The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51224 - 24/09/09 03:52 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: SteveInLeicester]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
"and there are electric fences all over the country, waiting to zap anyone not taking enough care"+ - that's right, and you're probably less likely to get a shock on the Dales way than from a police tazar just walking through Wigan town centre on a Saturday night - we must just try to keep everything in perspective.

#51227 - 24/09/09 04:31 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: SteveInLeicester]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Yes Calluna I do realise you were just giving it, as it was for you on the route. I did attempt it the other way round as a non stopper, but abandoned it just after Kettlewell after walking all the previous day and all night in continueous rain. The weather certainly can make a big difference to the feel of a route. As for those dry, rock hard, cattle rutted, fields, as Steve says, they are not good for the feet.
Dave.

#51649 - 13/10/09 09:37 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Slogger]
Daphne Offline

Hey all, I've just come back to this post after a wee trek in Vietnam. I don't think anyone was trying to make the Dales Way sound negative with the talk about the electric fence. I certainly enjoyed my time walking it, but agree with Calluna that the Burnsall - Buckden legs are the prettiest. Though I'd also add in a vote for the bits around Sedbergh. I'd advise people to try and shorten that leg, and take it slow and enjoy the scenery there. I think one of the problems with that leg is that it is too long to really appreciate the scenery. The nuisances of the mud and the electric fence wouldn't have been so great if I hadn't been racing the clock.

All I was trying to do with the original post was highlight ONE spot on the Sedbergh - Burneside leg where one farmer has put up an electric fence in a place walkers are likely to tangle with it.

#51657 - 14/10/09 04:20 PM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Daphne]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Daphne,
Right thanks for that, sorry I misunderstood. If that electric fence does interfere with a walkers right of passage, I would report it to the local areas 'Right of Way' officer, who will check it out.
I have reported the owner of a house where a ROW passes through his garden for allowing an angry Alsasian to roam around loose and terrify walkers as they pass through. He was told to keep it under control.
On another occasion I reported a farmer for piling large stones on top of the wall stile, making it very difficult to get over. His excuse was that the livestock had been using it to get into the next field. He was made to remove the stones and advised to fit a small spring loaded gate instead.
Weve got to protect our Rights of Way with enthusiasm.
Dave.

#51664 - 15/10/09 07:18 AM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Slogger]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
I wouldn't want an electric fence interfering with my passage.

#51676 - 16/10/09 05:48 AM Re: BeckFoot - Grayrigg: beware the electric fence [Re: Kate's Dad]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
This time of year (or perhaps a month ago) is particularly marked by farmers ploughing up rights of way - I've come across a number of a number of trails down in the Cotswolds where I do most of my walking which are just acres of mud - OK just recently because there hasn't been a lot of rain, but never easy to walk across and not helpful with navigation. Not sure what the big deal is the farmers - all they need to do is run their tractor across where the path should be after they've ploughed. Their failure to do so tends to mean that walkers will walk all over their fields. I always mean to report these things when I get back but then I forget to.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917