The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51604 - 11/10/09 07:51 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
or heard the expression naff deep , but then again the word naff does not mean the same to-day

#51605 - 11/10/09 08:00 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Naff
it was slang name for the hub of a cart wheel
[maybe Yorkshire slang]

#51613 - 12/10/09 08:46 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: tim smith]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: tim smith
i wonder how many of you have seen the ruts caused by a horse and cart

Yes, but only when the cart has been overloaded or there's been heavier than usual rainfall.

#51614 - 12/10/09 08:52 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: tim smith]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: tim smith
Naff
it was slang name for the hub of a cart wheel
[maybe Yorkshire slang]

Well, that's in Yorkshire, but elsewhere a dictionary has it down as ;

Naff
British slang, today meaning uncool, tacky, unfashionable, worthless... or as a softer expletive, in places where one might use "f=ck" as in "naff off", "naff all", "naffing about".

Origins of the word are disputed, but it appears to have come from Polari (gay slang), used to dismissively refer to heterosexual people. It was introduced as a less offensive expletive verb ("naff off") in the '70s UK television show, Porridge. "Naff off!" was famously used by Princess Anne in 1982.

Naff
something uncool.

original meaning: "not available for f=cking"

#51617 - 12/10/09 10:29 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Lounge Lizard]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
naff .... slang for a hub or cart wheel.... not in the Broad Acres I'm afraid.

#51618 - 12/10/09 10:47 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Heavier than usual rainfall. Hmmm let me think....yepp that about sums up the bulk of the last 3 years. Short of a helicopter I don`t think it would have made a jot of difference which transport the farmers used the result would have been the same. (except maybe a boat)
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#51624 - 12/10/09 02:15 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: joyce taylor]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: joyce taylor
Heavier than usual rainfall. Hmmm let me think....yepp that about sums up the bulk of the last 3 years. Short of a helicopter I don`t think it would have made a jot of difference which transport the farmers used the result would have been the same. (except maybe a boat)

As a townie I'm not best placed to comment on such matters ( not that that usually stops me though ) but as you say "Animal husbandry has changed over the centuries and while previously a small flock provided an income this is no longer the case and to expect a farmer to keep a watch on a modern sized flock in very difficuilt terrain on foot is unrealistic (and not good for the sheep as they are quite silly animals and often get themselves into scrapes)". I blame supermarkets driving down margins for farmers and making them take on such large flocks.

#51625 - 12/10/09 04:04 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Lounge Lizard]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
Up here it is not so much large flock as large area because the soil in mountains and hills is shallow and often poor the sheep need a greater expanse to graze on.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#51626 - 12/10/09 05:02 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: joyce taylor]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Originally Posted By: joyce taylor
Up here it is not so much large flock as large area because the soil in mountains and hills is shallow and often poor the sheep need a greater expanse to graze on.

Very well explained. Thanks.
I often think, well not that often, what a valuable contribution sheep make to the British diet and how fortunate it is that most of us are carnivores, or omnivores, as those vast upland areas are practically useless for the cultivation of vegetarian foodstuffs.

#51633 - 12/10/09 09:46 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
On the high Cumbrian hills, you wont get a vehicle up there no matter how many wheels its got. I always find it fascinating, when the Shepherds are gathering their sheep in. It takes quite a number of them spread out over a large area with many sheep dogs working in teams to drive different flocks to the desired destination.
Dave.

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917