The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2884
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35939 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#60681 - 09/04/11 07:00 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: slowcoach]
flatlands Offline

I'm cycling the Coast to Coast from St. Bees to Robin Hood's Bay and that alone would be good as any. I've done the Coast to Coast walk now 6 times and probably time for a change.

If, I go for the Cleveland Way c/w Tabular Hills Walk, then I will start & finish at Saltburn by the Sea. I may fancy doing the walk, anti-clockwise, which would be different.

#60684 - 10/04/11 06:31 AM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
The Horseshoes at Levisham is now (very) walker friendly, good ale but a tad too expensive for a casual meal (great for an evening one though). The Saltersgate Inn is still closed. Chequers appears to have stopped being a tea room, unless the new owner has decided to reopen it.

#60685 - 10/04/11 12:59 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: slowcoach]
flatlands Offline

If, I decide on the Cleveland Way, which is looking very likely. I'm seeking out any basic camp sites on the Tabular Hills Walk section, does the Horseshoe Inn still permit camping, I need a camp site in the Hutton le Hole area. The rest of the Cleveland Way, I know of camp sites on the way.

#60689 - 10/04/11 06:00 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

The previous owner of the Horseshoes tried to turn it into a country hotel. In the process his wife acquired her own webpage populated by aggrieved patrons who gave some of the most biting comments imaginable. It was made quite clear that walkers, cyclists, motorcyclists. locals, dogwalkers etc etc were not welcome and, consequently, he lost all his trade. The camping site was one of the earliest casualties.

The new owners are walker friendly and have created a heated patio for walkers to sit on if they wish to stay outside (the area outside around the flag is again available too). Sadly, the camp site is now a carpark.

The alternatives.

The Steads at Fairfield Farm have a camping field available. No facilities at all (no toilets washing facilities etc) Accessible from Farwath by a good track. Close to the Fox and Rabbit for meals.

There is a basic site (toilet and shower) behind High Horcum Farm
Accessible from the path down Dundale Griff turning right up the slant track before Low Horcum (6 a night last year)

Marfitt Head has a full facility (in terms of a toilet and wash block) site half a mile further north west of the road. (10 last year).

Hutton is far more problematic.

#60690 - 10/04/11 06:08 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: flatlands]
slowcoach Offline

The previous owner of the Horseshoes tried to turn it into a country hotel. In the process his wife acquired her own webpage populated by aggrieved patrons who gave some of the most biting comments imaginable. It was made quite clear that walkers, cyclists, motorcyclists. locals, dogwalkers etc etc were not welcome and, consequently, he lost all his trade. The camping site was one of the earliest casualties.

The new owners are walker friendly and have created a heated patio for walkers to sit on if they wish to stay outside (the area outside around the flag is again available too). Sadly, the camp site is now a carpark.

The alternatives.

The Steads at Fairfield Farm have a camping field available. No facilities at all (no toilets washing facilities etc) Accessible from Farwath by a good track. Close to the Fox and Rabbit for meals.

There is a basic site (toilet and shower) behind High Horcum Farm
Accessible from the path down Dundale Griff turning right up the slant track before Low Horcum (6 a night last year)

Marfitt Head has a full facility (in terms of a toilet and wash block) site half a mile further north west of the road. (10 last year).

Hutton is far more problematic. The Stricklands have a site at Westfield Farm just south of the village, probably the best bet. Google it and see what you think.

Other than that you have a long detour to find a site around Hutton. There is a small caravan site behind the old garage. I have not seen tents on it, but it might just take you. I don't think it has any facilities but there is a pub and a loo in the village. The owner is called Woods. The local TIC based in the Rydale Folk Museum will give you his number if you call them.

Hope this helps.

#60691 - 10/04/11 06:11 PM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: slowcoach]
slowcoach Offline

The double entry explains why my computer stopped working. I must have pressed submit by mistake! It's been a long, hot day.

#60707 - 11/04/11 12:58 AM Re: Cleveland Way 2010 [Re: slowcoach]
flatlands Offline

Cheers for that info, SC. I will look into the Steads and High Horcum farm. Stricklands, I will do a Google. Guess, it will be pot luck on the day. But, hey thanks for the info given, you are a gem. wink

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917