The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2892
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1691
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8273 Members
17 Forums
3452 Topics
36009 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52109 - 10/11/09 05:11 AM Advice for timing and route
wying12 Offline

Loc: Sunnyvale, California, USA
Hi,

After several years of busy work, I finally will be able to do the c2c walk. I even got a good friend to go with me.

Unfortunately we only have a week to do the walk. We are hoping to do the most exciting part. Can you advice on a route that is around a week?

We do have flexibility in timing. Which month should we choose?

Thanks a lot!
wying12

#52113 - 10/11/09 09:41 AM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: wying12]
Harland Online   content

Loc: North Yorkshire
I would start at St. Bees and depending on how fast you walk you should get to Kirkby Stephen. Whilst all of the path has its own good points most walkers would say that the Lakes were the best but most testing bit. An alternative taking into account where you are coming from you may wish to start at Richmond and walk westwards. Richmond and Reeth are worth seeing, especially the pubs in Reeth.

As far as timing is concerned then any time from mid-April to September would be good. We have public holidays on 3 May,
31 May and 30 August and those weeks will probably be quite busy. Perhaps someone else could let you know when the main school holidays are as these are likely to be busy as well.

Whatever route you take you will have fun and lots of company in the evenings.
Pennine Way 2005&2014; C2C 2006; SWCP 2007; WHW 2008; GGW 2008; Dales Way 2011; Clev.W 2012; Yorkshire W.W. 2012; Offa's Dyke 2013; Peddars Way & Norfolk Coast Path 2014; Pembrokeshire Coast Path 2015: LEJoG in stages 2018: Camino 5/2019.

#52117 - 10/11/09 12:01 PM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: Harland]
Black Sailor Offline

I agree with Harland - St Bees to Kirkby Stepehn is easily done in a week, and Kirkby Stepehn is a good point to break off as it has a rail service (but trains are intermittent, so check times in advance).

The Lake District has the best scenery, so it also has the most visitors, so if you can avoid the school holidays (two weeks either side of Easter, a week beginning Monday 31 May, and July and August) it would be best

#52126 - 10/11/09 06:47 PM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: wying12]
Stottie Offline

Loc: Derbyshire, England
In a week you could enjoy yourself far more in the Lake District without trundling across to Kirkby Stephen.

Compared with the Lake District, the walk from St Bees to Ennerdale isn't special, nor is the walk from Haweswater to Krkby Stephen. You risk "book-ending" the week with two relatively dull treks.

Old Wainwright himself would rarely have left the Lake District for either of those jaunts. Get a nice billet in the Lake District and enjoy varied hikes in England's finest scenery without having to carry your kit. Get the bus to alternative start points for your walks. With an Ordnance Survey map in one hand and a beer in the other, you can have a wonderful time.

#52128 - 10/11/09 07:45 PM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: Stottie]
cmet Offline

I also agree - the Lakes were just awesome and def the biggest challenge...

We managed to get to Reeth in a week without killing ourselves - Reeth would be a nice place to finish as its a nice traditional little village with pubs etc, but Kirby Stephen is no doubt best for transport...

#52164 - 12/11/09 08:00 PM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: cmet]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
If you're not going to walk the whole route then whats the point? Just spend a week in the lakes enjoying its better parts.

Failing that the West Highland Way can be completed in week

#52165 - 12/11/09 09:20 PM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: *tim*]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
Or the Cumbria Way in only 5 days and spend a couple of extra days in the Lake District as you pass through.

#52172 - 13/11/09 07:15 AM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: Gregg]
Kate's Dad Offline

Loc: Derbyshire
Did the Dales Way and then the Cumbria Way last summer. Found the Cumbria Way to be a superb LDW. Ulverston to Coniston to Langdales to Keswick to Caldbeck to Carlisle. OK the bit to Carlisle isn't great but the rest is.

#52192 - 13/11/09 06:10 PM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: *tim*]
Black Sailor Offline

Originally Posted By: *tim*
If you're not going to walk the whole route then whats the point?

Because you can come back and do the other half another day, when you've got another week to spare. That's what I did and it worked very well. smirk

#52204 - 14/11/09 09:26 AM Re: Advice for timing and route [Re: Black Sailor]
*tim* Offline

Loc: Suffolk
Originally Posted By: Black Sailor
Originally Posted By: *tim*
If you're not going to walk the whole route then whats the point?

Because you can come back and do the other half another day, when you've got another week to spare. That's what I did and it worked very well. smirk

In fairness I doubt you travelled from the States to do it in two parts, a 7000 mile round trip is a long way for a half walk.

I appreciate that time off work can be difficult, and not saying the C2C can not be enjoyed in two, three, fours trips but if it was me I'd spend the week exploring the lakes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: [email protected]

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917