The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#51663 - 15/10/09 03:43 AM Trail Book Info Update
ColClarke Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi all.
I am tackling the pennine way for the 4th time next April/May 2010 after taking a break from it for 11 years. Just interested in knowing if the OS/Hopkins North and South books are up to date or there has been a major route change. I have what I believe are the latest trail books (from a couple of years ago).

Decide I will allow two and a bit weeks and walk from Gargrave to Kirk Yetholm with a tent. Did the southern section for the first time in 1994 and didn't think much of bleaklow!

#51678 - 16/10/09 09:48 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: ColClarke]
tomread Offline

You will know if you have the latest Trailblazer guide because it will have me and Pete Stott in the acknowledgements.

AFAIK, a new edition of Hopkins PW North was issued in early 2006. The South book was a couple of years earlier.

Both were faultless when I walked the way in 2006, apart from a pub symbol on the OS map page for Cowling. It was no longer a pub but a furniture store!

Tom

#51682 - 16/10/09 11:12 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: tomread]
joyce taylor Offline

Loc: byrness village
several people walking with a much newer book were complaining that a lot of the facilities had changed since it had gone to press I know that the info for Byrness is wrong,it is one of those things with a walk of this distance. The info on the national trail website is supposed to be updated regularly however the downloadable pdf on the same site is only updated every few years.The reason for that is that changes to the live pages are made by Steve Westwood or one of his team but the downloadable pdf is done by an outside company and they charge the earth for updating it so they only pay to have it done every few years.The cicerone guide will be up to date next spring as Paddy was through here a couple of months ago walking the route to check it before the new guide went to press. (out early next year)
#1 place to stay in Byrness (tripadvisor)

#51696 - 17/10/09 07:48 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: joyce taylor]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Have you considered trying out one of the other LDPs as you write that have already completed the PW 3 times? Why not perhaps try the CtoC, The Cleveland Way, Part of the South West Coast Path or one of the other challenging ones just for a bit of variety? Coming from Aus I would give the Wold's Way a miss though!

A lot of paving has gone on the southern section. There were slabs ready to be laid between the A635 (Saddleworth) to the A62 last year and the PW section of Bleaklow is largely paved now. Oh .... in 1963 you could flounder for hours on that section! Wonder what really did happen to George ... I last saw him trying to reach the trig point before he suddenly ......

#51701 - 17/10/09 09:04 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: slowcoach]
beefy Offline

I beg to differ! Bleaklow is not paved. The other side of the Snake Pass (south of the road) is well and truly a pavement but Bleaklow is still itself.

#51702 - 17/10/09 09:17 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: beefy]
beefy Offline

The latest slabs being layed when I walked the route last month were not long after Jacobs Ladder on the ascent to Kinder. The path was very worn though in that section. Very popular I suppose for day trippers heading to Kinder Downfall.

#51703 - 17/10/09 09:33 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: beefy]
beefy Offline

Sorry to hog this thread but...I used the Cicerone book and had no problems route wise. I wouldn't rely on a publication anyway for finding digs, things change quickly on that front. When I had to leave my camping gear at Alston due to injury I just relied on word of mouth at my final destination each day to sort something out for my next day. I suppose if you are travelling from Oz that aint the way to go.........

#51726 - 18/10/09 11:34 PM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: slowcoach]
ColClarke Offline

Loc: Australia
Hello Slowcoach,
I, like many probably am yet to complete all of the trail. In '94 I did Edale to Crowden and due to the rain I stopped. In '96 Crowden to Gargrave and Greenhead to Bellingham before time restrictions stopped me. And in '98 Hebden Bridge to Greenhead with a mate before we got thirsty and spent the rest of the trip in pubs.

This time after marriage, kids and being a lot wiser, I want to get the lure of the trail out of my system and complete it (except the first few days which I'm not keen on doing ever again).

Have done bit of SUP, Offa's Dyke and Thames but its the PW I like the most.

#51730 - 19/10/09 08:08 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: ColClarke]
slowcoach Offline

Loc: Yorkshire
Apologies Beefy, you're right ... I had got Bleaklow and Black Hill mixed up. Although I haven't personally walked it for a few years I have been told (hopefully correctly) that the summit of Black Hill has been subjected to a deal of paving .... If true, unless you are doing the PW, it knocks the excitement out of it .... will I survive or won't I.

#51826 - 24/10/09 04:35 AM Re: Trail Book Info Update [Re: slowcoach]
beefy Offline

No probs Slowcoach, just the general updates!
Black Hill is a high street path but worthy of the attention. A few years back it was suffering and no life to speak of. Now it's better than it's probably been in my lifetime, lots of wildlife and the natural growth has returned courtesy of a lot of peoples work

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917