The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52086 - 09/11/09 07:28 PM I did it!! Whoo hoo!!
cmet Offline

Hey all!

A week ago I completed the c2c - my first long distance walk! What a feeling.

To all of you that are thinking of attempting this walk - DO IT!! Its amazing!! But train train train beforehand!!

#52091 - 09/11/09 07:38 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: cmet]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: cmet
Hey all!

To all of you that are thinking of attempting this walk - DO IT!! Its amazing!! But train train train beforehand!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iArJm9gBvg

#52092 - 09/11/09 07:54 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
Very well done, and your first of many I'm sure.
Dave.

#52100 - 09/11/09 09:20 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Slogger]
ruth020989 Offline

well done cmet ; a truly fantastic achievement ; i just wish i could walk that far these days ; the old war wound - special forces - playing me up a wee bit at the moment - change of weather i guess ; i'd be grateful if you could give us your daily schedule and a detailed account of each of your b&b's ; also could you share with us how you got through the challenge of priory villas ; great stuff cmet ; what's next??

#52104 - 09/11/09 11:11 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Loc: Earth. Usually,but not exclusi...
Originally Posted By: Lounge Lizard
Hey all!

Oh the good old days before the Polit beureue got hold of the voting line fone number
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52105 - 09/11/09 11:12 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

And likewise.
CONGRATS.
I hope to be joining the elite band known as Coaster myself next June.
The training has started.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52112 - 10/11/09 08:32 AM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
ruth020989 Offline

shurely shome misstak its.......polit bureau...init?

CONGRATS again cmet A great achievement.

did YOU walk ALL the way?

the other DAY i saw a walker get in to a CAR ; could that have been you?? if not i WONDER if anyone on this GREAT forum knows who THAT person was and how he got on ( given the terrible roadworks on the ringroad )

#52121 - 10/11/09 06:28 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: Reluctanttrucker
Hey all!

Oh the good old days before the Polit beureue got hold of the voting line fone number

Precisely. If we can't vote a decent government in what chance have we got of voting for a good song.
I can't think of any nice Eurovision songs since
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lof1HI6gpfw
and in hindsight I had a lot to learn as a twelve year old.

#52125 - 10/11/09 06:46 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: ruth020989]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: ruth020989
shurely shome misstak its.......polit bureau...init?

CONGRATS again cmet A great achievement.

did YOU walk ALL the way?

the other DAY i saw a walker get in to a CAR ; could that have been you?? if not i WONDER if anyone on this GREAT forum knows who THAT person was and how he got on ( given the terrible roadworks on the ringroad )

I aint no geeni uss wen ot comes ta speeeling.
Sooorrry
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52127 - 10/11/09 07:37 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
cmet Offline

Ha Ha! Cheers for the congrats everyone!!

Dont think it was me you saw getting into car ruth020989 as i'm a she and there were 3 of us?? Yes did walk all the way, except at a couple of b&b's we stayed in as they were 4 miles off route so they offered a pick up - drop off service.

I did make them drop us off in the EXACT spot we were picked up from tho, and even walked back 200 mtrs in keld when our ride drove past the phone box we were picked up from! I'm very strict with myself!!

When i find my lil' diary of my adventure, i'll put the b&b's/hotels/pubs etc we stayed in on here if that will help anyone?

#52148 - 12/11/09 08:50 AM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Lounge Lizard]
Bliss 60 Offline

Loc: Birmingham

Is it embarassing to say that this was the first single I ever bought? I was only six.

#52151 - 12/11/09 11:37 AM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Lee J Offline

And likewise.
CONGRATS.

Hi there, I know that training is specific to each person but how are you approaching it and what type of training are you doing. I too have pencilled the coast to coast in for next June.

#52163 - 12/11/09 07:57 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Lee J]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Well done cmet.

LOL @ Ruth...

#52199 - 13/11/09 09:14 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Lee J]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: Lee J
And likewise.
CONGRATS.

Hi there, I know that training is specific to each person but how are you approaching it and what type of training are you doing. I too have pencilled the coast to coast in for next June.

Hi Lee.
I am just doing an eight mile circuit on flat suffolk paths, and as I am away all week in a truck, it is only happening on a Sunday.Doing it at varying speeds,taking about 2 1/2 hours.

Was looking to start walking with a weighted backpack in the new year, then putting a few extra miles on, and building up gradually.

I am planning to start by arriving in Richmond on Sat 5th, then, if I can get a space in the minibus,starting the walk on Sunday 6th.
Getting lost on the 7th.
Rescued on the 8th.
Giving up totally on the 9th.
Getting drunk on the 10th, and staying like that till the 18th.
It's not a great plan......but it is a plan.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52203 - 14/11/09 09:20 AM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
*tim* Offline

RT as fellow Suffolkian I know the issues you have getting to the mountains to do some proper walking. Walking around here is flat and generally on farmland so doesn't really help much when up in the hills, neither navigation wise or muscle wise.

But as long as you have a general level of fitness you'll be fine on the C2C, after all its just walking for 8 hours a day. If you're B&B'ing and using a courier service, you'll have an even easier time of it.

All the best

#52212 - 14/11/09 07:07 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: *tim*]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Thanks Tim.
I am generally fit.
I do have a problem ankle,an old sprain that wont give up, that to be honest is a bit of a bugger to walk on for any length of time.
But,I REALLY want to do this for several reasons.
1. I want to prove to myself that I can.(I haven't done much to show anyone, including myself, that I can stick to a task that I myself have set. I am not achademically accademically acemdelicamally inclined(Bugger, Clever), but am not stupid,but can't even complete a web site design course,which cost a lot of money, this leaves a bad taste in the mouth.)
2. I want to prove it to Mrs RT. (She has had to put up with my stupid highly unthought out ideas, and the ramifications of them for the last 26 years.)
3. We know a four year old child with a really nasty cancer.( I want to make some money to ease the burden that cancer brings to families.Had first hand experience of that.)
4. We all know someone who has had it.( therefore Cancer Reasearch UK will also be a benifactor in this little escapade.)
5. I have never tried anything like it before,and really feel that I can accomplish something worthwhile and noteworthy.

On my gravestone will be inscribed " Paul. Did somthing once"

Hopefully, it will lead onto many more excurtions into the wild,which I hope don't kill me to death fatally,and live a long and fulfilled life of many other noteworthy walk things.

Now all I need to do is learn how to get the map the right way up and know what all those wiggley lines are for.
Ya never know,Suffolk only being the size of a small blanket,we may even bump into each other, wether by accident or by design.
If you can put up with an idiot who doesn't know when to shut up..........
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52213 - 14/11/09 07:08 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

PS.
Am going to try the wild camp styleof walk.......GOD help the North.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52219 - 15/11/09 08:44 AM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
HB Offline

Loc: Norfolk, UK
Hi there RT and Tim, good to know that you are both suffering from the lack of hills. I have only just moved out of Suffolk by about 300 yards into Norfolk! My walking buddies live in Suffolk and Essex, so our training walks are mainly done in one of these three flat counties.

Earlier this year we did the Hadrian's Wall walk for cancer research. Our c2c next June will hopefully raise more for this charity.

We are thinking of doing a long weekend in Derbyshire sometime in the new year so that the novice member of the group gets an idea of what she is facing. She did the HW without a problem, however, there are only a few bumps in the middle part of that walk, and it's a bit of a doddle.

If you are interested in our last c2c training plan take a look at http://www.famousfivegrannies.walkingplaces.co.uk/ I have yet to put together a plan for training for our crossing in June, but it will be on the same lines, as we managed it in 13 days which apparently is ok for old gals!

Good luck.
HB

#52222 - 15/11/09 11:22 AM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: HB]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Thanks HB.
Will look at it later today.
Read your blog of your last c2c.
Excellent.
There is hope for me yet,but I can't multitask.
I am a bloke.
Yup Mad as hatters.

#52226 - 15/11/09 04:21 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: Reluctanttrucker]
*tim* Offline

Hi HB, didn't realise you were another local one. Yep, having no hills is horrible, be it walking, scrambling, climbing, mountain biking... I really have picked the worst hobbies for my location.

13 days is very good for a group which you describe as 'old gals', I met a group of retired ladies where the youngest one was 70 who were planning on twenty-something days. I did it in 10, which is neither here nor there as I'm much, much younger - hah! I also enjoyed reading your diary, I've got mine in a notebook somewhere to type up / put at the back of the bookshelf.

#52227 - 15/11/09 04:30 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: *tim*]
*tim* Offline

RT good choice on wild camping, much more enjoyable and you can vary each day depending on how you feel / how much food you have.

Not sure how much experience you have, but I suggest spending a couple of nights in the Peaks before hand. I quite often go to Hayfield and head up towards Kinder Scout for a spot of camping, only a 3 hour drive from home.

I think what you can learn in even a few short trips would be invaluable with regards to required kit, navigation skills etc

#52228 - 15/11/09 05:01 PM Re: I did it!! Whoo hoo!! [Re: *tim*]
Reluctanttrucker Offline

Originally Posted By: *tim*
RT good choice on wild camping, much more enjoyable and you can vary each day depending on how you feel / how much food you have.

Not sure how much experience you have, but I suggest spending a couple of nights in the Peaks before hand. I quite often go to Hayfield and head up towards Kinder Scout for a spot of camping, only a 3 hour drive from home.

I think what you can learn in even a few short trips would be invaluable with regards to required kit, navigation skills etc

Hi Tim.
No experience whatsoever,the last time I did anything of thelike,a sergeant was shouting to " get you f*&"in feet up you orrible little erbet"
Yup Mad as hatters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917