The Sherpa Van Project Baggage Moving Service Accommodation booking service Sherpa Van Home Choose which trail you want to follow Sherpa Van Home Sherpa Van Shop Sherpa Van Message Board Contact us About the Sherpa Van Project
Advertising

Coast to Coast and other paths booking now!

Daily Dales Way Passenger Service

Baggage and Accommodation Booking Services for Walking Holidays in Britain - Now Booking!

Top Posters
Slogger 2887
Lounge Lizard 2013
slowcoach 1925
Oldun 1750
lightweightmick 1685
Find Us On Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Meet other Sherpa Van Forum members on Facebook
Forum Stats
8254 Members
17 Forums
3451 Topics
35961 Posts

Max Online: 257 @ 05/10/16 05:36 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#52237 - 16/11/09 07:36 PM WHW next
Fell_Over Offline

Hi everyone,new here so please be gentle.
Anyway as the title suggests i am looking at doing the WHW in the summer taking 8 days,the itinery being:

Stage 1: Milngavie to Drymen
Stage 2: Drymen to Rowardennan
Stage 3: Rowardennan to Inverarnan
Stage 4: Inverarnan to Crianlarich
Stage 5: Crianlarich to Bridge Of Orchy
Stage 6: Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse
Stage 7: Kingshouse to Kinlochleven
Stage 8: Kinlochleven to Fort William

I will probably fly(maybe train)to Glasgow but i was wondering if anyone on here has done the walk a few times or recently as i would like to know if there is a youth hostel in Milngavie to stay the night before i set off,and then hostels at all the destinations on route.
All/any information appreciated........thanks.

#52246 - 17/11/09 03:13 AM Re: WHW next [Re: Fell_Over]
Gregg Offline

Loc: Cotati, CA, USA
SYHA hostels are at Rowardennan, Crianlarich and at the foot of Ben Nevis (Glen Nevis). At Fort William. there is a backpacker hostel and a bunkhouse. There are wigwams at Beinglas Farm near Inverarnan, a bunkhouse at Bridge of Orchy and a hostel/bunkhouse in Kinlochleven. Nothing that I know of at Milngavie....just stay at a good b&b like Best Foot Forward/Westview to get a refreshed start on the WHW, or take an early train from Glasgow, only 20 min. I hear you can find wigwams after Gartness (just before Drymen) but I don't know anything about them. As for Kingshouse, that's all there is....enjoy it, and don't miss the climbers bar at the back of the hotel.

#52250 - 17/11/09 01:55 PM Re: WHW next [Re: Gregg]
Janice & Rottie Offline

Loc: Coniston, Cumbria, UK
When I did it, I stayed at a B&B in Milngavie (can't remember the name as it was a while ago). It was great because I had a yummy Indian meal that night in the town, and the next morning I left my car opposite the Police Station. I dropped the details of my car etc. into them and they kept an eye on it until I returned.

#52257 - 17/11/09 07:09 PM Re: WHW next [Re: Janice & Rottie]
Slogger Offline

Loc: West Lancs.
You could go Invararnan to Tyndrum then Tyndrum to Kinghouse like we did. That would save a day (Day 8) with which you could ascend Ben Nevis like many do that complete the WHW.
Dave.

#52436 - 24/11/09 12:53 PM Re: WHW next [Re: Fell_Over]
midgetarget Offline

Loc: Cardiff, UK
I can fully recommend Beinglas Farm for camping near Inveranan.
This was the most organised campsite I've ever been to! They even had a bar and served steak and chips. The Inveranan Hotel is within walking distance and not to be missed. There was a bagpiper there when we were there...the place was fantastic.
PS The slight downside though...there were some mozzies around the campsite. (end of May).

midgetarget

#52444 - 24/11/09 02:47 PM Re: WHW next [Re: midgetarget]
Lounge Lizard Offline

Loc: Stafford
Originally Posted By: midgetarget
I can fully recommend Beinglas Farm for camping near Inveranan.
This was the most organised campsite I've ever been to! They even had a bar and served steak and chips. The Inveranan Hotel is within walking distance and not to be missed. There was a bagpiper there when we were there...the place was fantastic.
PS The slight downside though...there were some mozzies around the campsite. (end of May).

midgetarget

So the bagpipes didn't work in keeping the mozzies away !

#55423 - 17/05/10 06:01 PM Re: WHW next [Re: Fell_Over]
Fell_Over Offline

After recently completing the C2C i am now preparing my itinerary for the WHW.Due to commitments/timescale i will however be reducing the original itinerary by one day and therefore completing the walk in 7 days,meaning from Inverarnan i will omit Crianlarich and instead stop at Bridge Of Orchy.
I will now also be travelling with my partner so if anyone has recently returned from this walk i/we would be very grateful to hear of any decent places on this itinerary which would accomodate the 2 of us(i will be without the tent now,so b&b' at the least).
Thanks again.
Originally Posted By: Fell_Over
Hi everyone,new here so please be gentle.
Anyway as the title suggests i am looking at doing the WHW in the summer taking 8 days,the itinery being:

Stage 1: Milngavie to Drymen
Stage 2: Drymen to Rowardennan
Stage 3: Rowardennan to Inverarnan
Stage 4: Inverarnan to Crianlarich
Stage 5: Crianlarich to Bridge Of Orchy
Stage 6: Bridge of Orchy to Kingshouse
Stage 7: Kingshouse to Kinlochleven
Stage 8: Kinlochleven to Fort William

I will probably fly(maybe train)to Glasgow but i was wondering if anyone on here has done the walk a few times or recently as i would like to know if there is a youth hostel in Milngavie to stay the night before i set off,and then hostels at all the destinations on route.
All/any information appreciated........thanks.

#55455 - 18/05/10 09:44 PM Re: WHW next [Re: Fell_Over]
Slogger Offline

As 7 days is the usual pace of most who do the WHW, at this late stage you may well have difficulty getting B&B accommodation, especially if starting on a Saturday. It will be easier if starting on a weekday, especially midweek.
Dave.

#55518 - 24/05/10 08:25 AM Re: WHW next [Re: Slogger]
Fell_Over Offline

Well i finally managed to complete my itinerary after some alterations but thankfully we're all booked for mid September.

1) to Drymen(b&b)
2) '' Rowardennan(yh)
3) '' Inversnaid(bunkhouse)
4) '' Crianlarich(yh)
5) '' Bridge-Of Ochy(hotel bunkhouse)
6) '' Kinlochleven(bunkhouse)
7) '' Fort William.

Its not even been 2 weeks since i got back from walking the Coast2Coast which i completed in 12 days.I am guesing the WHW will be somewhat easier in comparison,obviously in distance too.I do wonder however how popular this walk is and if many others will be on the trail.Certainly the C2C path even when i started(30 April-11 May)was already getting busy......the Julia effect no doubt.

#55555 - 26/05/10 11:46 AM Re: WHW next [Re: Fell_Over]
Slogger Offline

It will be busy but nowhere near as the C2C. As for being easy, yes it is mostly following the Glens with a few short climbs, even the notorious Devils Staircase is a piece of cake and not very long.
Why not leave Kinlochleven early, say 6am and include Ben Nevis en route to Fort William. I did this and still reached Fort William for 4.30pm.
Dave.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  justin, noj 

Home  Baggage Service   Accommodation Booking  Trail Planning   Useful Links   Book Store   About Us

E-Mail: info@sherpavan.com

© Sherpa Van, 1b Osiers Road, London, SW18 1NL. Registered No: 3179698. T: 01748 826917