The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51491 - 04/10/09 11:32 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
lightweightmick Online   confused

Loc: North Derbyshire UK
Somehow got onto the A19 yesterday morning and started from Ingleby Arncliffe at dawn. The phone alarm didn't go off though the watch alarm had actually woke me up but I dozed waiting for the 'wailing bitch' who never wailed... took about an hour to drive to start with a coffee stop recce enroute for support(between Whitwell and Streetlam) - she not good with map reading... but she miraculously appeared when needed!
Arrived Surrender to anxious support after dark but not too far off schedule (lost path in fading light)
Going was hard fighting wind most of day (and underfoot) but felt that Superglue worked again. No problems with route finding (though did miss footpath turning after Danby Wiske to Streetlam)
Still think this would be a tough day after covering Day1 though... at least the wind kept the rain off!

#51497 - 05/10/09 03:15 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
So when the next attempt Mick? Tell you what, I'll set off from St Bee's at the same time you set off from RHB, both on a 5 day attempt. That way you will have to keep going, at least until we meet roughly halfway, then its all down hill, or going your way, uphill.
Dave.

#51507 - 05/10/09 09:30 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]

It definitely makes a difference if you've got something positive to aim for. My half-way point falls between Gunnerside Gill and Swinner Gill (just where the track to Rogan's Seat joins the route) nearly 6m from Cringley Bottom. Thinking is to get more in while legs are fresh... having said that, battling against the wind on Saturday made me wonder at times if it would still be possible having covered the NYM the day before. And yes it would certainly seem uphill if those conditions continued day after day!
If I could make Shap on the next leg it would leave 2 'shorter' days through the Lakes, which would be desirable on shot legs with the harsh descents (this is remembering how I felt on the '06 attempt)...
May has been wet... June too warm... so maybe end of April?
ha ha, I really don't know Dave...
cheers
mick

#51509 - 05/10/09 10:05 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]

I did try a video... but I'll never make a producer!
I'd just gone over on my ankle... but you can harldy hear above the wind!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcPRVeEBOE
this is approaching Colburn
cheers
lwm

#51518 - 06/10/09 03:08 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: lightweightmick
I did try a video... but I'll never make a producer!
I'd just gone over on my ankle... but you can harldy hear above the wind!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpcPRVeEBOE
this is approaching Colburn
cheers
lwm

If he could do this for the whole 190 miles it might save us all the bother of putting on our boots and getting out in the cold.

#51526 - 06/10/09 08:35 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Lounge Lizard]

I'm thinking of signing JuliaB to make 'em a bit more interesting... ha ha.
here's one I made earlier...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY795t2eA3g

#51637 - 12/10/09 10:49 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]

Good to see that Needle Sports have spares for the Petzl Zoom!

#51644 - 13/10/09 07:20 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Hi Mick,
Ive video'd several walks including the Dales Way, West Highland Way, and many day walks and scrambles in Cumbria and Scotland. However when I'm on a mission, ie. a non stopper, I no longer take the camera with me. I found I was losing too much time stopping to take shots of views even though like your video, most was done on the move.
Hows the fitness going. Im still not running because of this groin/hip thing, but I did 40 miles on the mountain bike one day last week, and 51 miles on my road ike a couple of days later. As a result the legs are feeling more like they used to. I will have to work on the aerobics though.
Dave.
By the way, that 51 miler - on the southern loop of the Lancashire Cycleway. Many juctions and a few roundabouts, althopugh no problems this time. Coming up short of 50 nearer home I added a loop of Buckshaw village to make it over 51. Pulled off the A49 into our estate, turned right then a smooth left onto out drive. Unclipped my left shoe from the SPD pedal, braked and came to a stop just in front of my van - then promptly wobbled and fell over to the right. It incredible how you cant unclip your shoe when you most need to, but as soon as you hit the ground, it releases. Sore elbow and hip bone and gave my head such a crack on the concrete, I had double vision for about a minute. Fortunately, I was wearing my helmet. Goes to show that, unlike when walking, when cycling, you just cant afford to switch off.

#51648 - 13/10/09 09:35 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: Slogger]

Well I'm not as fit as I could be (or as I'll need to be for next yrs attempt...) but fit enough, I hope(?), to get from Surrender to Shap on Saturday... still negotiating with the support ha ha...
Yeah, surprising how taking pics slows you down. Nothing arty - just the phone camera now. For some reason only the vids stored on the card - all else for the weekend was lost... no idea why.
Bikes are dangerous things these days... pecking order among road users is rock bottom - as we've noted before. More so as we've more than not been in the car on the same day and expect the same rights... no no.
Tch, can't believe how stupidly fast I went down the hill to Fylingthorpe to Robin Hood's Bay either... no helmet - would have been curtains if I'd come off...
Ha ha - I like it... I've done it - I'd been working on the bike years back and took it for a spin - got to the end of the road and stood on pedals to get out onto main road when back wheel skewed and locked against frame - with feet in the toe clips I just keeled over sideways. Luckily not into the path of an oncoming car! Can't have tightened up the rear wheel nuts tight enough... doh. I double checked 'em after that!
We've got to be more organised this weekend (got to be this w/end as last chance before clocks go back) to get to Surrender at 6 - even then it'll be dark after Orton - I'll probably keep to the road from Oddendale as I'll probably lose the path near the quarry... and that chippy in Shap don't open late if I remember,
cheers
mick

#51656 - 14/10/09 04:04 PM Re: Osmotherly Car Parking? [Re: lightweightmick]
Slogger Offline

Best of luck.
Dave.

Page 3 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 15 16 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917