The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50470 - 24/08/09 03:28 PM BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence
Daphne Offline

Hey all. Just got zapped by an electric fence next to a stile. It was on the first few fields after crossing the M6 at Lambrigg Head (page 36 of Gemmel and Speakman's The Dales Way route guide.) Had turned left past the barn, walked down the lane, turned right onto the paddocks. Things went pear shaped quickly - got stuck up to my knees in the mud approaching the stile. It was in the second or third paddock after turning off the lane, and just before stepping down into the Holme Park entrance, that I reached for balance in crossing the stile and got zapped. Couldn't understand why the electric wire was there - it was at the top of an existing fence, and right next to the stile.

Also, take care after Beckfoot, as the path is badly waywarked. A lot of time can be wasted way finding.

Fortunately, I'd booked a night at the Jolly Anglers in Burneside. The friendly welcome and hospitality there soon made up for the tiresome experience. Highly recommend staying here - very welcoming for walkers.

#50473 - 24/08/09 04:09 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Daphne]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
I've never known electric fences to give more than a slight shock and doubt if they could be any real danger to a human.
I heard of someone who always tried to wild camp adjacent to an electric fence and then connect his light, kettle and other such devices for a more civilised nights stop.

#50478 - 24/08/09 09:53 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Lounge Lizard]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
I've never known electric fences to give more than a slight shock and doubt if they could be any real danger to a human.
I heard of someone who always tried to wild camp adjacent to an electric fence and then connect his light, kettle and other such devices for a more civilised nights stop.

L.L.
I think some one has been having you on about camping next to an electric fence, they are only 12 volt and then it is on and off all the time, or are you pulling our leg's

#50488 - 25/08/09 11:41 AM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: tim smith]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
I remember years ago when walking the Ribble Way with a small group. It was raining and we had to cross a stile with an electric fence. As the wire crossed the style it was protected by a rubber sleeve. I accidently touched the wire and nothing happened. I suggested to the others that it was switched off and tentatively gradually held the wire between finger and thumb. Nothing then, ZAP! It fair made me jump I can tell you, and I have never wanted to repeat it since.
Dave.

#50490 - 25/08/09 02:39 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: tim smith]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: tim smith
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard

L.L.
I think some one has been having you on about camping next to an electric fence, they are only 12 volt and then it is on and off all the time, or are you pulling our leg's

Yes, it's probably one of those good old Rural Myths that once told often enough is believe by everyone and eventually becomes part of Britain's rich folklore.

#50515 - 26/08/09 10:16 AM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Daphne]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Thanks for the tip Daphne, heading off in about 10 days and I do not want to get zapped!

#50517 - 26/08/09 11:28 AM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Calluna]
Daphne Offline

True, the fence won't do serious damage, but the impact of the zap depends entirely on how hard the day's walk has been. And I'd had a hard day and was fed up. The impression I'd received at the Cumbria end of the trail was that walkers are not welcome in that part of the countryside. Waymarking was obscured or vague, and electric fences were put on top of other fences at stiles. There was already an existing, solid fence there. The electric wire was placed on top of it, right where a walker's hand would reach for it while stabilising while sinking in mud. I'd initially wondered about the kind of dangerous animal that they had in the next field that needed such fencing in. Compare my description of where this happened with the announcements on the Dales Way Organisation site about incidents of loose dogs. I didn't come across any loose dogs, but I did come across an electric fence. Have since heard tell of tractors being placed in the way to block the route as well. Reflecting on it all, I heartily encourage as many people as possible to walk this route, in fact, am tempted to do that one particular leg myself every weekend now. But would also just warn those doing it to watch out for nuisance factors like electric fences.

#50529 - 26/08/09 07:18 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Daphne]
tim smith Offline

Originally Posted By: Daphne
,"" I heartily encourage as many people as possible to walk this route, in fact, am tempted to do that one particular leg myself every weekend now. But would also just warn those doing it to watch out for nuisance factors like electric fences."

A better idea would be to write to the Borough council and report the exact location of these infringements.
if we all reported such things it would soon get these problems sorted.

#50530 - 26/08/09 07:20 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

or County Council

#50560 - 27/08/09 08:14 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: tim smith]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Not discounting anyone elses experience of the Dales Way but having walked the route 7 or 8 times I not encountered any of the problems mentioned and the many locals I have met in the section mentioned, farmers and all, have always been welcoming and happy to chat. Reason for wire on top of wooden fences and stone walls - have you ever seen how agile those sheep are, without a detterent they would be over as easy as that.
Dave.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917