The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1695
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3453 Topics
36015 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51144 - 22/09/09 07:56 AM Re: wild camping ! [Re: SteveInLeicester]
Black Sailor Offline

Agree with Steve about not taking too tiny a tent. You can pay a lot of money for a tent, but I don't think you really need to. As well as the above suggestions from Steve, you could look at this, from Decathlon: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/t2-ultralight-pro-3244110/

It sleeps two (if you're good friends!), is double skin, weighs 2 kg and costs 80.

#51161 - 22/09/09 08:24 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: Black Sailor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Geo,
Yes I agree that exactly why I havent gone along the tarp and Bivvy Bag route. Solo tents are so light these days it just doesnt seem worth it.
Plodder I know what you mean about comfort, but to be honest when on an LDP, to me the tent is just for shelter for a short period each night, so comfort is not that important to me. My narrow solo tent has all the room I need at 1.4 kilo's.
Dave.

#51204 - 23/09/09 08:30 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: daubechie]
markydrive Offline

Loc: Oxford UK
Originally Posted By: daubechie
there are probably 40 people every day walking with you on the C2C so you'd have to work hard to get off the beaten track!
Actually, you'll likely make friends with some of those 40 people and it's nice to have someone to talk to of an evening about the days behind and in front.

OMG that sinsle comment nearly put me off doing the walk all together...
the thought of seeing the same people day after day, then wakeing in the morning and seeing the same tents and faces AGAIN, would drive me mad....
please dont get me wrong, im no Victor Melldrew... Im not a "grumpy old man", but the whole idea of this trip is to have 2 weeks alone with my tent and my diary....
at least one decision has been made, its wild camping all the way....

PS.
i think i may have found my new tent.
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/coleman_bedrock_2_tent_2009__2919

#51209 - 24/09/09 07:35 AM Re: wild camping ! [Re: markydrive]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
If you really fancy "2 weeks alone with my tent and diary" why not try the Pennine Way. We did it in 14 days and after the Peak District hardly saw anyone else.

#51214 - 24/09/09 12:18 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: Kate's Dad]
SteveInLeicester Offline

Loc: Leicester
I haven't yet done the Pennine Way, but I've done the C2C, and even before all the recent TV publicity, care of Ms Bradbury, you won't be alone with your tent for 2 days, let alone 2 weeks. The only saving grace is that, by wild camping, you will stagger you won't have to follow the 'standard' 12/13 day itinerary. You'll still see many faces everyday, just not the same ones! As for the tent, I'd look for a few reviews before buying. Isn't the Bedrock discontinued already? Might explain the price. Also it pitches inner first - as the blurb says, great when it's good weather. Shame good weather and the C2C aren't synonymous.

#51217 - 24/09/09 01:24 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: markydrive]
mickey Offline

Originally Posted By: markydrive

OMG that sinsle comment nearly put me off doing the walk all together...
the thought of seeing the same people day after day, then wakeing in the morning and seeing the same tents and faces AGAIN, would drive me mad....
please dont get me wrong, im no Victor Melldrew... Im not a "grumpy old man", but the whole idea of this trip is to have 2 weeks alone with my tent and my diary....
at least one decision has been made, its wild camping all the way....

PS.
i think i may have found my new tent.
http://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/shop/coleman_bedrock_2_tent_2009__2919

We did the C2C in july and there were probably only about 15 people that we met who were doing the same stages as we did. there's a huge range of accomodation options: B&B, YHA, camping etc so your chances of being surrounded by 40 other C2Cers at a campsite are pretty minimal.

There were a number of days where we didn't see any other C2Cers when we were walking as we mainly camped/YHA'd so we were off earlier than the B&B'ers.

#51285 - 27/09/09 12:42 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: mickey]
markydrive Offline

OK
so the new tent was perchased yesterday, i plumped for the Coleman Bedrock 2.
spent the night in it in the garden last night and was very happy with it
only a wet and windy night will give me a true test but i cant forsee any real problems.

my next kit purchase will be my rucksack (next month, need to spread the spending).
a few of the threads i have read on here talk about weight, 20-25lbs seems to be suggested,
but they are sold in litres, a little advice would be V-helpfull.
i have been looking at one from GoOutdoors that is 35 litres, is this a good size?

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rucksacks/daypacks/hi-gear-trail-35-rucksack/COREPMABZHG120

again, any advice would be a great help

thank you

#51286 - 27/09/09 12:57 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: markydrive]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
No its too small. You need to have at least a little spare room in a rucsac for it to be comfortable. Pack it too tight and have things hanging off its outer and it becomes less comfortable. My ideal sac that I use on multi day backing trips is 55 litre. Most backpackers will use a 65 litre sac if not going really lightweight or are out for couple of weeks rather than up to 10 days which I prefer. The longer you take on a route the more gear you need to take, unless you are a good improviser and your planning is methodical. I find it difficult to get below 30 lbs, even when taking bare essentials and little spare clothing, however that weight does include food and water.
Dave.

#51288 - 27/09/09 01:18 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: Slogger]
markydrive Offline

thanks Dave
Im planning on really draging my heals and takeing a full 14 days, so a few extra clothes....
you spoke of food in your post have you or anybody else on here ever tried Reiter freeze dried stuff?

http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/reiter_beef_stroganoff.html

thought about stuffing a load of them into my backpack

#51289 - 27/09/09 01:50 PM Re: wild camping ! [Re: markydrive]
SteveInLeicester Offline

Loc: Leicester
Just because you're taking longer doesn't mean you'll need more clothes. Presumably you'll be washing them along the way? It's another area where we all have our own preferences, but a common view is 3 sets of T shirts/underwear. One you're wearing, one you're drying as you walk (when it's not raining) and one for the next day. You can continue this cycle for as long as you like. There are variations on this, some people just use 2 sets and some get more than a day out of each garment. As for freeze dried food, I haven't tried any that I was particularly impressed with and if you stuff a load into your pack as you menation, you'll soon see your pack weight increase! Again it's just an opinion, but I use pasta, rice and noodles but on the C2C you're never far from a pub so you can get a good meal (albeit an expensive one!) every day.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917