The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2893
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1697
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3454 Topics
36023 Posts

Max Online: 290 @ 18/04/20 08:00 PM
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5168 - 27/05/06 02:58 PM pennine way
stroller Offline

Loc: england
Hi Im hoping to walk the pennine way ,south to north,on the 15th june,It would be nice to hear from any one who has just completed the walk and,if they have come across any problems on the way .

Regards
STROLLER

#5169 - 30/05/06 12:50 PM Re: pennine way
Dunk Offline

Just finished the PW in 16 days solo.
Top tips,If you get past the first day you've got it cracked Dont bank on Snoopy's snack bar for lunch on the second day, he's not there very often now. The great westeren pub at stanedge will let you camp there for 1, she does very good food and did tell be about some local B&B's if i wanted them. Go to the farm shop at Colden it's well worth the 200 yrds, and she lets "pennine wayers camp free in her field. Accom in lothersdale is a bit thin on the ground, cowling might be a better idea. Pop in to the Pen-y-ghent cafe in Horton-in-Ribblesdale to sign the book. Tea shop in thwaite is worth a stop for a beer or a cream tea. YHA @ Keld over Tan Hill every time, its just nicer. Watch out for the boulderfields just before Cauldron Snout. The track down off of Cross Fell in to Garrigill i'm told is better than its was... Yeah Right! Cumberland Hotel in Alston is some of the best food on the PW. Hadrian's wall is not as bad as everyone says. Dnot say @ the Cheivot Hotel Bellingham, better places to stay. Bellingham has my vote as the most unfriendly town on the PW. Byrness has a food problem after 5pm when the Cafe shuts, cos u cant eat at the hotel unless u stay there, which i understand is not a good idea, very poor so im told. YHA is selfcatering. Do the LAST DAY in ONE dont be a coast 2 coaster and slpit it. After 230 miles it a breeze.
Met a Bloke called nick on the PW who set himself the challange of drinking 100 pints while walking the way!! ask around and see if any of the pubs remember him... Also when you get to The Boarder Hotel, Kirk Yetham do as nick and i did and drink a gallon of beer... it makes all the pain go away!
Good luck, i hope you enjoy it as much as i did, always loads of other walkers to chat, walk & drink with.

Dunk

#5170 - 30/05/06 03:09 PM Re: pennine way
stroller Offline

Thanks Dunk,for all the information you have given me ,It will come in handy .

Regards.
Stroller

#5171 - 31/05/06 10:20 AM Re: pennine way
AucklandBlues Offline

Loc: Manchester
Hi Stroller. It just so happens Im setting out on the 15th as well! Probably going to miss the England game which is not good. I did Edale to Crowden on the Bank Holiday weekend as a warm up and although I found the last few miles tough, I'm hoping I should be able to manage it!

#5172 - 02/06/06 09:53 AM Re: pennine way
stroller Offline

Hi Aukland blues.Nice to hear your starting your walk at the same ,Hope to bump into at sometime on the way and have a chat, Stroller
Quote:
Originally posted by AucklandBlues:
Hi Stroller. It just so happens Im setting out on the 15th as well! Probably going to miss the England game which is not good. I did Edale to Crowden on the Bank Holiday weekend as a warm up and although I found the last few miles tough, I'm hoping I should be able to manage it!

#5173 - 03/06/06 01:44 PM Re: pennine way
Graisg Offline

Loc: UK
'Bellingham has my vote as the most unfriendly town on the PW'
mmm, can you expand on that one. I found the place quite friendly, was there on the way up last year and down in 2004, my experiences centre around the youth hostel though.

#5174 - 03/06/06 02:47 PM Re: pennine way
tonyk Offline

Loc: UK
Interesting site that has plenty of photos of PW.

http://www.jbutler.org.uk/e2e/pw/index.shtml

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917