The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36018 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#50681 - 02/09/09 11:12 AM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Daphne]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Thanks for all the info Daphne - glad you had a great walk.

Me thinks there will be a fair amount of mud after the weather we've had up North recently eek

Really looking forward to it now, just been out and bought my last bits and pieces, will start packing tomorrow. Would be great if I get chance to chat to fellow walkers and maybe even share a beer in the pubs at night. Eating on my own is what I am not looking forward to - it always looks a bit strange when a woman is on her own in a pub.

#50685 - 02/09/09 12:24 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
Originally Posted By: Calluna
Thanks for all the info Daphne - glad you had a great walk.

Me thinks there will be a fair amount of mud after the weather we've had up North recently eek

Really looking forward to it now, just been out and bought my last bits and pieces, will start packing tomorrow. Would be great if I get chance to chat to fellow walkers and maybe even share a beer in the pubs at night. Eating on my own is what I am not looking forward to - it always looks a bit strange when a woman is on her own in a pub.

It doesn't look strange! Just take a map or guidebook in with you and then likeminded people will no doubt sit down and have a chat - you may regret that!
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#50700 - 02/09/09 04:57 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Eating on my own is what I am not looking forward to - it always looks a bit strange when a woman is on her own in a pub.

It can seem a little strange sometimes (probably for men and women), but because I tend to like walking on my own, I do it all the time - and I suspect a lot of people on this site do as well (although I'm male not female). Various thoughts/suggestions:

a) if you want company - as Harland has suggested - making it obvious that you are a walker will often get you the attention of other walkers - although that may or may not be the best thing

b) if you stop at YHA's, you're very likely to come across fellow walkers with whom you can go to the pub (if you want to)

c) if you don't particularly want company or the particular company on offer - I tend to make make sure I have a good book to read

d) and if all that fails, although I regret this sounds a bit sad - I reassure myself by looking at the couples eating in the place - who generally haven't got anything to say to each other. I'd much rather be on my own with a good book than be alone with someone who I haven't got anything to say.

#50702 - 02/09/09 05:11 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
Eating on my own is what I am not looking forward to - it always looks a bit strange when a woman is on her own in a pub.

It can seem a little strange sometimes (probably for men and women), but because I tend to like walking on my own, I do it all the time - and I suspect a lot of people on this site do as well (although I'm male not female). Various thoughts/suggestions:

a) if you want company - as Harland has suggested - making it obvious that you are a walker will often get you the attention of other walkers - although that may or may not be the best thing

b) if you stop at YHA's, you're very likely to come across fellow walkers with whom you can go to the pub (if you want to)

c) if you don't particularly want company or the particular company on offer - I tend to make make sure I have a good book to read

d) and if all that fails, although I regret this sounds a bit sad - I reassure myself by looking at the couples eating in the place - who generally haven't got anything to say to each other. I'd much rather be on my own with a good book than be alone with someone who I haven't got anything to say.

(b) is a good idea, and regarding (d) most couples eating together look as if they would rather be alone or with someone else.

#50722 - 03/09/09 02:22 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Calluna Offline

Loc: Wirral
Will probably follow guidline (a) although (d) is very true smirk

After all the rain we have had up north - beginning to consider packing a canoe for the walk to Burnsall. And if you see what looks like a mud-wrestler on the path - don't get too excited lads it will just be me grin

#50723 - 03/09/09 02:45 PM Re: Walking September 2009 [Re: Calluna]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
Will probably follow guidline (a) although (d) is very true smirk

After all the rain we have had up north - beginning to consider packing a canoe for the walk to Burnsall. And if you see what looks like a mud-wrestler on the path - don't get too excited lads it will just be me grin

Calluna
Many a true word spoken in gest!
When I walked Burnsall to Ilkley a few years ago the riverside path between Appletreewick and Barden Bridge was under water (I waded through, being without canoe) and there was water in the fields on the west side of the river at the A59 crossing.
So if you have to take to the road between Barden Br and Burnsall, stay on the east side of the river where it's much safer walking. Too much traffic on the main road and no footpath, and too much uphill also.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917