out all the insulation and seats etc. and so need to get it all back together for work next week!
The Panda has been a good workhorse and at around 700kg is light enough to tow but unfortunatley both have got to the welding stage!
cheers
mick
So I'm doing the 2 day write up as and when I can fit it in

#50826 - 07/09/09 05:58 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
LizzieS. Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
Hi Dave,
Busy busy here - somewhat stressful too. I'm really looking fwd to escaping to do the next section and also wondering how safe the car would be dropped at Surrender Bridge if I sited the van at the Cote Ghyl site in Osmotherley...
The test has run out on the Panda I use everyday and tow as support vehicle. I've just got the other (older) Panda back tested and am Waxoyling the newly welded repaired sill sections. I stripped out all the insulation and seats etc. and so need to get it all back together for work next week!
The Panda has been a good workhorse and at around 700kg is light enough to tow but unfortunatley both have got to the welding stage!
cheers
mick
So I'm doing the 2 day write up as and when I can fit it in

Just wondering - but what on earth is a "Panda"?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917