The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5092 - 22/05/06 05:16 PM Byrness
Steve N Offline

Hello everyone. Doing Pennine Way 30 June to 17 July and can't wait.
Noticed some adverse comment about Byrness hotel, which we're booked in to. We were planning to have eve meal there and get packed lunch. Would appreciate any recent feedback (I think the comments I read were from a couple of years ago). Is there anywhere else to eat?

#5093 - 22/05/06 05:42 PM Re: Byrness
AndyWalker Offline

I believe I have posted on the subject in the past, but my experience was of around 2 years ago. I believe that the place is still under the same managment now as it was then and is still the same. I would also be interested to hear opf more recent experiences as I am planning to walk the nothern section of the PW later this year and am still to book accomodation.

I think I would say if you plan to stay there just dont expect too much of the place and you will be fine. Be patient when waiting for service and think twice about getting the packed lunch(expensive and doesnt exactly set you up for a day on the cheviots). I belive there was a flea problem when I was there, I was bitten all over.

The problem is in Byrness is the lack of alternatives. I have spoken to many people in the past who spoke about a really nice
B and B in the centre of Byrness. I have had no luck in finding contact details for such a place and have come to the conclusion that its no longer open.

There is a YHA near the hotel, but I have never stayed there so can't comment further.

There is a camping/caravan site in cottonshopeburnfoot (just before Byrness) who claim to do B and B but I have not tried to book.

These are the only possible alternatives to the hotel.

You may be interested to know that there is a petrol station opposite the Byrness Hotel that have ample stock for a packed lunch, they have a cafe as well but I am unsure of the opening times.

Hope thats some help.
Andy

#5094 - 22/05/06 09:02 PM Re: Byrness
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Try the Youth Hostel at 7 Otterburn Green, Bryness, 0870 770 5740 ( bookings more than 7 days ahead 0870 770 8868 ).

#5095 - 22/05/06 10:25 PM Re: Byrness
John B Offline

Loc: Lancashire
Hi Steve N
Stopping in the Byrness on the 12 june , will give you feed back when i get back home. will be back before you start.

#5096 - 23/05/06 09:26 AM Re: Byrness
Graisg Offline

Loc: UK
In 2004 I stayed at the YH and no complaints,going North to South. Keep the windows shut to stop the midges getting you though. There is only the cafe or the pub/hotel in Byrness, although I beleive you can sometimes buy odd bits and pieces at the camp site. So you might want to consider buying some extra food in Bellingham.
Last year I left Bellingham early and headed for Byrness, had some nosh in the cafe and headed up to the first hut for the night. Not an ideal programme for everyone but if you feel up to it by the time you get to Byrness it can be done. Have to admit I was well knackered but there was a fantastic sunset to be enjoyed.

#5097 - 23/05/06 12:27 PM Re: Byrness
GANTY Offline

Loc: Lincoln England
We finished pennine way on sunday 21st May and stayed at Byrness Hotel and I have to say
it was the B & B from hell. The worst experience of the whole 19 days.

#5098 - 23/05/06 12:31 PM Re: Byrness
John B Offline

Loc: Lancashire
ganty

Please tell me more about Byrness???

#5099 - 23/05/06 01:08 PM Re: Byrness
AndyWalker Offline

Ganty,

Nice to see that the place is the same as when I stayed there 2 years ago.!!!!!

Andy

#5100 - 23/05/06 01:46 PM Re: Byrness
Steve N Offline

Thanks so far for the useful feedback/ideas. Ganty, like John B I'm keen to hear more!

#5101 - 23/05/06 02:20 PM Re: Byrness
GANTY Offline

Loc: Lincoln England
We arrived on a fairly oold day and boots were wet. The heating was not on and even though we were told the boots would be put to dry they were still in the same place the following morning and gloves which had been taken to dry were still soaking wet the next day. There was nowhere to hang anything in the gloomy cold rooms. The spag bol served in the evening was dreadful and three of the party could not stomach the breakfast next day. The double bed had a protruding spring which made a good nights sleep impossible. Every other place was superb and here is where we stayed

Old House
New Barn Diggle
Badgerfields
Pondon House
Drumlins, East Marton
Eastwood House, Malaham
The Knoll, Horton
Hawes YHA
Butt House, Keld
Baldersdale YHA
Langdon Beck YHA
Dufton YHA
Eastview, Garrigill
GreenHead Hotel
Saughy Rigg Farm, Twice Brewed
Lyndale Guest House, Bellingham
The Byrness
Valleydene Kirk Yetholme 2 Nights

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917