The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51392 - 01/10/09 05:11 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: RedDevil]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Ah .... a slight difference here because a marathon is a particular race run under a set of specific rules. By definition a marathon is a 26 mile run (Sorry Lounge Lizard .... 26 mile 385 yard run) ... so two thirteen mile runs could not be called a marathon, even if one of the two sections was 13 miles 385 yards. However, the National Trails are not governed by any such regulations. So, if you decided, due to the weather, to walk up the Dun Fell access road rather than via Knock Fell you have still completed the Pennine Way.

I was one of the original founders of the Wolds Way (my picture is in Dave Rubenstein's book, so avoid this at all costs). There was never any thought during its formulation of a time schedule and the CC (or whatever it was called then) refused to define any target time for covering it.

Go for it at your own pace ... above all, enjoy the experience!

#51403 - 01/10/09 09:09 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Valid pionts accepted, however I have done many LDPs at the NORMAL pace when when walking with others, and the only side shows etc visited was the pub for the evening meal and drink and that seemed to go for others on the routes too.
As for birds and wildlife, I do see them, and I do take note as I have a particuler interest in them.
The other way to look at it, maybe I am actually seeing more in a day as I am covering twice the distance. Also by being on the move for 5am, chances are I see more as the nocturnals are still about and as for the sunrise, no I am not missing anything at all.
Dave.

#51424 - 02/10/09 02:59 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
RedDevil Offline

Loc: Rochdale
Good point Slogger.. i love the wildlife too, i read alot of walk diaries where they set off between 9-10am... such a shame, they must miss loads.

for this reason camping is much better for me, up with the sunrise... quick porridge breakfast and off smile

#51427 - 02/10/09 04:02 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: RedDevil]
Slogger Offline

RedDevil,
Absolutely, the only way to go in my opinion.
Not knocking anyone who prefers who do different, but please dont jump to assumptions about something that you know little or nothing about.
Dave.

#51434 - 02/10/09 08:46 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Very true, best time of the day. I remember a few years back leaving Cockermouth about 4 or 5am, at Whitehaven in time for breakfast, then back in the midlands for lunch.

#51435 - 02/10/09 08:51 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: ]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: sea shore sam
Sounds like everyone on here is having a great time, lucky for you all.

So are you not having much luck at present ?

#51438 - 02/10/09 11:56 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
beefy Offline

Fast or slow, camping or not, isn't it down to your own personal agenda and not any unwritten rules?
I met a couple in their late 50's in the Stag at Dufton who had covered every mile there and back most weekends this year and were hoping to complete before the end of the year. There and back meaning park the car walk the route and then turn around and walk back to the car. When they get to Scotland they are gonna meet friends and family and celebrate. They will have completed the Pennine Way twice in one year, both ways. Hats off to em I say!

#51439 - 03/10/09 09:00 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: beefy]
Slogger Offline

I suppose it could be argued that doing it, as I did over 9 walking days, was in fact 9 walks as opposed to doing it in one. There you go then, next time, in ONE, a non-stopper!!!??
Dave.

#51464 - 04/10/09 08:24 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: slowcoach
Ah .... a slight difference here because a marathon is a particular race run under a set of specific rules. By definition a marathon is a 26 mile run (Sorry Lounge Lizard .... 26 mile 385 yard run) ... so two thirteen mile runs could not be called a marathon, even if one of the two sections was 13 miles 385 yards. However, the National Trails are not governed by any such regulations. So, if you decided, due to the weather, to walk up the Dun Fell access road rather than via Knock Fell you have still completed the Pennine Way.

I was one of the original founders of the Wolds Way (my picture is in Dave Rubenstein's book, so avoid this at all costs). There was never any thought during its formulation of a time schedule and the CC (or whatever it was called then) refused to define any target time for covering it.

Go for it at your own pace ... above all, enjoy the experience!

The standard distance for the marathon race was set by the International Amateur Athletic Federation (IAAF) in May 1921 at a distance of 42.195 kilometres (26 miles 385 yards). Rule 240 of their Competition Rules specifies the metric version of this distance.
Slowcoach. I can't get used to this metric nonsence so 26 miles 385 yards is near enough for me.

#51467 - 04/10/09 08:43 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: beefy]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: beefy
Fast or slow, camping or not, isn't it down to your own personal agenda and not any unwritten rules?
I met a couple in their late 50's in the Stag at Dufton who had covered every mile there and back most weekends this year and were hoping to complete before the end of the year. There and back meaning park the car walk the route and then turn around and walk back to the car. When they get to Scotland they are gonna meet friends and family and celebrate. They will have completed the Pennine Way twice in one year, both ways. Hats off to em I say!

All that motoring backwards and forwards for just short distances walked would negate the relaxation and pleasure of the walk for me but if that's their way of doing the walk so be it.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917