The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1690
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
35984 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50437 - 23/08/09 04:10 PM Suggested itinerary?
KatC Offline

My husband and I have recently finished the Dales Way and are planning to walk the WHW sometime soon. We will have about 12-14 days and will be carrying all our camping stuff. Does anyone have a good suggestion for an itinerary. We can manage 14 miles quite easily with the packs and like to do some wild camping too. Any help gratefully received!

Thanks.

#50444 - 23/08/09 07:52 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: KatC]
Slogger Online   content

Loc: West Lancs.
7 days at 14 mile a day will get you through to the end although some days will be longer than others. At that rate you include a day to summit Ben Lomond and another to summit Ben Nevis after youve arrived in Fort William, or perhaps you could carry on and include the Great Glen Way from Fort William to Inverness.
Dave.

#51072 - 19/09/09 10:25 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: Slogger]
landryrk Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
When doing preliminary planning for my walks, I usually use the Sherpavan planning guides as a template, such as Sherpavan's suggested stages below. Then, you can design your own itinerary. Stage 4 is short but you'll need the rest after stage 3.

Stage 1: Milngavie to Drymen 12 miles
Stage 2: Drymen to Rowardennan 14 miles
Stage 3: Rowardennan to Inverarnan (14 miles)
Stage 4: Inverarnan to Crianlarich (6.5 miles)
Stage 5: Crianlarich to Bridge Of Orchy (13 miles)
Stage 6: Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse (12 miles)
Stage 7: Kingshouse to Kinlochleven (9 miles)
Stage 8: Kinlochleven to Fort William (14 miles)

C2C September 2004
Cotswolds Way May-June 2006
Dingle Way August-September 2007
Hadrian's Wall September 2009
Essex Way April 2013

#52735 - 08/12/09 11:06 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: landryrk]
sydpuddiefoot Offline

Hi,
We are intending to do the WHW next year and are currently trying to plan routes and research accomodations and there appears to be plenty of information online but one question I've not really seen yet is how to return home.

So how did you return to base ?? Get a friend to meet you at Fort William, use a bus service, is there a train service that can be used ??

Thanks.

#52736 - 09/12/09 02:52 AM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: sydpuddiefoot]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Other than a friend pickup, the easiest way is the train to Glasgow, then another to Carlisle and points south. If going to London, there is an overnight train from Fort William that is an extremely comfortable option. Check your train booking sites.

#52745 - 09/12/09 12:03 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: Gregg]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Travelling from Fort William the train is the by far the best option, comfortable, about four leaving each day and it's a lovely scenic journey.
Further details are on
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

#52753 - 09/12/09 04:28 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Travelling from Fort William the train is the by far the best option, comfortable, about four leaving each day and it's a lovely scenic journey.
Further details are on
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Absolutely right!
Some 4 hours of wonderful scenery, including stretches beside the WHW itself.
You alight (isn't that a wonderfully old-fashioned expression?)at Glasgow's Queen Street station, from where trains depart to Edinburgh, and only a few yards from Buchanan Street Bus station, where National Express coaches and Citylink coaches come and go.
Should your onward journey take you to Glasgow's Central station, it is only a 10-minute stroll with no steep gradients and you will be so fit that it will be over in no time.

#52758 - 09/12/09 08:27 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: Stottie]
sydpuddiefoot Offline

Thanks peeps, I'll check out the trains to Queen street as my wife said that will be right when I asked her if she was picking us up at Fort William, as I said I'm a newbie to the WHW and walking for that matter and as Arnie said 'I'll be back' for more information later.

It's appreciated......

#60873 - 19/04/11 08:10 PM Re: Suggested itinerary? [Re: sydpuddiefoot]
Vextasy Offline

I wish I'd caught the train. We caught the bus back to Glasgow and it was the low point of the whole week.

http://vextasy.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/notes-from-the-west-highland-way/

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917