The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51382 - 01/10/09 06:37 AM Maps / Route Finder
scaredovheights Offline

Well after a mad week I have managed to book my accomodation to do the C2C next May. As mentioned before my main objective as a novice is to get to Robins Hood Bay so will be taking the lower routes mostly.

I've started to think about maps and route finders and would appreciate peoples views and experiences. I like the look of the many mini maps in the guide book by Henry Stedman but guess I need to add the strip maps. He recommends the Footprint Maps above the Harvey Maps as they have the mile count feature, what do you guys think?

My other problem is that without the OS maps I will not be able to appreciate the surrounding hills properly, I would like to invest in the Sat Map Active 10 GPS (not sure if I can run to the cost) which I suppose would eleviate this. Any comments?

#51383 - 01/10/09 08:01 AM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: scaredovheights]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
I think Harvey Maps are a bit like marmite - either love them or hate them. For example, for those who are used to OS Maps the different scale can be off-putting. On the other hand they are water proof - although when I have used them that claim didn't stand up in very heavy rain. We used the old OS Strip maps - hard to get and a bit dated now.

It's about individual likes and dislikes really, but it would be OS maps for me.

#51384 - 01/10/09 08:02 AM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: scaredovheights]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
If you do, or intend to do more walking, either daily jaunts or long distance paths .... then put a SATMAP on your Christmas wish list (not forgetting that you will have to buy mapcards as an extra). However, you cannot use this in isolation from normal maps, it is essential you carry these as well.

Personally, I never walk anywhere without OS maps, basically because you can re-use them every time that you visit an area whilst strip maps are only really useful on the actually walk. I feel that they are a wise long term investment ... and why wouldn't you want to revisit the Lakes, Dales or Moors if you get the taste for them. You can post them home after you move off each one.

I know many people who have strip maps and have found them useful. There is quite a thriving market in loans between friends (for the cost of a pint in the local pub). Have you a friend who would let you borrow one for the duration?

#51387 - 01/10/09 12:34 PM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: scaredovheights]
The Lost Walker Offline

Loc: Grimsby
Originally Posted By: scaredovheights
Well after a mad week I have managed to book my accomodation to do the C2C next May. As mentioned before my main objective as a novice is to get to Robins Hood Bay so will be taking the lower routes mostly.

I've started to think about maps and route finders and would appreciate peoples views and experiences. I like the look of the many mini maps in the guide book by Henry Stedman but guess I need to add the strip maps. He recommends the Footprint Maps above the Harvey Maps as they have the mile count feature, what do you guys think?

My other problem is that without the OS maps I will not be able to appreciate the surrounding hills properly, I would like to invest in the Sat Map Active 10 GPS (not sure if I can run to the cost) which I suppose would eleviate this. Any comments?

I finished the c2c on Monday 28th Sept, I totally agree with the comments above re using OS maps. I have the original OL33, OL34 c2c strip maps, while they were spot on for the route they are not much use if you stray off route either by mistake or deliberatley.

We wanted to see more of the area around the Lake District so went off track on several occasions, the strip maps became U/S, fortunatley I also have the SAT MAP 10 Active Plus. I will never go into the hills again without it, without a shadow of doubt it is the best gadget I have ever bought.

However, you still need to have the relevant OS map and compass, gadgets can and do let you down, the battery life of the SAT MAP is fantastic, I was getting at least 15 hours from the rechargable battery pack, but I also carried the backup battery holder with Energiser Lithium batteries loaded.

The SD route cards are not cheap but once you have got them, you have them for life (not affected by rain), planning / plotting routes on the SAT MAP is very easy and only takes a few minutes.

Hope this helps.

TLW

#51407 - 02/10/09 06:35 AM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: The Lost Walker]
scaredovheights Offline

Thanks for the replies. It seems to me then that even though I don't intend to do any off track walking, I should still go for the full OL maps rather than the strip maps, in case I stray off the track.

#51450 - 03/10/09 05:50 PM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: slowcoach]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: slowcoach

You can post them home after you move off each one.

I know many people who have strip maps and have found them useful. There is quite a thriving market in loans between friends (for the cost of a pint in the local pub). Have you a friend who would let you borrow one for the duration?

What a brilliant idea or two.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#51469 - 04/10/09 11:41 AM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Can I ask?
Does anyone ever go out without a GPS?
I don't have one, and would like to think I can navigate just using maps.(An old armed forces trick.)
But should I think about one that just gives a map position?
Just for emergencies in case I do wander off route.
But which one? Any advice?
I don't think I would need one that tells me where to turn and which way is up. I can manage that.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#51470 - 04/10/09 12:20 PM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
markydrive Offline

Loc: Oxford UK
personally, i wouldn't think of getting a gps, its not like we are heading off into the unknown
regions of some long-lost rain forest in the middle of nowhere. we are going to a well documented,
well known and well walked path in the english country side.

getting a gps is just getting a gadget for gadgets sake.

learn how to read a map, save your money to spend in the pub at the end of your walk.

#51471 - 04/10/09 01:24 PM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: markydrive]
markydrive Offline

but that is just my opinion

you say you can read a map (you were in the forces)

think about if you really need it before you spend your cash

#51472 - 04/10/09 02:27 PM Re: Maps / Route Finder [Re: markydrive]
markydrive Offline

now thinking about it, im not even gonna pack a compass....

i wear a simple analog watch, so as long as i know that it is set to the right time
i am carying a compass on my wrist all the time....

amazing what things you remember from cub-scouts 30 years ago...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917