The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51634 - 12/10/09 09:48 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Unless you're called Joss Naylor who rounds up every sheep in Cumbria, every day

Before breakfast

#51642 - 13/10/09 09:48 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
There is a flock of feral goats also grazing in the Cheviots near Uswayford farm. A fella staying here earlier in the year told me that ussi or something like it is swiss for goat.
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#51645 - 13/10/09 07:38 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: joyce taylor]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Slowcoach,
Not any more he doesnt, he retired a few years ago and moved from the farm in Wasdales Bowderdale to his retirement cottage, not too far away in Greendale, near the bridge.
Myself and a pal attempted his Joss Naylor Lakeland Challenge shortly before he moved and whilst he was renovating it. 48 miles over 28 mountain summits with 19,000ft of ascent, to be completed within 12 hours. We failed miserably but got to 33 miles within 8 hours and 16 summits, before the tendons started screaming, and received a really nice letter off him, urging us to try again another day. (Decision pending!)
Dave.

#51647 - 13/10/09 08:51 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

A couple of weeks ago I stayed for two nights at Wasdale Youth Hostel. On the second day I parked in the parking area to east of Greendale. I then walked up Seatallan, across to Haycock and on to Caw Fell. Whilst on Caw Fell I met a ranger who suggested that I could return by a different route .... down Blengdale (which I admit I had never heard of until then). I dropped down by Hanging Stone and picked up the blind bridleway. Just before the sheepfold I met the local shepherd driving his sheep in the opposite direction. During our conversation he mentioned that Joss still frequently helps him out ... his speciality evidently is searching for lost sheep. He tells Joss where he thinks they might be .... and off he goes! People like that never actually fully retire!!!!

#51689 - 16/10/09 07:23 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

Yeah, you are right, its in thier blood. When he did his 60 at 60 (Lakeland Summits) to celebrate his 60th birthday. He came down to the finish after something like 120 miles and 45,000ft of ascent and descent. He was interviewed for the video being made and asked a question, it went like this.
"Joss, when you had descended Red Screes, you were in real trouble with that pain in your hips and you were leaning to one side. Everyone would have understood if you had stopped then, did it cross your mind?"
The look on Joss's face said it all, "You dont stop on these things, not when its in the heart" was his soft but simple reply.
A true Fell Running legend.
Dave.

#51692 - 16/10/09 08:55 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: Slogger]
slowcoach Offline

Did I read somewhere that he had had problems with one or both of his knees which required a fairly serious operation? If true, he is all the more remarkable!

#51707 - 17/10/09 02:38 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: slowcoach]
Slogger Offline

I dont know about that, but during the week before his 60 @ 60, whilst fixing a big heavy gate it toppled and fell on top of him. Hence the hip trouble. He knew he should have posponed his attempt, but felt he couldnt let down all the pacers and helpers that committed to that weekend for him.
Dave.

#51712 - 18/10/09 12:17 AM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: RedDevil]
beefy Offline

Originally Posted By: RedDevil
Originally Posted By: joyce taylor
they are quite silly animals and often get themselves into scrapes)

Speaking of sheep, does anyone know if there eyesight is bad?

reason i ask is because when im walking they seem to see or hear you... stand there looking in your direction, then suddenly seem shocked when you get within 20 feet?

its like they can hear you first, then when they see you.... OMG its a Human.... run for your lives!!!

So funny that Red Devil! Something that puzzled me too. Also why do they all charge down the path in front to avoid you getting larger in numbers by the minute when all they have to do is turn left or right and not head in the direction you are walking?
I witnessed a farmer rounding up his sheep in the Cheviots on his quad bike, his dogs worked hundreds of yards from where he was covering a vast area. Within 15 minutes they had covered this huge area and all the sheep were under control. He needed a quad bike to keep up with how efficient the dogs were. Great to watch for an urban lad like myself.

#51748 - 19/10/09 06:27 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: beefy]
bogstomper Offline

Talking about quad bikes, I saw a FOX HUNT between Bellingham and Byrness last month. One guy was tooting his bugle, dressed in red on horseback, while his compatriates were on quad bikes, with at least 30 hounds pursuing the fox!
Pick up trucks were on the surrounding roads, probably look-outs for the old Bill. I thought it was all illegal, but I saw an elderly couple, who informed me it was Sir Michael and it was his land & he could do whatever he wanted to do on it cool

#51778 - 20/10/09 04:33 PM Re: pennine way in two visits [Re: tim smith]
tim smith Offline

Loc: england
Originally Posted By: tim smith
or heard the expression naff deep , but then again the word naff does not mean the same to-day

think i have got it sorted
Nave ,A.S.nafu,Dutch ,naaf.g.nabs.iceland, nof.
the central block of wheel in which the axle and spokes are inserted, the hub.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917