The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2883
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1676
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3450 Topics
35932 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51267 - 26/09/09 06:29 PM Planning to do Offa's Dyke
Matt203 Offline

We did the C2C in June and loved it - we now have the bug for doing long-distance walks and are considering the Offa's Dyke Way.

I know very little about the area so would appreciate any advice given!

Is it best to go S to N or N to S?

We will probably have 2 weeks to complete, so what are the best places to stop and break up the days?

Has anyone used a company to move their bag (I see Sherpavan don't cover this one)

Thanks

Matt

#51271 - 26/09/09 10:03 PM Re: Planning to do Offa's Dyke [Re: Matt203]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
We went South to North a few years ago over 11 days walking with arest day at halfway in Knighton. We used the National Trail Guide and stuck with their reccomended itinery apart from the day going on to Trevor :-
Chepstow to Monmouth
Monmouth to Pandy
Pandy to Hay on Wye
HoY to Kington
Kington to Knighton
Knighton to Montgomery
Montgomery to Llanymynech
Llanymynech to Trevor
Trevor to Llandegla
Llandegla to Bodfari
Bodfary to Prestatyn.

Very undulating many stiles, but overall a good walk. Nowhere near the number of walkers that the C2C gets. Most days we never saw anyone else doing the route.
Dave.

#51277 - 27/09/09 04:59 AM Re: Planning to do Offa's Dyke [Re: Slogger]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Matt, Best go north to south as then your walk isn't spoilt by the realisation that all the time you're heading towards Prestatyn.

#51282 - 27/09/09 09:52 AM Re: Planning to do Offa's Dyke [Re: Matt203]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
I did it early this year - stop overs were Chepstow, Monmouth,
Pandy, Hay on Wye, Kington, Knighton, Little Brompton, Llanymynech, Llangollen, Clywd Gate, Bodfari, Prestatyn (although I didn't stop at Prestatyn - Mr Lizard is right that Prestatyn is not the best of places, but then neither is Chepstow - and if all you are doing is getting on a train - its no big deal. The walk along the cliffs above Prestatyn is quite nice - its only horrible when you get there!)

My Little Brompton to Llanymynech stretch was quite long - as was the next day to Llangollen. Had to get a taxi to get any food at Little Brompton.

I found the ODP a great walk - my second favourite after the Pennine Way - preferred it to the C2C. But particularly in the middle there is a lot of ups and downs - Mr Offa didn't take into account going round hills - he just went straight over them.

With regards baggage transfer - most B&Bs will transfer your bags for you, but it costs about 10 to 15. If you go to the offas dyke association website - www.offasdyke.demon.co.uk - their accommodation listings tell you whether they do baggage transfer. I did come across some organisations who do the whole route but it was very expensive - and most of the B&Bs were very used to being asked to shift bags.

#51355 - 29/09/09 10:07 AM Re: Planning to do Offa's Dyke [Re: Bliss 60]
Matt203 Offline

Thanks all

I saw LL comments on Prestatyn and I think we will go N to S and reverse the itinerary suggested.

Found this website re the baggage

http://www.walkorbikewales.com/offasdyke.html

They seem quite good - anyone heard of them?

Matt

#51365 - 30/09/09 05:25 AM Re: Planning to do Offa's Dyke [Re: Matt203]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham
Originally Posted By: Matt203

Didn't come across them. I did the ODP in 10 days - so two less than the minimum 12 days they are offering. My accommodation cost me 375, and I stayed in some good places - could probably have got cheaper if I had wanted to. My baggage transfer cost me 180 in total (ie. asking the B&Bs to sort it). That's a total of 555 - which is 220 cheaper than the lowest price this company are charging. But then you get the comfort of knowing that you don't have to sort anything - and plus two extra days than I did. Depends on how much you want to pay?

#51375 - 30/09/09 08:29 PM Re: Planning to do Offa's Dyke [Re: Bliss 60]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Bliss 60
Originally Posted By: Matt203

Didn't come across them. I did the ODP in 10 days - so two less than the minimum 12 days they are offering. My accommodation cost me 375, and I stayed in some good places - could probably have got cheaper if I had wanted to. My baggage transfer cost me 180 in total (ie. asking the B&Bs to sort it). That's a total of 555 - which is 220 cheaper than the lowest price this company are charging. But then you get the comfort of knowing that you don't have to sort anything - and plus two extra days than I did. Depends on how much you want to pay?

This only goes to prove how expensive long distance paths are getting.
When I walked the Offas Dyke Path in April 1991 it cost me only about 100, as follows ;
40.20 for accomodation ( Maeshafn YH 5.50, Llangollen YH 6.60, Westwood Welshpool 12, Knighton YH 5.50, Capel-y-Ffin YH 5.50, Monmouth YH 5.10 ),
0 for baggage transfer,
29.50 there and back ( 12 train to Prestatyn, 17.50 train from Chepstow),
about 30 for beer and food.

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917