The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51242 - 25/09/09 04:31 PM pennine way in two visits
frank Offline

Loc: torquay
hello done the c2c, whw, offas dyke, next the pennine way but due to time restrictions, will have to do it in two visits, first half in spring and 2nd half later on, but I keep thinking this is like cheating, not doing the walk in one go, what do you think?

#51243 - 25/09/09 04:37 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: frank]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Yes, it is cheating, not a proper challenge, and you might live to regret it, but if time restrictions give you no alternative then that must be better than staying at home with your feet up in front of the TV.

#51244 - 25/09/09 04:48 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Lounge Lizard]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Far rather do it in 2 goes and enjoy it rather than rushing it making yourself ill and not seeing anything on the way up.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#51246 - 25/09/09 08:07 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: joyce taylor]
plodder Offline

Loc: England
Frank,
It's not cheating.Do what you want to do when you want to or can do it.For some people walking anywhere or even standing up is a challenge. You have nothing to prove. How dare some say its cheating. Don,t even ask the question.

#51247 - 25/09/09 08:17 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: frank]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
starting in 1963, I've done it in single visits (each way) and I've done it in three visits in successive years.
Each time has provided a unique and enjoyable experience. All were satisfying, because in each case I did what I set out to do.
Once I failed. That was a big disappointment, because I was over halfway when I suffered an injury.
I've come across more people doing it in bits than end-to-end. Loads of people use a little bit of the PW as part of a circular day-walk.
Split it how you like: maybe walk north to Tan Hill one year and south to Tan Hill the next; perhaps start at Tan Hill each time.
Make it your trip, and be proud of it.
Cheating? Who gives a damn?

#51262 - 26/09/09 02:19 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: ]
flatlands Offline

I'm thinking of doing the Pennine Way next year, but like you say frank. It's a lot in a fortnight to do, so I'll probably do in 2 parts.

No, I don't think it's cheating. people have done the Pennine Way in bits over a period of time, the main object is to enjoy the walk.

#51273 - 26/09/09 10:19 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: flatlands]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
You do it which way anyway you can. In one go, in two halves or in bits. Of course each way will have its own different experience, and the pure way is in one. If you cant do it in one you will have to settle for the differing experience. You cant have the same experience that those who do it one will have unless you do the same, but is it cheating, No, just different.
Dave.

#51276 - 27/09/09 04:55 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: plodder]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: plodder
Frank,
It's not cheating.Do what you want to do when you want to or can do it.For some people walking anywhere or even standing up is a challenge. You have nothing to prove. How dare some say its cheating. Don,t even ask the question.

'Cheating' is perhaps a somewhat harsh word for Frank to suggest, but I found it more satisfying walking the Offas Dyke path in one go than the Coast to Coast in three. The travelling backwards and forwards certainly does detract from it.

#51296 - 27/09/09 04:58 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Lounge Lizard]
frank Offline

Loc: torquay
many thanks for your replies, you may be correct lounge lizzard, cheating maybe was the wrong word to use, but I think you all know what I mean, completing a LDW in two or more visits is the sense of achievement still the same? I am not sure.
I have completed many LDW here and in the himalayas all in one go, you know its not easy, but the challenge is there.
we have all seen people who route march the LDW, hell bent on getting from A to B as fast as possible, missing so much,why?
for some walkers it appears to be an ego thing or a race
I will walk the pennine way next year in two visits, enjoy it, I am 65 now, and hope when I complete the pennine way and pin my souvenier in my scrapbook, and in years to come look back and still be proud I did the pennine way, even if it was not in one go.

#51303 - 27/09/09 07:07 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: frank]
Lounge Lizard Offline

"we have all seen people who route march the LDW, hell bent on getting from A to B as fast as possible, missing so much,why?"
Some of us only have four weeks holidays a year, and other interests too, so no time to hang about.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917