The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5102 - 23/05/06 05:16 PM Re: Byrness
Onslow2 Offline

How did you find the Greenhead Hotel.

It was run by the nicest and most helpfull couple in all of England.

#5103 - 23/05/06 05:45 PM Re: Byrness
GANTY Offline

Loc: Lincoln England
Greenhead was good. Sandra really sorted us out (if you read this Sandra thanks again).
Boots went into the boiler room nice large rooms, good tasty bar meal and nice breakfast. A nice warm welcome.

#5104 - 23/05/06 06:27 PM Re: Byrness
AndyWalker Offline

Out of the places Ganty mentions I have stayed at:
Old House
New Barn Diggle
Badgerfields
Pondon House
Eastwood House, Malaham
The Knoll, Horton
Saughy Rigg Farm, Twice Brewed
Lyndale Guest House, Bellingham
The Byrness
Valleydene Kirk Yetholme

There are many that I would recommend and would stay at again, however there are 2 that stick in my mind as being outstanding.
1. The old House - just before Crowden.
2. Badgerfields Farm - Just after Hebden Bridge.
Old excellent places and very nice people.
Anyone who is about to book accomodation, make sure you try to get these ones in.

Andy

#5105 - 23/05/06 07:10 PM Re: Byrness
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Sadly, just whinging about the Bryness Hotel here isn't going to change things. Is anyone that's suffered a night there prepared to take the comments here up with the owner, complain to the local authority or take more drastic action ?

#5106 - 24/05/06 02:41 PM Re: Byrness
tomread Offline

Hmmm. Me and my son are booked in at the Byrness Hotel. Please somebody post a message saying that it's not as bad as described! Oh well, all part of the adventure I guess.

Anyone been to Osmotherley YH? Staying there a couple of nights with my lads next week for some walking on the North Yorkshire Moors. Any comments? How far/safe is the walk to the local pub? Does the hostel sell beer, or just licensed for residents to sup their own?

#5107 - 25/05/06 01:03 PM Re: Byrness
tomread Offline

Toying with the idea of copying the contents of this thread and forwarding to the BH for their "information", ahead of my stay there in August. But reluctant to do anything that could cause nothing other than a frosty reception. Time well tell I guess. At least we have the twin room booked, so hopefully will avoid the spring in the double bed! What exactly was wrong with the spag bol? Those that "couldn't stomach" breakfast, was it because of not liking the spag bol, or actually because of tummy upset?

#5108 - 25/05/06 02:50 PM Re: Byrness
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
tom read,
What makes you think that only the double beds have protruding springs ?

#5109 - 25/05/06 03:58 PM Re: Byrness
kevm Offline

Loc: Sheffield, South Yorkshire,UK
I stayed there last year and thought it was fine. It's very old fashioned and not very well organised (eg they forgot to ask me to pay for beer and food and I had to tell them I hadn't paid) but the twin room, separate shower, breakfast and packed lunch were all OK and the evening meal was pretty good. As one of the other guests said, it was a bit Fawlty Towers-ish but no real problems. I wouldn't worry about it, it'll be OK. Also, of course, there aren't really many other options in Byrness.

#5110 - 26/05/06 09:59 AM Re: Byrness
tomread Offline

Thanks for that Kev. At least now I won't be suffering sleepless nights ahead of Byrness, even if I suffer one at Byrness!

I have the constitution of an ox where food is concerned - I can eat anything without ill effects - and I sleep very deeply, more than a few springs could stop.

Looking forward to it!

#5111 - 26/05/06 11:27 AM Re: Byrness
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by tomread:
Hmmm. Me and my son are booked in at the Byrness Hotel. Please somebody post a message saying that it's not as bad as described! Oh well, all part of the adventure I guess.

Anyone been to Osmotherley YH? Staying there a couple of nights with my lads next week for some walking on the North Yorkshire Moors. Any comments? How far/safe is the walk to the local pub? Does the hostel sell beer, or just licensed for residents to sup their own?

I stayed at the campsite next to the hostel last year.From what people said the hostel was pretty good.The pubs are about half a mile away down a steep hill.Easy going down but hard when you come back!No problems with safety though.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917