The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5122 - 16/08/06 07:21 PM Re: Byrness
tomread Offline

I don't know that she doesn't have a licence. I know that she doesn't have a public bar anymore.

#5123 - 16/08/06 07:37 PM Re: Byrness
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
So if she is contravening licensing laws is she also ignoring fire regulations and health regulations and failing to pay VAT, income tax etc ? Surely not the sort of establishment anyone would want to recommend on here.

Here we go again....LL jumping to assumptions without having a shred of evidence to support his claims.

Well done TR.

#5124 - 16/08/06 09:59 PM Re: Byrness
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
tonky, Who's jumping to conclusions ?
I'm neither jumping to conclusions nor claiming anything, merely asking a question that someone familiar with the establishment might be able to answer .

#5125 - 16/08/06 10:45 PM Re: Byrness
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard:
tonky, Who's jumping to conclusions ?
I'm neither jumping to conclusions nor claiming anything, merely asking a question that someone familiar with the establishment might be able to answer .

It would be most unusual for a hotel to tell its guests it avoided paying tax and VAT!

#5126 - 02/10/06 09:50 PM Re: Byrness
Kano Offline

Loc: England
Quote:
There is a camping/caravan site in cottonshopeburnfoot (just before Byrness) who claim to do B and B but I have not tried to book.

I stayed there last week (end Sept). You get a mobile home/chalet to yourself. No evening meal (I carried a couple of tinnies and a pastie/pork pie/choc chip cookies from the co-op in Bellingham). Nearest pub is 4 miles (no offer of a lift) and the Byrness still has no licence, although I am told "she is thinking about re-applying". Breakfast was good. By the way, all the Bellingham pubs don't open till seven, but as the co-op opposite doesn't shut until eight its a cheap way of drinking at the Cheviot Hotel's tables until seven if its not raining!

#5127 - 06/10/06 10:38 AM Re: Byrness
John H Offline

Loc: Woodville, VA., USA
I stayed at the Byrness Hotel the night of Sept 23d, just prior to doing the last leg to complete the PW. The Hotel is being operated as a B&B and the room was nice. The evening meal was fair and they packed a decent pack lunch for the next day. The shared shower is an interesting arrangment, sort of like being in a well at the bottom of 3 steep steps. Fortunately, the pull cord was broken so I used the daughter's shower. The night before our early departure, the owners laid out a dry breakfast for us(Brian and myself).

Directly across the street is a gas station that has a great bakery and extensive selection of sandwiches. I picked up a few goodies and walked to the Hostel where Cliff and I had a late tea.

If the Hostel does not reopen under new management, accommodations in the area are going to be sparse.

#5128 - 06/10/06 07:25 PM Re: Byrness
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
"The shared shower is an interesting arrangement" - did you have a choice as to who you shared with ?

#5129 - 26/10/06 09:11 PM Re: Byrness
Shanghailander Offline

Loc: Bangor, Pennsylvania, USA
Just stayed there.

It was kind of strange - big old country house, kind of spooky. Had bedroom, bathroom not en suite. Was shown no public rooms or lounges - there were rooms, but they were cluttered with boxes and other junk. Was shown into the dining room by a very solicitous old gentleman - at least eighty - he reminded me of a head butler in an English Country Manor, but when I got into the room, a rock song from Queen was blasting from the CD player. Dinner was edible but certainly not as good as others I had on the PW. Overall, it was not a bad stay.

Youth Hostel is closed, I heard. Only other place to eat is a truck stop across from the hotel.

#5130 - 31/10/06 09:22 PM Re: Byrness
valpoulton Offline

Loc: YORK
JohnH think we met you at Greenhead you were talking to Steven about the appalachian way which you had completed, we stayed at Bryness strange place especially when we where offered a can of beer which came warm, most expensive place on the whole walk very disappointed. well done on completing the PW

#5131 - 02/11/06 03:03 PM Re: Byrness
John H Offline

Loc: Woodville, VA., USA
Valpoulton,

Congratulations on finishing the Way. It truly is a great hike with beautiful scenery and plenty of nice people along the path. I had no difficulty in finishing except for the last few days when I developed a rash on my back. By the time I got home I had a bad case of shingles and it's still with me! That's something I don't wish on anyone.
For your next adventure come to the States and hike the Appalachian Trail. It will take a wee bit longer and the scenery is grand. All the best.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917