The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51342 - 28/09/09 07:12 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: frank]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
What has given you the idea that anything but walking the PW in one stretch is "cheating?". There are no rules to doing the way other than perhaps, you start at Edale and finish at Kirk Yetholme having walked between the two points. From my experience the vast majority of walkers break it down into smaller sections, often over three separate weeks or 2x10 day sections. I feel that I have walked it just as much as the single stretch walker, especially as in many of the sections I had to retrace my steps, either to the car or back to public transport.

Do it at your own pace and enjoy the experience.

#51348 - 28/09/09 09:28 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
"you start at Edale and finish at Kirk Yetholme"
- and it could of course be argued that it's equally acceptable to start at Kirk Yetholme and finish at Edale, unless you know of a rule that says otherwise.

#51350 - 28/09/09 10:06 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Lounge Lizard]
slowcoach Offline

I apologise for this grave oversight. I shall slink into a corner and admonish myself .... or better ... I shall seek out any existing double ......

#51359 - 29/09/09 02:03 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
I think a lot depends on what you want from the walk. If you want a walking holiday with a big challenge then doing it in one go will meet that expectation. If you simply want a walking holiday then it doesn't matter how long you take to do it...you will still have done the PW. Whether you walk one day or a week, you can also still end up with a challange on your hands depending on the conditions.

I have done it once, many years ago, in one go (12-13 days)before all the paving was put down. Then again completing it last year when I simply walked every other weekend throughout the summer. I enjoyed them both.

#51366 - 30/09/09 01:09 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Why do people who walk slower than others, come to the conclusion that the faster walker is missing so much. Thats untrue, I walk fast and take everything in. The only things I am missing is the extra and longer nights spent in the pub at the end of a shorter walking day, carrying the extra weight due to the longer time walking the route, and the extra cost.
Walk faster, further and cheaper, then maybe you can do it in one.
Dave.

#51368 - 30/09/09 04:35 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
It is a generalisation but when chatting to Pennine wayers the ones who are doing it in 17+ days talk more about seeing interesting birds, reptiles,land formations etc. could be that they are seeing more or maybe the slower walkers walk less often so seeing an eagle or an adder is more of a novelty for them so they are still buzzing when they get to us.While the walkers `doing it in 12 days or thereabouts just want to eat and get to bed. Both valid both enjoying it in their own way.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#51369 - 30/09/09 04:38 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

The Countryside Commission undertake a biannual survey of national trail users. This involves interviewers standing at hotspots along each trail and surveying everyone that passes, regardless of whether they are doing the full trail or not. This means that dog walkers, picnickers, solitude seeking romantic couples etc are included as well as people doing the whole trail either in one go or as part of a series of walks. Experience as part of this survey shows that people walking at different speeds see different things. To take the PW as merely an example, slower walkers tend to visit "off site" attractions, especially at the end of the day. (Faster walkers tend to establish a base at the end of the day and remain there be it a camp or pub). This is in no way intended as a criticism of either group, but both do it their own way and should get their enjoyment as they see fit. There is no right or wrong way to undertake any walk.
I remember one (faster) walker telling me that he "could spare me a couple of minutes" to answer the questions. He actually told me that he "stopped looking at the views many years ago". On the other hand a slow pair replied "what waterfall" when standing alongside High Force!!!!

#51374 - 30/09/09 08:19 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: slowcoach
The Countryside Commission undertake a biannual survey of national trail users. This involves interviewers standing at hotspots along each trail and surveying everyone that passes, regardless of whether they are doing the full trail or not. This means that dog walkers, picnickers, solitude seeking romantic couples etc are included as well as people doing the whole trail either in one go or as part of a series of walks. Experience as part of this survey shows that people walking at different speeds see different things. To take the PW as merely an example, slower walkers tend to visit "off site" attractions, especially at the end of the day. (Faster walkers tend to establish a base at the end of the day and remain there be it a camp or pub). This is in no way intended as a criticism of either group, but both do it their own way and should get their enjoyment as they see fit. There is no right or wrong way to undertake any walk.
I remember one (faster) walker telling me that he "could spare me a couple of minutes" to answer the questions. He actually told me that he "stopped looking at the views many years ago". On the other hand a slow pair replied "what waterfall" when standing alongside High Force!!!!

Some very valid comments that were well worth slinking out of the corner to make !

#51378 - 30/09/09 09:21 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Lounge Lizard]
slowcoach Offline

............ but I have now returned to continue my penance.....

#51388 - 01/10/09 02:25 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: frank]
RedDevil Offline

Loc: Rochdale
well in my opionion, the pennine way is a 268 mile walk... if you do it in 2 visits, you doing 2 smaller walks.

if you run 13 miles this year, then 13 miles next year... you wouldnt tell people you did a 26 mile marathon would ya lol

mind you, i also think people who B&B it are cheats so ignore me smile

however you do it, just do it at a comfortable pace and enjoy it smile

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917